This one had everything:
- Build something you want.
- Build something other people would want.
- Turn your passion into a business.
- If you need it, build it. (Love the S-hook idea!)
- Offer street level appeal.
- Tiered pricing. (Love the fun pass!)
- Instant rewards. (Tickets through slot.)
- Organic growth: more games.
- Secure technology (calculators).
- Turn customers into raving evangelists.
- Leverage others' technology (Facebook, Reddit).
- Company t-shirt.
- Bootstrapped with friends & family.
- Have a customer write a song about you!
He had no control over that of course and only by pure chance did a filmmaker walk in and make all of this happen.
This further proves why it is so important to be in the right place (physical location critical especially for any retail business).
For an internet business, a startup, located in one of the hubs where others congregate. Not in the middle of nowhere. (Not saying it isn't possible or can't be done but location matters.)