Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login
Does “www.” Mean Better Transport Layer Security? (iacr.org)
121 points by MrXOR 33 days ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 62 comments



This may be surprising to some people, but it's not a new pheonoema and I feel it's kinda known in TLS circles. Everyone who's done scans on TLS vulnerabilities should know this (speaking as one of the authors of the ROBOT attack).

What's often going on is that the www domain is delegated via DNS to a thirdparty service provider, while the apex domain is hosted on some appliance and just does a simple redirect. The reason for that is that you can't do DNS delegation for an apex domain.

During our ROBOT investigations we found a particularly weird example: We found a particularly severe variant of our vulnerability in old versions of Cisco ACE load balancers. Cisco told us that these were out of support, so they're not gonna get fixed. Turns out: they used one of them to redirect cisco.com to www.cisco.com.


Another implication of this result is: even if the transport layer security appears to be secure, it's possible that it only indicates the CDN setup, and the actual upstream servers are insecure.

Which means, a latest and greatest TLSv1.3 server you see may be ultimately backed by a vulnerable TLSv1.0 upstream server (or even unencrypted HTTP!).

Great news for the NSA indeed!


Disclaimer: Asking from a place of ignorance/naivity

What does this mean for SSL termination? E.g. SSL terminates at cloudflare, internal (behind firewall) all http-sans-s?


That depends on whether that site has Flexible or Full SSL setting enabled.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170416-E...


My gut says that such a thing is a bad idea and TLS for internal communications is best practice. Hard to implement though.


Hard to implement but I’m slowly dragging org teama into it.


This explains why nvidia.com has terrible TLS [1] config while all their other domains are ok [2] (in particular, the domains hosting the driver downloads as ok [3]).

1 - https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=nvidia.com

2 - https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.nvidia.co...

3 - https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=us.download.n...


I’m not sure I grasp the situation. Does this mean that third parties can modify DNS entries?


Well, yes, if you let them.

DNS is hierarchical. If your DNS server manages example.com then you can set a delegation for a subdomain - e.g. www.example.com - to someone else. I.e. you could say "for this subdomain the nameservers from google's cloud service are responsible". You can go further and e.g. configure the google cloud service so that abc.www.example.com goes yet to another DNS service.

So a company could say "we manage the DNS for our domain inhouse, but for www. we let some other company do it and pay them for it". This is pretty standard.


> Does this mean that third parties can modify DNS entries?

Not only DNS entries, but 3rd-parties can wiretap/modify arbitrary content in all web pages if you use a CDN. That's essentially how CDNs work, you have to trust a 3rd-party if you detegate your request to a 3rd-party. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but there is no other way around. And in case of CloudFlare, the DNS is already fully controlled by CloudFlare.


If only CNAME flattening was part of the standard.


CNAME flattening makes things kind of work, but if your CDN is using DNS to provide different IPs to different clients, doing a host lookup at your normal authoritative isn't going to work as well; ECS can help a bit, and maybe using anycast for apex domains helps; but it's a challenge to do well unless you delegate the whole domain.


> Additionally, 24.71% of these redirections contains [...] HTTP intermediate URLs.

One problem I've found is that if you have a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS, then you don't notice an extra redirect from HTTPS to HTTP (e.g. redirect from HTTPS plain domain to HTTP www, which then in the next request get upgraded from HTTP www to HTTPS www).

Combine that with the fact that it is surprisingly difficult to prevent the AWS load balancer from redirecting from HTTPS to HTTP. Literally Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, Jetty all get it wrong out of the box. I had to write this blog post to prevent myself from getting it wrong in the future: https://www.databasesandlife.com/jetty-redirect-keep-https/

The particular application I discovered that on did not accept HTTP traffic, so I discovered the extra redirect. Most people don't.


> Literally Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, Jetty all get it wrong out of the box.

Absolutely correct, it's surprisingly difficult to get a really good working configuration with no weird fallbacks or side effects and have working http2. I have five server blocks per domain name when using nginx, some are reusable though, here:

* Port 80 with wrong domain - close connection, nothing legit does this

* Port 80 with right (www. and .) domain - redirect to https://

* Port 443 with no SNI - close connection, nothing legit does this

* Port 443 with www. SNI (http2 enabled) - redirect

* Port 443 with . SNI (http2 enabled) - display proper page

Not surprisingly it tremendously cut down the amount of exploit scanners and bad bots from logs (they seem to rely on everyone not enforcing SNI) and managed to hide the server from Shodan :D. This is of course not to diss nginx, other servers e.g. caddy and apache were worse or even impossible to configure to the same point.


> other servers e.g. caddy and apache were worse or even impossible to configure to the same point.

Hm? What about TLS is difficult with Caddy?


Nothing about TLS, a lot about getting the same setup as I can with nginx. E.g. getting rid of the behaviour of random TLS certificate from random block being served when no SNI matches (wtf?) and closing the connection instead.


Hmm, are you using the latest versions of Caddy? That definitely shouldn't be the case. If you are, please file a bug report! If you aren't, please upgrade. :)


If you're just going to redirect www to . why not make it a CNAME instead of a hop?


CNAME in this case makes no difference vs an A/AAAA record. The HTTP side of things doesn't care what kind of DNS record it was, but will be affected by what the fqdn is, since it will affect cookie propagation and other security things in the browser.


CNAME would just resolve `www.` as `.`. Browsers and search engines would still need to be instructed to use the non www. address.


It's usually better not to have the same content at two urls. Whichever one you choose, the other should redirect to; or if you're picky like me, trying to go to the non-published one should send you to the home page on the other --- this reduces the tendency of others to link to the wrong form.


What does the server block for 443 with no SNI look like?

I wasn't aware that one could test for the existence of SNI in the server block.


  server {
      listen {replace_with_some_ip} ssl;
      listen {replace_with_some_ipv6} ssl;

      ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/snakeoil.pem;
      ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/snakeoil.key;

      server_name _ {replace_with_some_ip} {replace_with_some_ipv6};

      return 444;
  }

Should catch all TLS connections that have no SNI or try to connect straight with just IP and if snakeoil is generated right then it doesn't instantly reveal what's the real hostname.


There is thankfully HSTS and upgrade-insecure-requests, but they shouldn't be needed here…


Interesting. From my observation less and less sites actually use the www subdomain. Some give plain 404, domain not found, certificate errors and similar when browsing them with (or without) www, depending on how they are set up. It's a mess, really. Usually they actually behave the same, including TLS configuration etc.

Also something I observe daily: When I tell someone to go to "example.com" some will punch in "www.example.com", others will simply do "example.com". There is also the ultra rare occurrence of someone typing in "http://www.example.com".

Personally I just configure www to point at the same as the regular domain and have the www as a "subject alternative name" in the certificates. And in Nginx it's as easy as just adding it to the "server_name". I suspect it's the same for all other major HTTPDs.


Annoyingly Chrome doesn't even show the 'www' any more unless you actually click on the URL bar


These URL mangling behaviours of Chrome are getting really insane. It kind of works for very well known, ultra large sites like Facebook, Youtube, Google and other large corporations, but how are you supposed to know whether you're at the right place for the myriad of smaller and/or personal websites if most of the URL is hidden?


That’s the whole idea


Honestly, you should be redirecting from either www. to . or vice versa, having one of them broken or doing something else is bad in 99.99% of cases.


The way you are using "www." and "." is incorrect. The dot isn't part of the local hostname "www". It is a separator or delimiter for the textual elements in the domain name. "Redirecting from (or to) ." is a weird and as far as I know completely wrong way to talk about redirecting from or to the domain name one level up in the hierarchy. The only time a dot plays any role in a domain name (other than that of a simple separator) is when it's used at the end of the fully qualified domain name.


What if I'm talking about redirecting an entire TLD "www" to ""?

Obviously it's a separator, I just found writing "" and "www" too weird. Not to mention that in this context where you're not really a recursive DNS resolver it really doesn't matter how one specifies the existence or lack of it of a subdomain. In addition to that some things use "@" (instead of the dot I used).


Whether it feels weird or not, the hostname label is "www".

The hostname-as-tld example is sort of against the rules:

https://serverfault.com/questions/907226/is-it-possible-to-c...

Either way, "." by itself can only meaningfully refer to the root, not some arbitrary enclosing domain name. There is no way you will convince me that using "." as a shorthand for "parent domain" is a good idea, for that and all the other reasons.


For me it even takes two clicks: The first will just mark the visible URL, the second will reveal the complete URL including the protocol.


I understand the idea of highlighting the apex domain, due to malicious sites. bankofamerica.com.site.eu/login, and so on. I wonder if they could have done some other kind of highlighting or UI trick to promote the "site.eu" portion of the link, rather than hiding the subdomains.


chrome://flags


I wonder how generalizable your experience is, though. I imagine this could very well be a trend in tech circles, where knowledge is widespread that "www" is mostly optional and the domain name is the relevant part. (And people tend to enter a lot of urls manually so they shorten them as much as possible).

I could imagine that this might be different among non-technical users, where the exact meaning of domains, subdomains and the "https" and "www" prefixes are less well-known.

I have no data to back that up, though.


My (also non-data backed) guess would be it's a generational thing.

When I was a kid in the early 2000's, most web addresses were "www.domain.com", that's what you'd see on written material like advertising or articles. These days if an ad has a web address it usually doesn't include the `www.` subdomain.


I would say the opposite. From my experience technical users are the ones that insist on "www" while non-technical users just follow the general trend of eliding it and are unaware of what it means exactly.


