A killer feature would be to change submitted links to wayback links for the submitted date. I'd love to see a bit of what the commenters are talking about.
That would be pretty uplifting, imho.
It'd probably have to include even one of my comments. :-( https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6824666 (I still can't believe it all worked out...)
Maybe I read this wrong or are you the one being cynical here? :)
It was very relevant to point that. In my case, exactly this issue made impossible to me that I even try to use Dropbox. Is the install step actually still necessary?"
This took the gold for me.
For a couple years I use to run a Wayback like newsletter similar to this, but got too busy with my weekly Hacker Newsletter (http://hackernewsletter.com) that I haven't touched it in a while.
Aaron Swartz: http://i.imgur.com/52ezERg.png
Edit: found it, http://hnhistory.net
Just pinged Dan and Scott to find out the day HN started. I believe it would have been called Startup News then.
Here's what it looked like (maybe) then.
Kudos for the dead simple interface.
I love the Steve Jobs PDF (from flyingyeti).
Is there a place where we can find all the HN stuff?
Does someone collect them?
I'm also curious about nickb. He is mentionned regularly.
It's available here: https://github.com/vmorgulys/around-hn/blob/master/readme.md
I wonder if it's not possible to keep some of the best tools alive somewhere in a VM or just in a scraped HTML version...
Comment - "Would you rather own one of the most established news institutions in the modern world or a 2 year old photo sharing startup? How is this even a question?!"
That's one of those questions where that looks a lot different at different times. :-)
What would be very interesting would be to take snapshots by time so you can see the flow of a story throughout the day.
(Shameless plug: Here's the one I made a few years ago:)
As a slightly off-topic aside, I have a GitHub repo showing how to download all Hacker News stories and comments using the Algolia API: https://github.com/minimaxir/get-all-hacker-news-submissions...
It's open source: https://github.com/doda/rewindhn
One problem I ran into, is the "More" link at the bottom of any past date, links you back to the present date and shows you the next page of results for today instead of the next page of results for the past date in question.
You're just the founder
It should be unlucky for the VC who is in SB's curse list :)
Also, I found this gem on a comment page regarding Julian Assange seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy:
I really don't think that the Metropolitan Police is going to put officers outside the Ecuador Assembly 24/7 just in case Julian Assange leaves. It just doesn't sound like a good use of the officers' time. - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4134362
That was 1095 days ago.
Techmeme has this built-in (http://www.techmeme.com/110619/h1320), would be fun to run them side-by-side!
http://www.waybackhn.com/?date=2009-9 shows 14 comments
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=818157 has 87.
For example, most of the Yotsuba archivers seem to follow this convention.
But even as just a list-by-day, it's a lot of fun to browse, especially going back many years . What did you use to build it?
 HN's first day, http://www.waybackhn.com/?date=2006-10-9
1. Y Combinator (ycombinator.com)
61 points by pg 3175 days ago | 18 comments
2. A Student's Guide to Startups (paulgraham.com)
16 points by phyllis 3175 days ago | 1 comment
3. Feld: Question Regarding NDAs (feld.com)
11 points by pg 3175 days ago | 1 comment
4. LikeBetter featured by BBC (bbc.co.uk)
10 points by frobnicate 3175 days ago | 0 comments
5. MySpace: Not a purely viral start (startup-review.com)
9 points by starklysnarky 3175 days ago | 1 comment
6. Salaries at VC-backed companies (blogs.com)
8 points by pg 3175 days ago | 3 comments
7. Google, YouTube acquisition announcement could come tonight (techcrunch.com)
7 points by perler 3175 days ago | 1 comment
8. Woz Interview: the early days of Apple (foundersatwork.com)
7 points by phyllis 3175 days ago | 1 comment
9. Best IRR ever? YouTube 1.65B... (techcrunch.com)
6 points by sama 3175 days ago | 3 comments
10. NYC Developer Dilemma (blogs.com)
5 points by onebeerdave 3175 days ago | 1 comment
11. A Story About Not Going IPO During The Bubble (usatoday.com)
5 points by starklysnarky 3175 days ago | 1 comment
12. The Hardest Lessons for Startups to Learn (paulgraham.com)
5 points by phyllis 3175 days ago | 1 comment
13. Wired: The Desktop is Dead (wired.com)
5 points by farmer 3175 days ago | 1 comment
14. Participation Inequality: Encouraging More Users to Contribute (useit.com)
5 points by frobnicate 3175 days ago | 1 comment
15. Sevin Rosen Unfunds - why? (gigaom.com)
5 points by phyllis 3175 days ago | 0 comments
16. Business Intelligence the Inkling Way: cool prediction markets software (360techblog.com)
4 points by perler 3175 days ago | 1 comment
17. Small is Beautiful: Building a Successful Company with Less Capital (zdnet.com)
4 points by pg 3175 days ago | 1 comment
18. weekendr: social network for the weekend (weekendr.com)
4 points by askjigga 3175 days ago | 0 comments
19. Voddler Raises $2.2M For Virtual Cable TV (thealarmclock.com)
3 points by farmer 3175 days ago | 1 comment
20. PhotoShow: Broadcast Photos to Cable TV (techcrunch.com)
3 points by frobnicate 3175 days ago | 1 comment
21. Will Silicon Light Illuminate the Future? (technologyreview.com)
2 points by pg 3175 days ago | 1 comment
Read the first comment.
Boy have times changed.
Now make the Wayforward version!
Very funny first comment
So, just to see how hard it is to make the longest span between article and comment :)