Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

I am definitely no security expert, but from my feeling it seems as if unsecure protocol + secure messaging layer is much more successful in practical applications than purely secure protocols. Therefore my believe would be that improving existing secure messaging layers would help the world much more than creating another secure protocol which nobody will use because it would require to replace the whole infrastructure. Especially Email seems to be something that is unlikely to go away, because of its long history, huge infrastructure and simplicity.

The problem with e-mail is that gathering the meta-data is almost as valuable as looking inside at the message contents. Secure messaging layers aren't going to help you there - unless everyone starts using something like Tor.

Why Tor? We have had mix-nets for many years, and they do an excellent job of protecting metadata. Even old-fashioned cypherpunks remailers do a fine job at that.

Appologies for the spelling errors in this note below - it's an OCR of an old printout (I've been unable to find a current archive of cypherpunks going back this far):

Cypherpunks archive-96.02.29-96.03.06: List of reliable remailers

List of reliable remailers Anonymous Remail Service (nobody@vegas.gateway.com) Sun, 3 Mar 199609:18:03-0500

( Messages sorted by: [date][ threa4][ subject][ author] ( Next message: Adam Shostack: "Re: NYT on Crypto Bills" ( Previous message: Raph Levien: "List of reliable remailers" ( Next in thread: Black Unicorn: "Re: your mail"

Thought that this was worth reposting:

Groundfog@alpha.c2.org

( Next message: Adam Shostack: "Re: NYT on Crypto Bills" ( Previous message: Raph Levien: "List of reliable remailers" ( Next in thread: Black Unicorn: "Re: your mail"

I of 1 05.09.96 01:58

Applications are open for YC Winter 2019