Weird. I'd rather say that tech users would use shorter version because there should be no diff between www/nowww


Why should there inherently be no difference?. They are simply nMes.

I’ve had people tell me things are broken when I send them to foo.example.com and they insist on typing the nonexistent www.foo.example.com.


Exactly. The point is that there is a difference between www and nowww. The only reason they usually lead to the same result nowadays is a social convention and those can change arbitrarily. Tech people are aware of this but non-tech people notice and learn this convention by association and might be (and from my experience, are) unaware that it is not a technically guaranteed one.


For SEO reasons you should redirect to either one.


I use www. for everything because of cookies, when having cookies on the plain domain they are on every subdomain automatically, while having them on www. is exclusively for www.


I like your idea but it's based on false assumptions. See RFC6265. Depending on the implementation on the backend side (specifically the "Set-Cookie" header) it's possible to handle a cookie generated on "www.example.com" on "example.com" or "sub.example.com" ... and all other possible combinations.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6265


With the correct configuration, www.example.com cookies do not leak over all subdomains, but it's impossible to configure example.com cookies to _not_ leak over all subdomains.


If you omit the domain it shouldn't leak, though as with many things web it's browser-specific: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#Domain_and_path


A quick summary from a layman: Most websites that have both a www-domain (www.example.com) and a plain domain (example.com) tend to have better security configurations on the www-domain. It's worth noting that they seem to have scanned only for some known weaknesses, and that there is no law stating that www-domains must be stronger. Also, some websites that implement both www and plain may implement a redirect to a weaker configuration (oops). They analyzed about 1.3 million websites, so it's a decent chunk of the internet.

Of note to me is that they didn't comment on why they might be configured differently. As in, does following a popular tutorial to configure Apache or Nginx neglect the plain domain? You couldn't determine the reason through a web scan so I don't blame the researchers for offering the reason. They also don't offer any way to fix the disparity. Obviously, the best practice is to just configure your server's www and plain domains correctly, but clearly most of the internet isn't following their best practices checklist.


The crap apex domain difference is probably explainable due to the fact you can't CNAME an apex (Yes, some CDN's/systems have work arounds).

So www gets put behind a nicely configured CDN with decent TLS settings, whereas the apex gets a crappy HTTP redirection service or maybe worse, the actual origin itself, serving up a half baked config.


Highly probable. Cloudflare, for example, has CNAME flattening to address this problem.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cname-flattening-rfc...


www is more secure to use than the root domain because of how cookies are set. Setting a cookie for the www subdomain ensures that it’s only available for that subdomain and not globally across all subdomains. It makes sense that sites that use www are generally more secure.


> www is more secure to use than the root domain because of how cookies are set.

> Setting a cookie for the www subdomain ensures that it’s only available for that subdomain and not globally across all subdomains.

No, www is not more secure because of cookies. As you said, it depends on how cookies are set, which is up to the host, as this is defined in the HTTP headers coming from the server. It's possible to access a cookie from "www.example.com" on "example.com" or "sub.example.com" if it's configured like that on the backend. Also the browser needs to comply. (Protip: most browsers do)


> It's possible to access a cookie from "www.example.com" on "example.com" or "sub.example.com" if it's configured like that on the backend.

Ok but to my knowledge it is impossible to set a cookie on example.com and make it inaccessible to subdomain.example.com.


That's not true at all.

Try document.cookie = 'a=b' in a browser console on non-www domain and then do document.cookie on the www variant.

You'll see it not set. (The cookie will only be accessible on subdomains if you include the domain explicitly, like document.cookie = 'a=b;domain=toplevel.domain')


My understanding that doesn't work on old versions of IE.


Yeah, because the WHATWG folks changed the spec after 20 years. Not because IE implemented the wrong thing. Not surprising folks in this thread remember the old spec, which was valid for longer.


True, not even IE11.


It's not a bug, it's a feature /s


Note that by default Google analytics puts the cookies on the root domain, and you need to change the JavaScript snippet to avoid that.

Cloudflare also puts cookies on the root domain.

I definitely agree though.


You can set cookies in a way that they are only accessible on the top domain.


> Further analysis of the top domains dataset shows that 53.35% of the plain-domains that show one or more weakness indicators (e.g. expired certificate) that are not shown in their equivalent www-domains

And Chrome still wants to fool the user into thinking these two domains are the same.[0]

Great job, Google.

[0] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20626807


Related tangent: use of a "www" CNAME provides a convenient safety net of sorts when it comes to mitigating DDoS attacks.


I asked a question about this exact topic on Information Security over 4 years ago, which received very little attention but the one answer it received came to the same general conclusion (possibility of protocol differences):

https://security.stackexchange.com/q/91717/78662

However, if these are hosted on the same server, there is a long-standing bug in Apache that forces the same protocol and cipher suite for all virtual hosts:

https://serverfault.com/a/698478/293818




Applications are open for YC Winter 2020

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: