- The "Y" button for hiding/showing the list is maybe a bit too subtle. I only found it by randomly mashing everything on the screen on the theory that surely the functionality had to be somewhere. I think the problem is that it doesn't look at all like an active UI element.
- Going directly to comments doesn't seem to be possible. I guess you can just tap the list item and then show comments really quickly, but I would have expected tapping the comment count to do that.
- Would be nice to see which stories / comment pages I've already viewed.
- Would be even more awesome to see in the main list how many new comments were added since I last viewed the comment page of a story.
- Is it really not possible to view more than the top 50 items?
- My thinking was that since in portait, clicking on any post will hide the list and make it pretty obvious how to get it back, I didn't need to add a button for it. But I think you're probably right.
- Yep, thats on my list.
- Also on my list.
- Good suggestion. I'll look into adding this.
The iHN API has been very unstable for me lately, but all other HN readers for Android seem to use it (or their UI is just so bad it borders on unusable).
Do you think the CPU cost of parsing the HN soup yourself is significant compared to pre-chewed JSON from an API (say, iHackerNews)?
I don't really have a good feel for the CPU load of the parsing (I was mostly concerned with how much time it would take). In my testing it seemed fine. Probably more concerning is the memory usage, as I see the GC kick in whenever I refresh the feed.
Edit: I found this which looks similar http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hackernews-for-ipad/id3648999... but the reviews are horrible, unfortunately.