If it were me, I'd pull the fuse or if necessary cut the wires to the transmitter.
Yup, the sparks when you short circuit can be spectacular (the car battery can provide quite a current), but the voltage can't kill you. It would suck if it could - high voltage cables all around you would make accidents very dangerous. The worst that could happen to you is burns from the wires getting hot.
I've been in a passenger in a car that had a short in the facia while driving - the car immediately filled with dense choking smoke and we nearly crashed. Scary stuff. This wasn't recently though - I hope the standards for in-car wiring have improved a lot over the years!
Sad that those are the only two things that will get this addressed, but it seems born-into corporate existence to poke and prod at the rules until someone slaps its hand.