Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

What if you allowed composing multiple "layers" into a single output to make different parts of an otherwise busy diagrams more clear? For example, I found the bug one particularly obfuscated:

    · · · · 3 · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · 7 · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · 1 3 · · 1 · · · · · · · · · · 
    5 · · 5 · · · · · · · · · · · B · · 
    · · · · · 2 · · · 7 · · · · 2 · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · 1 · · · 1 · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · B · 9 · · · · 
    · 8 · · · 8 · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · C · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 9 
    · · · · · · · · A · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · 2 · · · · · · · · 2 · · · 
    · · · · C · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · A · · · · · 

But if you split it into two diagrams it becomes much more clear what's going on:

    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · 3 · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · 7 · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · 1 · · · 1 · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · 3 · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     5 · · 5 · · · · · · · · · · · B · · 
    · · · · · 2 · · · · · · · · 2 · · ·     · · · · · · · · · 7 · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · 1 · · · 1 · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · B · 9 · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · 8 · · · 8 · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · C · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 9 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · A · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · 2 · · · · · · · · 2 · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · C · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·     · · · · · · · · · · · · A · · · · ·  
Especially if you name them. Here, "body" and "legs". Edit: add spaces for clarity. Edit2: use cdot.



TBH, the bug is an example of where this hack should not be used :D


I agree, the bug is mostly a worst-case complexity scenario, but it seems to help with the other slightly more complex examples like the lock as well, by separating the keyhole from the rest of the shape:

    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · 1 · · · · · · 1 · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · 3 · 1 · · · · · · 1 · 4 ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · A · · A · · · · ·
    · · · 1 · · · · · · 1 · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · C D · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · A · · A · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · B E · · · · · ·
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    · 6 · · · · · · · · · · 5 ·    · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·


You are totally right, and I actually also considered doing just that initially in my code.


I've just added support for layering using '#>>>' as a layer separator to ASCIImage Super Studio (http://asciimage.org/ass):

https://twitter.com/mz2/status/579080005453398017

Your lock example from above is shown here:

https://twitter.com/hodapp/status/579082721491705856


Ermm, second link was meant to be https://twitter.com/mz2/status/579083258631073792




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | DMCA | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: