Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login
Bitcoin Core: Bitcoin Core 0.21.1 released with Taproot activation code (bitcoincore.org)
150 points by alwillis 14 days ago | hide | past | favorite | 248 comments



They're telling you to use the unsigned executable because they screwed up renewing their signing certificate. Bad excuse. Very bad security practice for a Bitcoin wallet. They do offer SHA-256 hashes for the executables, so people can check by hand, but the download and the hashed check come from the same site. If someone can spoof the download site, they can Make Money Fast.

Somewhere, someone is probably working out a way to exploit this right now.


First, the releases are signed-- just not with the windows code signing infrastructure.

For windows the CA improperly revoked the certificate in response to a renewal request and back dated the revocation and are refusing to issue a new certificate (my understanding and that the CA now believes open source collaborations aren't eligible for code signing certs, or some such nonsense... it's being worked out)

The releases are still PGP signed by an official project key which has been in use for many years and is cross signed by many parties-- just as they have the last decade--, as well as by another 16 parties that independent reproduced the binaries through the deterministic build process: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gitian.sigs/tree/master/0.21... which has also been used for the last ten years. Anyone who already has an older faithful copy has the scripts to automatically download and verify the other signatures.

By comparison, the windows code signing provides relatively little security assurance. Not too dissimilar from the HTTPS used on the download site. It, like the https, does have the advantage that it is widely checked while many users don't bother checking the actual release signatures. It's useful to have for sure, but it's not the only protection and, unfortunately, it exist only at the whim of a third party that isn't accountable to the users of Bitcoin. But if someone can spoof the download site the executable signing won't do much to stop them from causing problems.


I think the problem here is that it's training end-users to step outside of the normal security practices and normalizing that behavior. In the same way that most reputable companies would tell you "We'll never ask you for your password" and over time that has been well relegated to scammer-only territory. What if one day a company said "Hey, we're just gonna ask for your password this one time, but it's okay" - it mostly defeats the entire purpose of the protection scheme if users can easily be duped into not following it.

Right, but what is the solution if this "normal security practice" relies on having a 3rd party sign your stuff but they refuse to do so, for non-security reasons?

Once again, it's demonstrated for us, trusted third parties are security holes.

That's my point. This is just a slow migration to a new version, not something urgent. There's no reason to bypass normal procedures.

The old releases on the site are broken even worse, because they're signed with a revoked certificate. Getting something unsigned up was a strict improvement, particularly because there is no ETA for getting this fixed.

The SHA-256 hashes are gpg signed with the key at https://bitcoin.org/laanwj-releases.asc

Nobody actually checks the executable signatures, they're buried in the file properties.


Everyone on macOS and Windows checks the executable signatures automatically on first run.

Can't an attacker modify the executable to not do that?

No, because the check isn't part of the executable, it's part of the operating system. An attacker would have to modify the executable to have a valid certificate, which would take several months and a few hundred dollars, which usually makes it not worth it.

The alternative is signing it with another certificate which is about $100

From who? It can't be a non-EV cert, since those are trusted less and present the same dialog. A 1-year from Verisign is $500. Comodo is $229. Setigo is $329. All of them require verification that you own a business, which is another $50 to set up an LLC, and the issuance lead time for both of these providers are a few months.

If you have a quick, trusted way of getting an EV code-signing cert trusted by SmartScreen, please, let me know.


They do present a dialog but not the same one you get with no or an invalid signature.

Signing the hashes instead of the executable leaves you open to collision attacks.

Are you aware of any practical SHA-256 collision attacks?

What do you expect the results would be, if within the next few days it were discovered that there were two different files, with the same SHA-256, each claiming to be the Bitcoin-0.21.1 release?


If you know a sha256 collision the bitcoin network will currently pay you about 0.476 BTC (~about $26k USD right now) to publish it.

https://blockstream.info/address/35Snmmy3uhaer2gTboc81ayCip4...

https://blockstream.info/address/39VXyuoc6SXYKp9TcAhoiN1mb4n...

https://blockstream.info/address/3DUQQvz4t57Jy7jxE86kyFcNpKt...


In practice, if you try to claim those coins by broadcasting a transaction with the collision the most likely outcome is someone will snatch the coins by changing the output address with his own address (since the scripts contains no signature checking). You would have to give your tx straight to a miner (and hope for the best)

But also, in practice, the fame of announcing such a discovery (with or without an explanation of the method for creating it) could be worth more than $26k.

And if you wanted to profit from it, via submitting the transaction or not, you could likely make far more by speculating on the effects of that announced collision on the Bitcoin price – likely sharply negative.


There's no such thing as "signing the executable". It's always signing a hash.

Certain signing algorithms such as ed25519 do not depend on the collision resistance of the hash function when signing the message. They do however when signing the hash.

"It's always signing a hash.", sure, but S(m) and S(h(m)) is a different operation with very different properties.


You realize that if SHA-256 collision where something even remotely practical, then the entire bitcoin protocol is instantly dead?

No, I do not realize that. Is the security of the bitcoin protocol based on the collision resistance of SHA-256? If so they should try to find a solution around it.

Blocks are identified by their hash, so if you can create a collision between two blocks, there's no way for anyone to know which one is the legit one.

Also, inside a block itself, transactions are part of a Merkle Tree[1], so if you can find a SHA-256 collision, you can also create confusion on what transaction where actually included in a given block.

You cannot really “find a solution around it” for two reasons:

1- the bitcoin blockchain is immutable, so the old blocks can't really be rewritten to work with another hashing mechanism. What you could do is reboot the bitcoin blockchain with another hash algorithm, with a Genesis block summarizing the last know state of the bitcoin blockchain. But that would need consensus among the entire bitcoin community, which will never happen because of reason #2

2- Bitcoin miners own millions of dollars of custom hardware designed for SHA-256 generation (mining), there's no way they'll just be like “OK, let's change hash function, I'll throw this useless stuff away and buy new ones”.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle_tree


The signature algorithm uses the same hash, so there isn't any meaningful opening there. :)

There is a reason ed25519 is used instead of ed25519ph :)

PureEdDSA does not break when a hash function without collision resistance is used.


Doesn't apply to PGP. :)

And the kind of theoretical attack that non-prehashing protects you from requires that you sign an attacker chosen message -- relevant in some applications but kind of contrived.


> They do offer SHA-256 hashes for the executables, so people can check by hand

I never understood how this is useful... If someone would replace the executables, wouldn't they also replace the SHA-256 hashes that you are getting from the same source?


The practice of checkums/hashes with files really stems back to FTP and even less reliable transfer mechanisms would randomly corrupt your data. They also let you use a less trustworthy source, while you get just the hashes from a slow but more trustworthy source.

In Bitcoin's case what is actually provided is a PGP signature. The relevant key isn't provided along with the download files for the reason you mention. Though there are instructions on obtaining and validating the key on the download site. ... and if you're depending on reading those instructions' they're vulnerable to substitution.


For checking data corruption it makes more sense but most archive formats have this built-in, don't they? I.E.: You won't be able to extract it if it got corrupted.

Tar doesn't, nor does the classic unix 'compress' (the thing we all used before gzip). :)

if you are using tar by itself, you are asking for trouble

Downloading over HTTPS also protects against data corruption in transit.

