To the people who are like “What did you expect to happen when you picked a .af domain, are you idiots?”
* Yes, we were aware of the possibility of suspension from the start
* Yes, we were aware that political circumstances could change
* But thumbing your nose at conservative autocrats as an even minor form of protest is fun
* In the end pretty much everyone has migrated out successfully (and I’ll continue to help anyone who remains)
* We’ve all gotten a fun story out of this
I’ve been signalling the probable demise of queer.af to my followers for the past year. We knew the end was coming; we just anticipated it to take a little longer
Owning conservative autocrats by giving them my money
This, however, requires that the server they are migrating TO can resolve the domain of the instance they are migrating FROM.
I am unaware of any "whole instance" redirecting.
A bit like registering anti-ccp with a Chinese TLD.
Shouldn't be shocked when it gets pulled.
To be clear, I am not trying to say that CCP is in any way similar to Taliban, because it isn’t. Was just trying to demonstrate the lack of foresight happening here using your own hypothetical scenario.
The previous government made gay sex a crime. Their seeming tolerance wasn’t because they were LGBT-friendly, it was because they were too busy fighting a losing battle against the Taliban to have time for enforcing their own anti-LGBT laws and policies. If they’d survived, they quite possibly would have made the same decision at some point
Not the same thing as being LGBTQ+ friendly. Torture and executions is pretty LGBTQ+ hostile.
But interesting how extreme homophobia and widespread homosexuality coexist.
That’s rural Afghanistan, not Kabul. “Taliban Shuffle” by Kim Barker is entertaining and relevant.