Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

Yes; sexual reassignment surgery for male-to-female transsexuals exists (as does the other direction.)

The short version: They form a vagina in the pelvis and reuse the head of the penis to form a clitoris. The urethra is also rerouted. Caveat: I am nothing more than a layperson on the subject. My short version may be wrong, and there may be other surgeries available.

The longer version: Wikipedia [1] has quite a bit of information on the subject. Use incognito mode if you must; I've always found it to be a fascinating subject.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery (No images if you're worried about that.)

To quote a surgeon who does this operation: It is easier to dig a hole than build a pole.

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact