- I was a G+ user, registered with my 'real name'™
- The nymwars discussion came up, real name policies were enforced. I have strong sympathies for one faction, changed my name to 'Ben .'
- Profile suspended
- Deleted my account and deleted my Google Profile (or whatever that precursor thing was called)
If you somehow end up doing what I did, you
- will regularly end up on 'Your profile is suspended' sites. Reloading Gmail (I'm glad that I'm using it less and less) gives me a login screen, logging in shows the 'profile is suspended' bullshit. Only way out? Manually going to mail.google.com. Why a reload on a GMail site would lead to a G+ login/redirect .. I don't know.
- will be out forever. Luckily, I consider G+ as MySpace, just worse. But I DID click on the 'Your profile is suspended, please click here' link in the past. It .. leads to the very same site. In other words: You're now enjoying a suspended profile, that shows up a lot and annoys the hell out of it. You cannot make it go away, you cannot follow any links that this site offers and Google shoves it in your face again and again.
I seriously doubt that any testing was done that includes 'Your name is not agreeable' suspensions. Ever.
Of course: The link of this story here leads to a site that says:
"Your profile is currently suspended
Until your profile is unsuspended, you will be unable to use this feature.
Visit your profile to learn more."
Where 'Visit your profile to learn more.' is a link that .. shows that very same thing. Suspended people cannot delete their profile. Makes sense..
I hate this. I once had the HN circle added (was being circulated after plus' debut). After deleting my plus account, they never left my contacts list. Syncing across to my Android meant I also had my huge contacts list on the phone. I remember trying to delete these contacts but it didn't quite work and I don't know why.
Personally I think the integration is a good thing, for example now that youtube is integrated with google circles, when I comment on a video on youtube I can hide that comment from the public and only show it to my friends or family or colleagues. I assume that some day I'll be able to mail a circle from gmail and stuff like that.
Broken feature is broken.
I already asked for deletion of all my comments/submission and the account, but never got a response. I'd not be ok with having my account "disabled" like on Facebook. This is not a police database or a highly critical system where deleting records is illegal, dangerous or anything. People just submit links and talk about it, that's all and we all try to be friendly to each other here as good as possible (not always though).
I believe that letting people go and opt-out, or delete their account is not a luxury or an option, but a human right and part of a good customer service too.
My approach to HN (and also by using my real name) is that I don't really need the bulk of my participation removed at any point. If I decide to leave the community, I'm fine with the information in my profile.
This view would be far different if pg were making money off of the content and participation though. Until he is, I don't see the issue with the way things are.