It started a couple weeks ago with me working on some internal projects. Talking with my bosses (I intern at a company called DIY), we figured the best solution would be to use GraphicsMagick. However, looking at the libraries available, they were a bit weak for what we wanted. So, I got to work. After some toying around with concepts, I decided on the task-based system. It kept things clean, but still allowed for extensibility. My bosses really helped me out to keep it clean and make sure my code was optimal. Fast forward to now, and there's wizardry!
If you (or anyone!) has any questions, feel free to ask them.