Please excuse the tone I'm using. I'm just working out my style, and so on. Not an excuse. Just asking for kindness while I work out a writing voice.
Anyway I can summarize here:
- try to send many file types on GMail, get blocked for security reasons
- convert the file to a text file using https://textonly.github.io/txtmode
- attach the text file to the email and send it no problemo
- use the same link to convert the text file back to the archive
- congratulations you just used GMail to send a file GMail ( in its infinite wisdom ) did not want you to send
I'm not making this as a hack and I hope no one uses it to do bad stuff obviously, this is just to get over the poorly implemented "threat scan" GMail currently uses, which blocks plenty of useful and harmless files, and which disingenuously forces the "workaround" of uploading to GDrive.
This tool is hosted on GitHub pages. You can view the source code here: https://github.com/textonly/txtmode
> Please excuse the tone I'm using. I'm just working out my style, and so on. Not an excuse. Just asking for kindness while I work out a writing voice.
I enjoyed the style. Lots of people aren't able to pull it off but I thought it worked well. It was fun enough to read that I made it through to the end:) It did end on a bit of a sour note - clashing with all the above:
> if you really have some major issue and couldn't be bothered to fix it yourself but believe I could be bothered to fix it
You went from very approachable (fun read, open source, caring about the work you do) to the opposite of that (and not caring about the product once it was completed).
Also, great solution to a gmail annoyance. I had one concern which was answered on the page itself: "any files for download here will not persist beyond page reload"