Downloading over HTTP also protects against data corruption in transit, because HTTP uses TCP and TCP uses CRC32 checksums.

Though those checksums are not extremely reliable and have tiny chance of being corrupted.


> TCP uses CRC32 checksums.

It uses a 16-bit ones complement addition. At the packet sizes used on the internet it's extremely weak, much more so than you'd expect just from it being 16-bits, especially on data that isn't a uniform binary.


It would indeed offer no security if the hashes weren't signed (which they are).

The question is rather why distribute a separate file with hashes and their signatures, rather than just the signatures themselves, seeing how all useful cryptographic signatures contains the hash anyway?

I suspect the answer is that it is somehow more convenient for the build and release process to distribute one file with all hashes, rather than lots of individual signatures for each artifact. The release process is quite elaborate with several parties independently reproducing that exact build. But someone would have to correct me on that.

That's probably also why they don't consider the broken Windows certificate important enough to stall the release. Relying on a single CA does not provide them with the type of security they are looking for.


> The question is rather why distribute a separate file with hashes and their signatures, rather than just the signatures themselves, seeing how all useful cryptographic signatures contains the hash anyway?

that is what needs to be fixed, and ideally would become part of the archive format so that it can be automatically checked (but also should have the option to disable it).


Mirrors. Remember when you were asked to pick a mirror? And they'd invariably use plain http. And CDNs are still common, whereas the hash sum comes from the https main site.

At least that was the original point. These days you usually just host stuff yourself (on your domain or someone you pay, like a paid CDN) rather than having people mirror stuff independently. And it's all https, so it's mostly moot like you say, but old habits seem to die hard though it's already far less common than in the past.

Whenever you still see one, look at where the download really comes from. Often it's third party whereas the hash is first party. If not, then it's probably just a page with old habits.


> Mirrors. Remember when you were asked to pick a mirror? And they'd invariably use plain http.

With http, you can man-in-the-middle the file and the hash.


You don't download the hash from the mirror, you use a signed hash from the distributor, allowing you to test that the untrusted mirror is serving you the correct file.

"they" refers to the mirror, not the place where you get the hash from.

The CircleCI hack was (eventually) caught because the hash of the downloaded file no longer matched.

If the checksum is hosted in a different place than the file, it requires an attacker to compromise two separate systems.

In the typical system, though, the hash sitting next to the file isn't particularly useful.


> but the download and the hashed check come from the same site. If someone can spoof the download site

Someone should tell the nixos devs that. Not being able to verify the authenticity of something as important as your OS does not seem very safe.


If nixos is doing that they're not alone. Fedora is in essentially the same camp unless it changed in the latest release: It's pgp signed but with a totally new key with every release and that pgp key isn't signed by anything else, and the only way to verify it is ... to download it from the same place you got your iso from.

A number of years back openssl changed their pgp key and for a month didn't publish it anywhere. AFAICT I was the first person to complain about it-- which also suggests that all the distros that had already shipped the update hadn't checked it.


https://taproot.watch already shows Taproot activations by blocks and miners.


Am I misreading this or does it say that Taproot will not be activated? It needed 90% of the blocks and already 11% have not signaled.

This cycle. This was just released, so it’ll take a while to get deliberate/representative numbers.

Not within this activation window.

But maybe the next one.


For those who don’t know what Taproot is: https://river.com/learn/what-is-taproot/

I guess the information was there somewhere but I still don’t understand what it is. This is not clear enough.

Taproot, aside from the upgrade itself, is very interesting because it will be a test of Bitcoin's upgrade-ability.

Last effort to improve Bitcoin (Segwit) was basically a giant shitshow.

Let's hope the ecosystem has matured and this one will be a little more orderly.


Yep, even though pretty much everyone agrees taproot is a positive change, the most controversial part so far was on agreeing how to activate it, this activation process is actually pretty conservative and gives enough time/participation. Hopefully, it lands nicely and future improvements will be more smooth as well.


Taproot is far less controversial.


What was controversial about segwit outside of a large commercial interest (Bitmain) losing the ability to leverage a patented algorithm that effectively increased their ASIC productivity? I always thought that was what drove most of the drama and Bitcoin Cash, a place where they could continue to arbitrage that mining boost, to come about.

Well a lot of people were bamboozled by manufactured misinformation there. There has been a lot less of it here-- presumably because there is a lot less incentive to create and propagate it-- and fewer people have been falling for what misinformation exists.

Back then it was so clearly orchestrated propaganda, but it took a lot of newcomers. I'm not looking forward to this cycle's "blocksize" debate. It seems that rolling new coins is the better vector overall for such schemes, for better or worse.

Thank you for continuing the discourse all these years and keeping people informed.


Wasn't my opinion on it, just a casual observation on the difference between the two BIPs.

The monetary incentive for Bitmain was without dispute last time. Such a thing doesn't exist this time.

Taproot will pass without any drama.


I don't think there were people who thought segwit was bad. There were simply people who thought that more was needed to allow more TXses in a block. They were generally in favor of allowing much larger blocks.

The reason segwit got involved was mostly that it was framed as "either we do segwit, or we do bigger blocks"


> I don't think there were people who thought segwit was bad.

Well there were people saying it, how much anyone feel for their false claims is unambiguous.

Rick Falkvinge, for example, put out a series of articles and videos falsely claiming that segwit was patented.

People falsely claimed that segwit removes signatures from the blockchain.

People falsely claimed that segwit would make it impossible to prove ownership of coins.

People falsely claimed that segwit would make bitcoin less secure and that users funds would be stolen.

People falsely claimed that segwit would reduce scalability by using 4MB of data for 2MB of transactions. (other people claimed that they were 10% larger, which is also untrue).

People falsely claimed that segwit would not fix the malleability attacks.

People falsely claimed that segwit would require everyone to upgrade, and that it required "all bitcoin software to be partially rewritten".

People falsely claimed that coins using segwit would be less valuable.

People falsely claimed that segwit didn't solve the quadratic computational cost of signature hashing.

People falsely claimed that segwit was not a softfork.

People claimed segwit was activated in spite of majority opposition (in fact when segwit activated >90% of nodes were running the software and 95% of hashpower).

People claimed that segwit was a "poison pill that would result in a network suicide".

People falsely claimed that segwit was a plot by Bilderberg to give some shadow "jew" coalition control over Bitcoin. (I really had no idea how much anti-semitism was still a thing online until I was getting a bunch of fucked up shit sent to me ... and I'm not even a jew, but the facts didn't stop the people hating on segwit).

I'm actually copying these brain damaged arguments out of published articles, I just don't want to give that retardation traffic. This doesn't even include the more hyperbolic nonsense that got taken offline as it was embarrassingly disproved.

:)

By the time segwit activated bcash already existed-- so the bigger block people had thing and were basically in full on sabotage-bitcoin mode.


Most of those arguments were made by people who don't understand what they are talking about, but that doesn't mean fuckery wasn't afoot. Segwit was falsely positioned as an alternative to increasing the block size, and after it went into effect, the pro-segwit people refused to raise the block size like the promised to, claiming some technicality. The result was that fees went astronomical, Steam stop accepting Bitcoin along with many other merchants and bitcoin went from being useful as a currency (a threat to fiat) to being a pure ponzi scheme like wall street had always smeared it as. And who was paying the anti-big block, pro-segwit devs? Oh that's right, private equity backed startups like blockstream.

>the bigger block people had thing and were basically in full on sabotage-bitcoin mode.

Failing to raise the block size and the resulting loss of real economic activity on the chain were what sabotaged BTC, exactly as the "bitcoin should be like gold" people wanted. Twisting that around and blaming the bigger block people for "sabotaging bitcoin" by warning that this would happen is beyond insane.

Segwit was a good change. But it was used by wall street to kill bitcoin and it worked.


I guess some of those arguments could have actually convinced some people, but I believe most of those arguments were made in bad faith. Certainly, I was not aware of any technical downside to implementing segwit. Except maybe the very weak "if avoidable, its better not to do soft-forks"

Let's not kid ourselves. The segwit/2MB nonsense basically drove all developers away that aren't blockstream. There's no one left in bitcoin core that cares enough to go against blockstream unless it affects their bottom-line i.e. miners.

This upgrade will boil down to "will mining pools bother to upgrade their nodes"?


That is simply untrue. I think there is only one regular contributor to Bitcoin that is affiliated with blockstream, and meanwhile you can't name one contributor who left.

[Perhaps you think you'd name Gavin Andresen? but he had stopped contributing years before blockstream even existed. ... and left the space entirely after an infamous incident where he vocally endorsed a pretty obvious scammer.]


Gavin Andresen and Mike Hearn are the big ones yeah. Sure they left before the 2018 drama but they did leave due to block size disagreements. But that's not here nor there.

The developers that left bitcoin aren't the developers putting commits on the protocol implementation. It's the developers that made tools on top of bitcoin itself. From not so legitimate sites like betting sites to sites and apps like openbazaar, retailers/payments processors, etc. After the 2018 debacle and the ever growing mempool/fee market most developers put bitcoin in legacy mode and started adopting other more frictionless coins like ethereum, bcash, litecoin, etc.

I have a multireddit setup that has the big crypto subreddits inside (r/btc, r/bitcoin, r/bitcoincash, r/ethereum, r/monero), I check it once or twice a week when I'm bored, and I barely hear anything new coming from the bitcoin camp, no development discussion, no cool new service, no adoption talk. It's all HODL memes, value talk and the occasional lightning network update. I don't see development talk among the bitcoin community anymore.

I'll repeat what I said, the developers that cared about bitcoin have left, the only people left that have a saying are people building layer 2 solutions (blockstream mostly) and miners. This upgrade doesn't affect miners, so I doubt they will contest.


> due to block size disagreements

There were no block size disagreements going on when gavin wound down his involvement-- but now you've moved from "blockstream" to block size disagreements.

Regardless of the history, -- bullet dodged there considering what eventually happened.

> Mike Hearn are the big ones yeah

The sum total of hearn's contributions to Bitcoin core were a dozen commits which were mostly one line string changes. To have left he would have had to have started rather than a couple drive-by tweaks.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170809023814if_/http://s12.pos...

> the developers that cared about bitcoin have left

Just repeating it doesn't make it true. Pretty ironic to say you rarely "hear anything new coming from the bitcoin camp, no development discussion" on a thread exactly about such a thing.

I dunno what if it's you or I that inhabit a weird alternative reality, but one of us does because there is constant exciting Bitcoin news... and sure, a lot of memes too, they're often pretty funny even if a bit much. But over time the character of the news will become different as Bitcoin becomes more ubiquitous.


> exciting Bitcoin news

I think you're being disingenuous.

We're talking about the speed and volume of new tech being added to the Bitcoin ecosystem, not just about the fact that one such feature is (trying) to be added.

The reality is: if you compare the speed at which and the amount of new stuff being built in and atop the ethereum ecosystem to the innovation in the Bitcoin ecosystem, the difference is absolutely striking.

And BTW, IIRC, Vitalik walked away from Bitcoin and went on to create ETH for exactly the reasons outlined by the GP: a power grab by a small clique of fanatics that led to stagnation.


> And BTW, IIRC, Vitalik walked away from Bitcoin and went on to create ETH for exactly the reasons outlined by the GP:

You've been fed a marketing pitch that doesn't have a lot to do with reality. The only 'bitcoin development' Vitalik did before creating eth was running an investment scam for developing "quantum miners" -- no joke.

What you were led to believe here is simply false, a convenient excuse for an embarrassingly massive premine.


> The reality is: if you compare the speed at which and the amount of new stuff being built in and atop the ethereum ecosystem to the innovation in the Bitcoin ecosystem, the difference is absolutely striking.

Here's a list of technical developments related to Bitcoin (including LN) grouped by month and topic as covered by a single publication over the past three years: https://bitcoinops.org/en/topic-dates/

I'd be interested in seeing a similar such list for Ethereum or any other cryptocurrency that shows a similar pace of development.

Edit: removed paragraph based on accidental misattribution.


> I'd be interested in seeing a similar such list for Ethereum or any other cryptocurrency that shows a similar pace of development.

I can't seem to find one for ethereum, the closest probably would be going through their blog entries and filtering by "research and development". https://blog.ethereum.org/category/research-and-development/

I did find a similar list for bitcoin cash: https://cash.coin.dance/development

Note that both lists are a bit deceitful because they include proposals not yet included/implemented. The bitcoinops list also seems to double entries if you don't sort them alphabetical, so take that into consideration if just comparing pure amount of features.

Also the coin.dance list does not list layer2/sidechain implementations. Stuff like SmartBCH would probably over inflate such a list, it would also be unfair because SmartBCH is based on work the ethereum devs did (EVM/web3).

Both lists seem to start around the same date so I'd say they're comparable.



> Your earlier post seemed to indicate that you only scan "the big crypto subreddits"

Nice and well-formed ad hominem, but before proceeding, I'd suggest re-reading the name of the user that made the claim about crypto sub-reddits.


Okay, so he's mistaken about the author of the comment but how is

> Your earlier post seemed to indicate that you only scan "the big crypto subreddits" for news; may I suggest that maybe popular subreddits aren't the best place for news about research and development.

In any way an ad hominem? Check out his link, it stands on its own.

If you're surprised about that level of activity it might just be that you're not reading the places where that sort of thing is discussed. But there is nothing bad or insulting about that suggestion.


Neither he or you have any idea where I gather information on cryptos.

You are both essentially speculating and accusing me of being ill-informed without providing a shred of evidence.

[EDIT]: And even if you were correct, you're both attacking the messenger and not the message. That pretty much fits my definition of an ad-hominem.

I claim (I might be wrong, please provide counter-evidence) that there is more innovation in the Ethereum ecosystem than in the Bitcoin ecosystem.

As proof, I offer, however misguided these efforts might be (you can't innovate if you don't try "silly" things), sorted by more to less silly:

    - cryptokitties

    - NFTs

    - DeFi

    - scalability via layer 2 solutions

    - scalability via sharding

    - actually working smart contracts instead of a vague promise of their eventual feasibility based on a yet-to-be-deployed piece of infrastructure

    - a concerted effort to move to PoS

    - ongoing work on integrating ZK (zcash, beam, grin, monero)-type transactions.
Many of these things don't seem to have an equivalent in the Bitcoin space (except L2 scaling).

The list provided by the GP (https://bitcoinops.org/en/topic-dates/) IMO very much falls in the "polishing the turd" category: many tiny improvements that very few people care about and show the disconnect between Bitcoin development and what the market wants.

The fact is : ethereum is here, it has real smart contract, it is well on its way to have PoS, and it's slowly gaining market shares over Bitcoin because they move faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Bitcoin and its ecosystem, but the pace at which innovation occurs in there is probably my number one peeve about it: if Bitcoin doesn't get its act together it will get the rug pulled from under it by Ethereum.


> - cryptokitties

colored coins existed on bitcoin before ethereum was a thing

> NFTs

colored coins existed on bitcoin before ethereum was a thing

> DeFi

meaningless buzzword that vaguely gestures at scripting possibilities, which again, were in bitcoin before ethereum was a thing

> scalability via layer 2 solutions

was on bitcoin before ethereum was a thing

> scalability via sharding

not a thing for at least few years and will be either a spectacular failure or multiple separate chains with atomic swaps between them

> actually working smart contracts instead of a vague promise of their eventual feasibility based on a yet-to-be-deployed piece of infrastructure

smart contracts were a thing on bitcoin before ethereum existed

> a concerted effort to move to PoS

a gigantic failure that undermines security of ethereum and market will not be merciful

> ongoing work on integrating ZK (zcash, beam, grin, monero)-type transactions.

happened on non-ethereum ecosystem

there's really not a lot to be excited about ethereum these days. years and years of promises of global scalable computer, finally an admission that it was all a giant lie and now again years and years of promises of ethereum 2.0 that will not actually for real be global scalable computer, except there's no proposed solutions for any problems because it's easier to part fools from their money with empty promises than with serious discussion about tradeoffs.


Taproot is essential as it will enable “scriptless scripts” which means transactions can accomplish complex code without appearing any different from normal transactions. Use cases include better mixers, cross-chain atomic swaps, and more efficient transactions.


>transactions can accomplish complex code without appearing any different from normal transactions

What could go wrong I guess. Are there distinct advantages to this?


Yes, it helps on chain privacy. It’s currently really easy to spot a lightning network channel funding transaction. In the future these will all look like normal transactions.

This softfork also provides the necessary tools to make pay-join economically advantageous.


> Are there distinct advantages to this?

It improves fungibility (if that's even a word).


Note that, once the transaction is spent, it will be clear that it was a script spend, and some of the script will also be revealed.

> […] some of the script will also be revealed.

nullc seems to be saying that revealing (part of) the script isn’t necessary in case of cooperation: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27023391

Am I misunderstanding you or nullc?


If the root public key is used nothing is revealed.

The root pubkey could be an N of N of parties to the transaction (e.g. everyone cooperates), or any other condition you can express with pubkeys alone.

So say that you have a coin that can be spent by 2 of 3 Alice, Bob, Charlie or it can be spent by Alice alone after one year has passed. The A/B/C 2of3 could be made the root, it would look like a single pubkey, and be indistinguishable from a ordinary single key wallet.

The timeout+alice condition would only get revealed in the even that Bob or Charlie will cooperate and the timeout gets used.


It will become possible to create N of N multisig transactions that do not require scripting. Such spends will be fully indistinguishable from normal spends. Any spends that actually use scripting will reveal (sort of) the script elements that this spend had to use. Other parts of the script will remain secret.

What is this Taproot about?


https://medium.com/interdax/what-is-taproot-and-how-will-it-...

One of the big improvements is that multi-signature transactions, where both Alice and Bob have to sign to spend some money, used to require adding N signatures (number of signers) to the block chain to have a valid transaction. So it improves efficiency and should allow squeezing more transactions, but it also improves privacy, because there's no way to tell if how many parties are involved in the transaction.

Merkelised Abstract Syntax Tree (MAST) are the other big feature that allows for more complex scripting to also be represented in a compressed and obfuscated way (example in the link).


Taproot with MAST enables a DAO on Bitcoin.

See the full implementation here by Delft University of Technology scientists and students. [1] Security needs work, functionality works. (disclaimer, I'm the responsibile professor)

[1] https://github.com/Tribler/trustchain-superapp#luxury-commun...


> What is this Taproot about?

If accepted by the miners, Bitcoin will a bunch of low-level upgrades:

    - more compact signatures (decrease blockchain size)

    - paves the way to smart contract

    - improve transaction privacy
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/technical/taproot-coming-what-it...


In Bitcoin every coin has a list of programmatic conditions attached to it that set the rules for spending the code.

Usually the rule is just "provide a digital signature with key X", or some threshold of keys. Though they can be more much complicated, and even simple scripts can have powerful applications (e.g. https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/02/26/zero-knowledge-conting... )

The flexibility is nice but there are some gotchas-- Your rules are included in the transaction, storing and transmitting expends system resources, costs you fees, distinguishes your transactions from other users, and in doing so discloses information about your business practices.

Taproot addresses this by doing some relatively simple elliptic curve crypto magic to effectively hide the conditions inside a public key without impairing it or making it larger. Then, if the parties transacting cooperate they can keep their fancy conditions private and just sign using a single jointly controlled key. If the parties don't cooperate some of the conditions may need to be exposed, but only the absolute minimum to show the transaction is allowable. Cooperation is likely however, because non-cooperating won't create a benefit.

The effect is that instead of being limited to a few thousand bytes of operations for the rules governing your coin, you could have gigabytes of rules, and yet never expose them (and burn network resources and your privacy) -- or if you do need to to expose some of them, you only need to show a small amount. ... and as a bonus have your transactions look just like a really boring maximally simple wallet's transactions.

There are also some small efficiency gains: somewhat smaller signatures and making batch signature validation possible.

It's a little difficult to estimate the impact this improvement will have: Most users only use relatively simple rules, and as a result they will just become a little more private and a little more efficient. But if taproot was marketed like most altcoins are the headline would be "Taproot increases script expressiveness FORTY ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE while reducing resource usage!", because-- indeed-- you could make a script that was 1.3e41 times larger than the current rules allow if only you had a computer powerful enough to handle such data locally. :P So for common uses it's a small to moderate efficiency and privacy improvement, but it could enable some new and interesting applications.

... and you might not ever know about some application that benefited from it, because unless you're a party to its transactions there may be nothing identifying published about them. :) Not the best for marketing, but better for human rights.


> The effect is that instead of being limited to a few thousand bytes of operations for the rules governing your coin, you could have gigabytes of rules, and yet never expose them (and burn network resources and your privacy) -- or if you do need to to expose some of them, you only need to show a small amount. ... and as a bonus have your transactions look just like a really boring maximally simple wallet's transactions.

If I have e.g. a 1GB script, how much of it will I need to reveal if my counterparty doesn’t cooperate?

For example, is it realistic to have 1GB of script and only needing to reveal, say, 1KB in case the other party doesn’t cooperate?


The amount you reveal depends on the construction of the script, but it scales with the log2() of the number of leaves in the DNF representation.

So, for example, if you create a coin which could be spent by any Californian (assuming you knew a key for each), your full script would be 1.17 GB, but when someone spends the coin their signature would be 896 bytes, assuming you set it up to be equally efficient for all people. That 896 bytes plus the 32 byte public key would be all that ever hits the blockchain.

You're not constrained to assume equal-probablity however: if you have a probability model for how likely each condition is you can construct a huffman tree and the overhead for any particular condition is just the number of bits in its huffman codeword times 32 bytes. If your probabilities are accurate this will minimize the average size.

So for example, say your directory had a list of 100 known bitcoiners that were overwhelmingly likely to spend the coin their signature could be 288 bytes, while being just a bit larger for the other residents. If you, correctly, assumed that I would be the most likely to spend the coin you could stick my key at the root and I could spend it with just 64 bytes -- the same as an ordinary wallet controlled by one person rather than controlled by 40 million people.

For some usages there is a key creation vs spending size tradeoff-- e.g. you can expand the tree further to make the revealed nodes smaller, at a cost of an exponential blowup in the time it takes you to construct the script.

One thing that some protocols should be able to do (at least eventually) is set things up so that in the event of non-cooperation the additional transaction fees get mostly covered by the non-cooperating party.


Thank you for the explanation!

This sounds amazing. I’m really looking forward to seeing what can be built on top of Bitcoin if this activates.


Thanks, that was very clear.

Question though: why is it called Taproot?


It's sort of a joke that works on two levels:

One is that if you imagine the probability-of-usage weighed tree over the DNF form of your script, taproot is most efficient and private if most the probability mass is clustered along a central path-- like a botanical taproot-- particularly the "all participants agree" case that almost always exists.

The other when you spend using one of the hidden scripts, you tap into the public key to expose a hash tree root hash.

But really, the name exists because easier to talk about stuff when you have a name for it, the idea long predates having a formal spec for the construction, and taproot was the name I picked. Today we could also call it BIP341.


I think because it's like an iceberg analogy where you see only the small surface area, but underneath there is a complex web of conditions (roots)

Wow - this feels very anti-ETH contract. I've seen so many copypasta-coins that I don't think would exist in this release.

Semi-off topic: In another comment you said you're no longer developing BTC, what on earth could be more appealing right now?


I follow bitcoin and have read plenty of descriptions of taproot, but this was the best one so far.

A Bitcoin full node only takes 5GB of disk space to run, and 256MB of memory.

[0]: https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/Bitcoin.org/pull/3624/fil...

[1]: https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node


In hindsight, I think most would agree it was a good idea to force the smarter scaling solutions rather than brute-force blocksize scaling (which sooner or later would have hit a ceiling anyways).


The "smarter" scaling solutions still aren't here after years of waiting, fees are hitting all-time highs, and other chains can do >4,000 TPS on layer 1. So no, small blocks weren't and aren't a good idea.

> other chains can do >4,000 TPS on layer 1

read: other chains are centralized databases that have no business being blockchains in the first place and can be replaced by single mysql instance.

the trick is not to have high TPS, bitcoin could have unlimited TPS too, it's just a single line of code change. the trick is to have a decentralized system that functions at saturation on commodity hardware.

the conservative minds prevailed during scaling debate in 2015-2017, creating selection pressure for scaling solutions that optimize limited resource - chain space, rather than populist simplistic "solutions" pushed by cheap propaganda slogans like "we can do this much TPS!".


> read: other chains are centralized databases that have no business being blockchains in the first place and can be replaced by single mysql instance.

This, too, has been a thought of mine, but I'm not exactly sure how I would block diagram the 'locking' mechanism for the MySQL instance.

I've come to believe the locking mechanism is the nonce produced to sufficient solution parameters that appears to use the difficulty of finding said solution as its defensibility.

So how do you get the 'strength' of the miners throwing ExaHashes at a solution with a single instance? We could easily snapshot the DB and sign them, however, the point of failure is no longer in a 50% attack, but in losing said key... which intuitively feels far less secure?

Curious to hear your thoughts


locking is needed to order transactions, mysql already has acid transactions. i use mysql metaphorically to describe a single centralized database protected by single entity that controls all the writes. we already have such payment systems: visa, mastercard, paypal, venmo, etc.

blockchain and miners only make sense if you need and actually maintain decentralization. if you don't and/or can't - miners (and validators in PoS systems) are useless overhead.


Thank you, I had never heard of ACID -- yeah, centralized vs. decentralized becomes fairly philosophical (eco vs. democratized arguments, etc).

To build on the discussion, I'm more amazed at blockchain's capabilities as a cooperation engine outside of the normal channels. To that end, I'm really surprised we haven't seen significant attrition in the current legal system to smart contract systems. I guess the lack of adoption more highlights just how 'customized' a 'standard' contract or dispute is in the real world.


blockchains are great in environments where parties can't audit and trust each other but need write access to the same database. so far it remains an open question whether blockchains will ever be useful for anything other than settlement ledger (and things you can build on top of that).

i don't believe the hype of using blockchains to track some logistical or supply chain data will prove useful simply because all these international corporations already have a system to resolve conflicts and enforce contracts - law.


Right -- many friends are lawyers and they basically say law is a slow grinding gear. So, my naive thought is that any improvement in speed should be a deterrent for the mischievous.

And thinking out loud, it sounds like if blockchain were used to run financial operations for a company, we could make the infamous audits for Luckin Coffee's and GSX's a thing of the past. Or at least after one mistake (the LC coupon issue was an interesting hack to avoid detection), update the contract, then all future instances are robust to the same issues.

GAAP Rules and Arm's Length Transactions could be factually monitored too... interesting


i'm not saying there will never be a valid use case for blockchain beyond bitcoin, i'm just skeptical about the hype of recent years where it's applied left and right to everything. so far all the use cases i've heard of could be replaced with a centralized database maintained by a consortium of interested parties.

so does taproot pave a way that doesn't need lightning?

Lightning isn’t going anywhere, or at least payment channels don’t. Taproot, aggregation and adaptors will make all sorts of scripts more efficient.

They are here, the publicly known nodes alone on lightning have 1.2+k BTC locked in [1], that's ignoring all the private channels which form the majority of the channels (private channels are the end-user channels which don't route transactions themselves and are not broadcast publicly).

We have easy to use wallets [2], easy ways to run lightning nodes [3].

And if you look at the average transaction value, you can see that the blockchain itself is acting more of a settlement layer rather than "coffee transactions" as it should [4].

1: https://1ml.com/

2: https://phoenix.acinq.co/

3: https://getumbrel.com/

4: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionvalue-btc-xr...


the blockchain itself is acting more of a settlement layer

That is a sign of failure.


Becoming the most trusted decentralized worldwide settlement layer is considered a failure now?

Many of the cryptos that claim to scale to thousands of tps on layer 1 are all sacrificing decentralization to achieve it, at which point, I might as well use Paypal/Visa. There's no point in being able to scale to those levels in theory if in practice no one uses them.


> Becoming the most trusted decentralized worldwide settlement layer is considered a failure now?

it is, if the original goal was to be something else.

If you start a marathon and stop to eat the greatest hot dog ever made, it wouldn't be considered a successful run, although you can say "but it was the best!" and be happy about it.


Huh, so every startup thats ever pivoted -- including for example Instagram, AirBnB, and Twitter -- are failures huh? Interesting.

Not sure if it can be called a pivot when it was in the original release of the software.

Payment channels aren't in the white paper but they were in the first public release and had dedicated opcodes. That first implementation wasn't very practical nor was it secure.

The fact that modern payment channels are implemented with other opcodes may be a pivot in implementation but not in concept.


the company is successful, the original project is failed. Twitter is a successful company, but Odeo was a failed product.

Bitcoin was supposed to be much more than it currently is, and the "success" of it is a product of continuous goalpost shifting.


Startups have a duty to their shareholders to make money, whereas Bitcoin has at least a nominal duty to its inventor[0] and its whitepaper.

There's nothing wrong, though, with someone taking the open source code and creating LightningCoin from it, though. That would be the equivalent of a pivot.

[0] http://satoshinakamoto.me/2008/11/02/re-bitcoin-p2p-e-cash-p...


Payment channels were invented by Satoshi and actually baked into the transaction format from day one-- it's why transactions have locktimes and sequence numbers.

it's not a marathon, but a permanent olympics

The nice thing about using blockchain for settlement is that (using lightning) you don't actually need to wait for the settlement to clear before you are certain you own funds.

What is a sign of success, multicasting every transaction in the world and storing it on a public ledger? I don't remember that being in the white paper.

Can you elaborate on your perspective? I must admit that I don't use layer2 solutions and many people that think they are, are not (ie. users of Polygon's Proof of Stake network instead of their Plasma network), but I appreciate the progress on those layer2 solutions and actively support the bridges to them

Layer 2 is more complex (pretty much by definition) but has no countervailing benefits compared to a scalable layer 1 chain.

fees are hitting all-time highs

I just checked https://mempool.space

A low-priority transaction cost $2.36; medium is $4.39 and high is $7.48.

To put this into context: you can send $10,000 worth of BTC anywhere in the world in an hour for $2.36 right now.

A bank wire transfer for $10,000 is going to be at least $35; often it's more, depending on which country you're sending to and if you have to use an intermediate bank to get to the bank you're ultimately are attempting to reach.

Bank holidays, weekends, etc. don't apply to bitcoin.


Bitcoin fees have ranged between $0.79 and $33.00 within the past week (feerates between 10 sat/vB and 250 sat/vB) [0].

There have been periods where the prevailing feerate has remained over 150 sat/vB ($12 - $24) for 24 hours.

And unless you're already in $10K of BTC, you will lose exchange fees and are subject to the forex (equivalent) rate. Your receiver will have the same burdens.

Wire transfers/SWIFT/FedWire etc are effectively instantaneous, the fees are 100% predictable, and they are accepted everywhere worldwide for all legitimate business. As you note, they can be inconvenient or impossible on overnights, holidays, and weekends.

I'm not disagreeing with you -- just noting that the quoted Bitcoin fees at any point in time are not reliable, and that the whole process is more complicated than it might appear.

[0] (background for other readers) Bitcoin fees are a function of the transaction size in (virtual) bytes (minimally either ~140 vB or ~240 vB, depending on the type of addresses used), multiplied by the feerate in satoshis per virtual byte. Converting to USD, you have to consider the BTC-USD exchange rate which has been bouncing around $55K lately. So, e.g.:

  240 vB * 250 sat/vB == 60_000 sat
  60_000 sat == 0.0006 BTC          (100_000_000 satoshis per BTC)
  0.0006 BTC == 33.00 USD           (at $55_000 USD per BTC)

Just so we're not talking past eachother.

You cannot send $10,000 anywhere in the world via Bitcoin for $2-7, you have to first convert the $10,000 to BTC at a local exchange, wait 3 days, pay 1-2%, suffer slippage, pay $2-7, wait an hour, pay 1-2% at the remote exchange and wait for the money to deposit into a bank account. This is true because you can't spend Bitcoin for goods and services - generally speaking anyways. Bitcoin in this context is just the intermediary unit which is elided in a wire.

Re: wires, domestic US wires are offered free of charge by many institutions, and are instant during regular business hours. Obviously delays apply outside. For reference, an ACH transaction costs banks $0.002 in bulk to the depository institution. A FedWire costs $0.033 in bulk to the depository institution. [1]

Transfers outside the US cost more and take longer because of AML and KYC.

Not to mention that the move in the US from ACH to RTP makes ~free and instant domestic transfers 24/7. No blockchain needed. Because of course there isn't, the current system was based on policy not technical limitations of MySQL. [2]

[1] https://www.frbservices.org/resources/fees/wires-2021.html

[2] https://www.jpmorgan.com/solutions/treasury-payments/insight...


    >> you can send $10,000 worth of BTC anywhere in the world 

    > You cannot send $10,000 anywhere in the world via Bitcoin
You are citing currency exchange costs that would also be applicable to EUR/JPY/GBP/...

This is why the post you responded to said "worth of BTC".


Right now (9AM EST) a low priority txn costs $0.49, medium priority costs $0.57, and high priority costs $0.66.

Most payments– imagine hiring a contractor or buying a Starbucks gift card– don't need to go through instantly.


Those transaction cost estimates are extremely volatile. I recently tried to pay 50 sat/vB (~$4) for a transaction on a Monday and it didn’t clear until Saturday. Unfortunately mempool.space doesn’t seem to publish historical data, but it seems that weekends do affect Bitcoin, in that transactions are significantly cheaper.

I payed $0.5 in fees yesterday (900 satoshis) and it took a couple of hours to clear

My bank does those wires for free…

International SWIFT wires? What's your bank?

My Schwab account does international wires settled in USD or in a number of foreign currencies for free. (The official fee is $15 but it’s always been refunded for me.)

"Free". In the case of any currency conversion - you'll likely be silently stung a single digit percentage during conversion.

Check rates quoted on the final statement versus those prevailing at that time.

For a few limited cases of going USD -> USD (in foreign jurisdiction), and the USD is not converted to anything else ever, there may be a net win.

In all other cases (the majority), you, or the receiver will at some point be paying far more than the wire fee for any transfer over a grand or so.


As the other @garmaine mentions, the currency conversion is at mid-market rates, no fees. I've compared the rates to Wise and other options and it's far less cost, and certainly less cost than the median tx fee of BTC by itself, let alone slippage or fiat conversions or exchange fees. Anyone who thinks BTC has any advantage as a medium of exchange I'm convinced has never actually used it/compared it to existing options.

Schwab forex exchange really is without fees. It’s done at the current forex rate with no basis points taken. I’ve checked my transfers against the forex rate for the day.

Schwab operates these retail banking services as a loss-leader for their investment products.


Happy to be wrong on this.

I've never experienced a bank that hasn't silently gouged on forex, and this is the first I've even heard of one that didn't.

Definitely good to continue to be vigilant about such claims.

