1. We are updating the documentation in response to the feedback in this thread and in the blog post. Additional feedback is always welcome.
2. Based on the feedback in the blog post, mappings can now access the JSON body of a POST. See the answer (login required) at https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=645596&#... .
3. Models are not required for validation. They are simply used to generate the objects in the client SDKs.
I’ll update my original posts so that they do not misinform others and I look forward to future improvements.
One additional thing that would be incredibly useful is a simple blog post that describes steps/options one could take to increase API Gateway + Lambda response times. I'm fiddling with this now, but I wish I had some guidance as to where to focus my optimizations and how to make them, all in one place and straight from the source (AWS). For example, I'd love some examples on API Gateway caching, making my API accessible in multiple regions, how to make my Lambda functions faster, and why my first requests to my API Gateway + Lambda routes are so slow even after only a few minutes of inactivity. On a first request, my Lambda function will run for 1.2 seconds but the network request as a whole takes 2.8-3.2 seconds, yet every immediate subsequent request comes in much faster (~1.4 seconds)(Everything is in the same us-east region). If there is nothing I can do about this because the server my lambda function is on has been de-prioritized due to minutes of inactivity and is in an idle state, then the guide on optimizing elsewhere is even more necessary. This is the last piece of the story that is missing for me personally, and it causes me to hesitate before deploying more code. Also, if you have this written already and I've missed it, please let me know!
Overall, you've lowered the barriers to entry and increased efficiency so much I plan on deploying much more server side code than ever before.
- Execution response time: the responses to API > Lambda > DynamoDB are too slow
- Reference Samples: we need docs and/or code samples with the most common patterns and workflows for mBaaS and IoT (i.e: user authentication with JWT and ACLs via the API > Lambda > Dynamo)
Many of us are stoked about this product. Hope you can iron out the issues that the community is raising and that are preventing wider adoption. The concept of server-less microservices via REST looks like the next big trend after containers. Hope you get it just right soon... I plan to make intensive use of this service in no time! =)
I'm also using API Gateway + Lambda + DynamoDB
All of them are very slow on first request, even the DynamoDB queries. After that, they're much quicker, unless there are maybe 5 mins of inactivity.
A good, useful, detailed blogpost that highlights a number of important blocker-level issues - and there's an unexpected, speedy response from the previously-anonymous devs announcing improvements as a result of the post and analysis itself.