I know my sample size is extremely small, but I tend to believe these qualities help reaching the top, if they are not mandatory.
Sly, idiotic and lazy people eventually fall from the sky.
- The hold that powerful entrenched interests have over government that only maintain a positive status-quo with respect to themselves. But negative for the long term development of society
- The offensive allowance and use of patents and litigation by powerful people with the intention to slow progress lest they become obsolete.
- The lavish displays of opulence despite the fact that people are still starving to death
- The still strong existence of classicism
- The love to hate relationship society has with divas and their transformation from normal people
- The inverse proportional relationship between net-worth and probability of proper enacting of justice
- Concentrations of power in government and finance are not typically associated with honesty. Politicians, lawyers and wall street are not held as paragons of noble behavior.
- The prevalence of dictators and corrupt rulers in developing nations
- The extravagant efforts available and taken by the extremely wealthy to minimizes the relative damage of taxes.
- The paucity of efforts like the X Prize, Gates Foundation, Planetary Resources, Space X.
- The difficulty in ensuring that money given to charities actually end up being used efficiently (powerful less needy people somehow end up getting the lion's share of this aid).