As for BTC, I wouldn't use it for anything other than a store of value - there are far better crypto options for transferring value. Some cost fractions of cent and take seconds.

Others cost single-digit dollars, but are fiat-pegged so there's no volatility risk at all.


I didn't do wires with Schwab but I'll trust it's cheaper than your average bank when it comes to conversion rates. (They do refund ATM withdrawal fees for international ATMs)

"Free" or in reality we will get our money one way or the other.

Cheap international wires are $25.

50,000 TPS for Solana

It's not black and white. Would 2MB blocks (and hence 10GB of disk space) be a worthy trade off?

The problem I see is bitcoin devs refusing to be pragmatic. Segwit is just an accounting trick.


Not sure what an accouting trick is, but it might be interesting to note that Bitcoin right now averages 1.4MB blocks.

Would 2MB be preferable? Would it be useful? Just the same magnitude of transactions that visa settles would require slightly above 500MB sized blocks, and that's without any more sophisticated transactions such as atomic swaps, which could potentially be useful.


I believe the point of segwit is more than accounting. Essentially these signatures /spend-scripts are pruneable once the blocks they are in are old enough.

After all, if a transaction had an invalid spend script, it would not have gotten 100 blocks worth of confirmations.


Bitcoin has checkpoints: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1797/what-are-ch... even for normal P2PK transactions.

Checkpoints don't do what you think they do.

They only exist today as a mechanism to prevent nodes from being flooded by low difficulty fork blocks, forking off back before height 230k, because the initial difficulty of Bitcoin (2^32 hash operations per block) is too low relative to multiple TH/s asic mining devices.


is there any ongoing work to have utxo set commitments? if not - why?

I'm not sure, I haven't been actively involved in development for a couple years.

There were a couple distinct activities. One is the rolling utxo hashes, which has no major engineering hurdles, and can allow a compromised security "bootstrap from a utxo set".

The other are schemes that allow nodes to not have the utxo set but still validate-- these have historically had unfavorable IO costs, and the bandwidth storage tradeoff hasn't seemed that appealing-- e.g. would you find reducing storage from 10 GB to 1MB but at a cost for increasing bandwidth 10x to be appealing? In some applications it would be, not others.

I believe work related to both has been ongoing, however.


> compromised security "bootstrap from a utxo set"

could you elaborate what's compromised about including a sha256 of utxo set in every block and allowing users to choose how far back they want to bootstrap from?

isn't it strictly better than current situation with assumevalid?


Depending on a utxo state in blocks is effectively the SPV security model, -- it's an utter blind trust in miners to set the value honestly. Something which is only theoretically sound on the assumption that someone else is checking.

If you're happy with the spv security model-- perhaps you should be using SPV? :) This is a little trite I know, because it's not quite identical because of the "past": but the vast majority of the sync time is in the last two years in any case, and practical considerations mean you wouldn't be able to just arbitrarily choose how far to sync from (as you need to be able to get the utxo set as of that height).

In the ethereum world effectively almost all synchronization is done using 'fast sync' which is essentially the committed utxo blindly trust miners model. Performance and storage considerations mean you can't go back more than a tiny amount of time (I believe its normally 4 hours). Many commercial entities operate with multiple nodes and if they detect they've fallen behind they just auto-restart and fast sync to catch back up. Effectively this means that if miners commit invalid state they'll just blindly accept it after a couple hours outage.

All assumevalid is doing is asserting that the ancestors two weeks back and further of a specific block hash all have valid signatures. When you get a setting there as part of the software you're running you're assuming that the software isn't backdoored (e.g. because of a public review process, or your own review). Assumevalid is strictly easier to review than pretty much any other aspect of the software integrity. E.g. there are 100 places where a one character change would silently bypass validation completely. Reviewing AV simply requires checking that the value set in it is an accepted block in some existing running node. AV as implemented also requires the blockchain to agree and have two weeks of work ontop of it, so it's just in every way harder to undermine validation by messing with it than changing the code some other way.

On a technically pedantic point. It takes a minute or so to sha256 the UTXO set, so doing literally what you suggest would utterly obliterate validation performance. (fortunately rolling hashes accomplish what you mean without the huge performance hit.)


thanks for detailed response!

> Depending on a utxo state in blocks is effectively the SPV security model, -- it's an utter blind trust in miners to set the value honestly

if it was hardforked in as part of consensus protocol - miner's wouldn't be able to set invalid utxo set hash any more than they are able to "produce" blocks with invalid signatures, or am i missing something?

as for storage and performance, maybe it would make sense to take the performance hit of maintaining a persistent immutable set such that you would be able to travel back as far as you like with minimal overhead.

do you know of any active PRs/branches where utxo commitment work is/has been happening?


They can produce blocks with invalid signatures, but they're stopped by nodes validating. But if instead of validation nodes skip blocks and use a commitment to the state, then they're not validating anymore. How that fails is why I gave the ethereum example, because I think the security has actually practically failed there-- just not been exploited yet.

> as for storage and performance, maybe it would make sense to take the performance hit of maintaining a persistent immutable set such that you would be able to travel back as far as you like with minimal overhead.

The cost of supporting that arbitrarily would be extremely high over and above the cost of having the complete blockchain. I don't see why anyone would choose to run a node to serve that. I certainly wouldn't-- it's obnoxious enough just to have an archive node. But having some periodic snapshots would probably be fine ... but not that many since each would be on the order of 7GB of additional storage.

No, there is work ongoing I haven't been following closely. Sounds like you're more interested in the assumeutxo style usage, so search for that and muhash.


2 MB doesn't solve the issue, does it? Bitcoin is having exponential growth. You don't go for a hard-fork to just "double" the capacity. If the hard-fork was promising x100-x1.000 capacity, I'd imagine it being less contentious.

> Bitcoin is having exponential growth

in number of transactions? I do not think so, and according to the first few results I've found[0][1] it's not true.

[0] https://www.statista.com/statistics/730806/daily-number-of-b...

[1] https://bitcoinvisuals.com/chain-tx-day


yes, in number of transactions. just realize that if bitcoin went unlimited, most of the altcoin activity would be happening on bitcoin chain. blockchain space being limited resource priced out economically un-viable activity into shitcoins.

I linked two sources that show the number of transactions is not increasing exponentially.

What source do you base your claim that they are?


did your sources include all the activity on all of the altcoins?

In hindsight it should be obvious that these "smarter" scaling solutions have utterly failed to keep Bitcoin functioning as peer-to-peer electronic cash, like the original intention was.

This is factually incorrect. And, this sort of misinformation is one of the reasons people don't like the crypto-hype.

Perhaps a pruned node can get somewhere in the area of sub-10G, but a "full node" is actually at around 328G: https://www.statista.com/statistics/647523/worldwide-bitcoin...


A pruned node is a full node. A full node is any node that is fully validating. A pruned node is fully validating;

"Full nodes download every block and transaction and check them against Bitcoin's consensus rules." (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Full_node#Archival_Nodes)

Pruned nodes do just that.

The blockchain data structure means that once verified, you don't need to store old blocks. You only need the most recent blocks to verify new ones.

The nodes you're talking about, that store the entire blockchain, is called an archival node.

