Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

Oh gosh I just realized I don't have the self control to teach children. Context: I'm a software engineer.

All my explanations would be the "realistic" but kinda sarcastic answers.

Computer Engineer - Copy's pastes code until it works.

Rocket Scientists - Spend 50% of the time designing rockets, and 50% of their time hoping the rocket doesn't explode.

Locomotive Engineer - Whoops this isn't a real engineer! /s /s

Hey, at least locomotive engineers never copy and paste from StackOverflow!

My friend that's a locomotive engineer in a really pretty part of BC once told me this pickup line "Hey baby, I get to drive a multi-million dollar company vehicle, with a full window view of gorgeous mountain landscapes, with flexible hours!"

(by flexible hours I mean he has no sleep schedule and may have to work 12+ hour shifts at any time of the day, with the possibility of a 8 hour break and another 12 hour shift)

They overflow a different kind of stacks.

Rocket science is easy! Rocket engineering on the other hand...

Is the difference larger (and more expensive) explosions?

If so sign me up! :D

So what do you call an engineer that designs/optimises/etc. locomotives?

I am not positive, but I think Mechanical Engineer.

"Mechanical engineering is the discipline that applies engineering, physics, engineering mathematics, and materials science principles to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering disciplines. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_engineering

My father was one, but designed gas compressors for oil & gas industry.

I'd go with SapporoChris's answer with Mechanical Engineer.

Locomotive Engineer's basically are the one in charge of operating the locomotive. What most people think of as a "Conductor" is actually a lower level job and is mostly paper work from what I hear.

Source: Close friend is a Locomotive Engineer in Canada.

We call them train drivers in the UK. I think it's a bit too muchbto call them engineers...

Well, another term for a locomotive is an engine, a train engine. So a person who works on those is an engine-eer.

Well, you made me laugh. Have a free +1

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact