It might be worth adding a toggle to the marketing website alongside dark mode to switch the handwriting font to something more readable though
There are at least 2 huge issues.
1. The biggest issue, it does not propagate selections so the interviewee selects something to highlight what they are talking about but doesn't realize that the indication the object is selected does not appear on the interviewer's version of the document. It makes talking about your diagram nearly impossible.
Google Slides doesn't have this problem
2. Excalidraw has this horrible design where placing a shape actually places 2 objects, a shape object and a text object. You type some text and then try to move the "labeled object" and only one of them moves. This is different than every drawing program in existence for the last ~35 years and is a bad UX
I'd even argue the whole concept is bad. You ask some dev to interview and expect them to use unfamiliar illustration software where while they're interviewing they get to struggle with learning new quirky software.
There's a docker image also: https://hub.docker.com/r/excalidraw/excalidraw
It's hard to tell exactly, but it sounds like the "plus" version would just have more collaboration functionality.
> tool was subpar
What were there actual issues that you faced?
Kind of rude to put it down with vague comments and recommend something else.
1. Excalidraw doesn't allow you to quickly connect components.
2. It doesn't _always_ allow you to double-click on a component and add a title to it, so you end up using a Text component, which is obviously not what you want because two of the components are not linked.
3. You can't title links/arrows between components.
4. It's cool that they have a components library, but it's barely useful (right now), so I would either make it really good or drop entirely.
My biggest pain is that we need to manage and share the drawings ourselves. I normally share a screenshot and I have a collection of .excalidraw files saved locally
Granted, I don't think it does collaboration so that may be a dealbreaker for you
But yes, this sounds like what the paid feature will try and solve.
One unexpected thing. If I select the pointer icon, and double click on a shape, it lets me add a text label. But the label isn't grouped with the shape by default. I might expect that had I started with the "A" text tool, but I started with the arrow pointer. In that case, I'd expect the label to be automatically grouped with the shape.
Hope it doesn't lose it's spirit now money is involved.
Honestly, excalidraw's advantages is it's simplicity with export and working locally, which makes me think a lot of the enterprisy stuff could be built with external tools or something like that. say an integration with Google Drive/Dropbox.
I’m not sad it’s being monetized, I’m delighted the creators have a revenue stream to keep them working on it.
I have seen that many times already :-/
It let's you jump into diagramming within any block within Roam.
Jokes aside, congratulations to the team - it’s one of the best tools for “thinking in a group” ever invented. Thank you to all contributors!
They've been very good at communicating in the GitHub issues I've filed, so hopefully it works for others, but I would advise you to test with a few co-workers before facilitating anything in a group
The performance of the collaboration servers is now taking the front seat and should improve in the coming weeks.
As for the window alerts — yes, that's a pain point in both apps but we're working on it. It should be better than last time you tried it, let us know what you think.
We'd be happy if you file an issue or drop a message on our Discord channels with any other feedback you have!
I found I could try it at https://excalidraw.com/
This looks really good and I'm going to try it out at my work. I haven't found anything so far that comes close to a real whiteboard. If it works out maybe we'll get the + version.