I just set up a free ssl cert via AWS yesterday for serving static assets and securing an API Gateway endpoint (previously was using a free Lets Encrypt cert). So hopefully there will be more ways around certification authorities who charge.
Some of these folks are taking plea deals to get out on time served. That time they are serving? It's accrued while they are waiting to go to trial. In a hideously over crowded prison system with overworked public defenders, the right to a speedy trial is a thing of the past. Here is a particularly terrible story of this kind: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/06/before-the-law
I like to think that Roland Barthes would have loved to use "The Road Not Taken" in his piece "Death of the Author". Truly, at a scale that's frankly staggering, agency has been given to the reader—though one could also argue that the clipped version of the poem often remembered is a case of remixing and rewriting and that the agency isn't merely passive interpretation but a very active creative endeavor.
Granted, I'm only 30, so take my anecdotal experience as an older person with a grain of salt, but I've found that getting older isn't so hard as everyone seems to get nicer in their 30s. Life's easier when people are nicer.
Searching for "What happened to the dinosaurs" returns in the answer box the text "Google is Wrong About What Happened to the Dinosaurs", which is a cute instance of the Liar's Paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox
A few of the flux implementations have the concept of "rehydrating" state (serializing and deserializing the stores), which does allow the client side to reuse the data and keeps the component from refetching the data.
A useful pattern I discovered was fetching just what is necessary to render the page on the server. Then pass the state to the window object through a script tag and recover the data on the client side and rehydrate. Any additional data (or potentially slow returning), I fetch client side via `componentDidMount`  which isn't called on the server. This way, I can get a loading screen up as quickly as possible with a few elements custom to the user.
I should note that even thought the flux library I was using, flummox , works great for this, I can't recommend it as in the month and a half I was working on my project they've decided to quit and recommend a different library, so I'm not sure what to recommend now (the frustration I feel over this quick turnaround is an entirely separate topic, though).
Depending on the kind of content t you have, that's hardly an issue. I've built a big site like this, and gzip does an extremely good job at filtering out duplicate data. Check the source of http://viva.vlaanderen/
when you view the source of your page, you see that very little of the dehydrated state is used to build your initial markup.
The entire rendered source is 142K. I isolated the actual markup, and it weighs in at 31K.
In other words, your dehydrated state is 4x bigger than your html rendering. And that's not including your 750K main.js file that also gets downloaded.
That's almost 1MB of downloads (not including images and stylesheets) just to "app-ify" your 31K of markup. I tend to agree, it's not a problem. Or perhaps, it's not one of the biggest problems. But it's not "hardly an issue" either.