|SaaS contracts have all been quite the same for far too long, specifically, always requiring 12 month minimum commitments.|
Having worked at companies big and small, I've experienced a range of issues with this lack of flexibility. Would love to hear if the community has as well, and if so, any ways around feeling "stuck" in a contract?
To start the discussion, here are some issues I've had:
1. The software doesn't meet expectations, or a feature is missing. Forced to twist things around and spend my eng. time fixing gaps
2. Roadmaps change. 6 months after buying a tool, we realize it's not solving for a high priority project / challenge
3. A competitor emerges that seems far better suited to my needs better than the current vendor. We all know how quickly solutions pop up, especially in the martech space
4. Implementation is a mess, and an inflection point is reached where the cost of continuing to implement will lead to negative ROI. This has been a super tricky spot for my teams!
5. At scrappy companies, 12 month commitments are a big challenge from cash flow and risk factor perspective
What experiences have you all had?