- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson. It's helping me focus only on the things I really want.
- Deep Work by Cal Newport. I have almost no social media now, and I value uninterrupted time greatly.
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Quite sobering honestly. I realize I'm spoiled AF.
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink. I'm more conscientious of my (and my close friends') plans and I try to help them as much as possible. No excuses. Also the military discipline/mindset is really inspiring.
- Tribe of Mentors by Tim Ferriss. I haven't finished it but this is what I read before sleeping, I can just flip the page anywhere and I read something cool
- Total Freedom by J Krishnamurti
- Wit and Wisdom from Poor Richard’s Almanack: Benjamin Franklin
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius by Marcus Aurelius
- 10% Human: How Your Body’s Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness by Alanna Collen
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert Pirsig
- What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir by Haruki Murakami
- Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Harari
- The Complete Adventures of Feluda (Volume 1) by Satyajit Ray
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
- Do I Make Myself Clear? Why Writing Well Matters
- This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike
- A Life in Parts
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
- Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be
- The Power of the Other: The startling effect other people have on you, from the boardroom to the bedroom and beyond-and what to do about it
- The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads
- The Compassionate Achiever: How Helping Others Fuels Success
- The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
I found the book to be beautiful and practically useful. I am going to continue my resolve in '18 by not reading and instead applying what I have already read towards more productive and joyous life. I think I have plenty to go on with.
The Beginning of Infinity - David Deutsch
Dear Friend, From My Life I Write To You in Your Life - Yiyun Li
Hillbilly Elegy - JD Vance
Inadequate Equilibria - Eliezer Yudkowsky
The Neapolitan Novels - Elena Ferrante
Mating In Captivity - Esther Perel
Our Mathematical Universe - Max Tegmark
Radical Candor - Kim Scott
Scale - Geoffrey West
The Seventh Day - Yu Hua
Somebody with a Little Hammer - Mary Gaitskill
Stubborn Attachments - Tyler Cowen (ebook)
What Do You Care What Other People Think? - Richard Feynman
* The Obstacle is the Way, Ryan Holiday
* The Daily Stoic, Ryan Holiday
* Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl
* Siddhartha, Herman Hesse
* The Personal MBA, Josh Kaufman
* The Effective Engineer, Edmund Lau
* The Lean Startup, Eric Ries
* Certain to Win, Chet Richards
* Left of Bang, Patrick Van Horn & Jason A. Riley
* Native Set Theory, Paul R. Halmos
* Introducing Go, by Caleb Doxsey.
If you'd like to read what I think of these books, you can read my blog post about them here: http://aalhour.com/blog/2018/01/02/review-of-my-2017-reading...
System 1 and System 2 remind me somewhat of the Buddhist/mindfulness/whatever idea of "the watched" and "the watcher".
Where 1 is instinctual, reactive, emotional (aka "autopilot") and 2 is awareness part of the mind that says "I notice instinct/emotion X" and considers one's current state before acting.
"A Man for All Markets: From Las Vegas to Wall Street, How I Beat the Dealer and the Market" by Edward O. Thorp
Curing Cancer with Immunotherapy by Rene Chee and Edward Chee was interesting and informative as well as it describes Rene's cancer experience and immunotherapy which I knew nothing about.
Digital Gold by Nathaniel Popper.
Inner Engineering by Jaggi Vasudev.
Sapiens by Yuval Harari.
Zero to One by Peter Thiel.
- Who Moved My Cheese?
- Che Guevara: A Life by Nick Caistor
- A Case of Exploding Mangoes