In my experience, while never using them in the past, deciding to use a recruiter to find a new job was incredibly helpful.
- Lots of interviews, quickly.
- Great network of high quality companies. No need to network for yourself.
- Negotiates one offer vs. another one for you, often increasing the initial offer by like 10k. No need to get out of your comfort zone and do this yourself.
- Asked me to be exclusive. If I had branched out and used 3 at once, it would have probably gotten out, and don't know if I would have been dropped.
- Takes a percentage of your salary. Which for me isn't bad, because in my mind I wouldn't have gotten the negotiated salary bump, or even the opportunity in the first place, if it wasn't for her.
I just wanted to learn other peoples experience.
Fwiw I'm in Chicago now, where I used the recruiter for finance type jobs. Before, I was in SF and just relied on my own network.