Anyway, encouraging people to install full nodes, pruned or not– which enforces the rules– improves Bitcoin's decentralization.[0]

[0]: https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/validation


It should be clarified that running a node isn't worthwhile as a "set it and forget it" contribution. If you're not actively using it for something, it will just silently break if the network does something against the rules and does nothing to improve decentralization. It doesn't even really matter from a software signalling perspective, because Sybil attacks are easy from someone with enough money to run lots of nodes.

At best it's a gateway drug to get people more involved.

Interestingly, running a lightning routing node actually is a way an individual can run a full node to not only generate some fees to cover the cost, but actively and consistently participate in the cyber economy and have a marginal voice in enforcing the rules. The nodes you have channels with are incentivized to care about your vote if they want to stay connected to you.


Wait what? I thought a full node needed 200GB+… Since when are the requirements so low?


“ It is possible to configure your node to to run in pruned mode in order to reduce storage requirements. This can reduce the disk usage from over 350GB to around 7GB.”

From [1] in the parent.


Ah, so it's 5 (7) GB for a pruned node! That makes sense. But then the comment is inaccurate:

  A Bitcoin full node only takes 5GB of disk space to run, and 256MB of memory.
Should instead read

  A Bitcoin pruned node only takes 5GB of disk space to run, and 256MB of memory.
A full node may still be required for certain use setups (such as when used by lnd – a Lightning Network daemon).

The pruned/archival distinction is orthogonal from the full/simplified categorization. A full node that pruned spent transactions is not a contradiction of terms.

Edit: a “full” node is one which fully validates blocks, meaning it checks that blocks meet all of bitcoin’s consensus rules. All data in bitcoin is either validated once the first time it is seen (like witness data), or at most twice (an output and its later spend). Pruned nodes garbage collect this data once it can provably never be referenced again. This does not diminish the nodes ability to check bitcoin’s consensus rules, so it is still a full node.


It is correct in the bitcoin jargon, but it kinda goes against the common usage of "full".

If you have a "full" version that is missing some info, people will be confused.


Full node is an abbreviation of "Fully validating node", which was a term created in contrast to "simplified payment validation" (which basically means perform no validation yourself and trust that the majority of hashpower is being honest due to pressure of other participants validating).

If you define the term "full" like that, then we need a word for a node which stores all the history.

The term is archive node, which has been in use since history pruning was implemented.

Archive node implies non-pruned and txindex enabled?

One thing that made me laugh regarding the Ethereum “archival node” semantics debate was that equivalent functionality (immediate lookup of any transaction by address) in Bitcoin requires an additional index, like ElectrumX. Apparently many of the loudest Bitcoiners would benefit from understanding the distinction between a block explorer and a full node.


no, txindex doesn't do anything network visible at all. It's just a wallet-ish feature.

It is definitely possible to run a lightning node using a pruned backend. The official implementation doesn't "support" it, but that is only because some additional thinking is required on the end user's part. It is really just a matter of implementing the code to instruct the backend to get the pruned, but still needed by lnd, transactions - and the work is happening:

https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/pull/5154


You only need to store the most recent blocks for security to verify new blocks. 5GB– the minimum Bitcoin Knots, a variant of Bitcoin Core, allows 3 days of blocks. A chain rewrite/51% attack is unlikely to last 3 days because of the probabilistic grantees.

So the state for all addresses ever used fits in those couple gigabytes? Plus of course full state for a few days for longest-chain purposes, like you wrote.

I thought the majority of the hundreds of gigabytes consisted of dormant and throwaway addresses that still have some value on them, but it sounds like I've got the wrong impression and by removing transaction history for empty addresses and other historic block data, it's only a few gigabytes?


Bitcoin nodes only need to work with the state of existing spendable coins.

The need to track previously used stuff in some other systems to prevent transaction replay is a design flaw that Bitcoin avoided.

The vast majority of the blockchain data is digital signatures which you don't need anymore once you've validated them (except to help other people sync up).


Keep in mind most lightning implementations require a full node to function properly.

The current Bitcoin Core on Windows stores 366GB of data on your local drive excluding the app files. Source: Looking at the folders on my PC right now.

Were we getting low on disk space?

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hard_drive_capacit...

It’s perverse you are proud of that and chose a tiny hard drive size over becoming actually useful and doing more than seven transactions per second. Time marches on, technology improves, but Bitcoin is proud they can run a node on a computer from 1995.


Decentralization/trustless aspect of Bitcoin is the utmost important thing, without those, there's no need for it, we can just use fiat.

Once you've accepted that premise, the next question is how do you achieve the most decentralization? The answer is by having the most nodes. How do you get people to run nodes? Make it super cheap to run. It's simple really, people are not paid to run nodes (miners != nodes). It's not about storage space, you also have to consider network latency and propagating those blocks across a large adversarial network.


Nodes that neither mine nor have economic weight (e.g. exchanges) just slow down the network; they don't contribute anything.

The idea is that everyone should be able to verify the blockchain. If you can't verify it yourself, you have to trust someone.

That! I would never consider running an Ethereum node but btc is well within range and is something that I’m looking at


I bought a second 10TB harddrive just to be able to run a full eth node, right now even fast sync of eth requires like 400GB+, full archives sits at 6TB+ [1]. When infura went down, the whole network had issues [2]. I'm really hoping the eth2 will somewhat improve the situation, but we'll see.

1: https://ethereum.org/en/developers/docs/nodes-and-clients/

2: https://cryptobriefing.com/infura-outage-sparks-debate-over-...


How does Bitcoin "enforce new rules" without creating a hard fork?


It is a soft fork. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/technical/bip-8-bip-9-or-modern-... "The nice thing about adding or tightening rules is that anything that an upgraded node considers valid, a non-upgraded node considers valid, too."

The signalling mechanism is a way for the miners to vote ahead of time whether they will follow to the new fork or not. If more than 10% of the hash power of the network does not signal that it will follow, then the fork is called off and won't happen.


The same was a sculptor extracts a bust from a block of raw marble -- subtractive geometry.

Bitcoin's rules specify what isn't allowed and violating that breaks compatibility, but the system can become more restrictive without becoming incompatible.

Huge chunks of the space of possible inputs was set aside for futures use by allowing them in blocks without imposing any structure (while disallowing them for loose transactions so nodes won't inadvertently relay transactions which are invalid due to rules they don't understand).

In that sense all future features are already complete latent inside the system and to make them useful the community need only chip away at all the permitted inputs which aren't compatible with the desired new functionality. :)


The idea is that, under the old version, the transactions enforcing new rules look like "anyone can spend this transaction". Hence, old clients still accept these transactions, they just don't verify them. The new nodes do verify those transactions, which prevents unauthorized transactions from reaching the blockchain, as long as there are enough new nodes.

I think the confusion is that the old nodes might create new chains that the new nodes will not follow. But with >90% of the hash power of the network on one side, the old-style blocks will be orphaned pretty quickly. And all clients will follow the longest chain they consider legitimate, so old-style blocks will just be ignored after they are orphaned.

Oh, there's a certificate issue. I was wondering why Smart Screen was giving me a hard time about the download even though I was... fairly sure it was legit.


Wow, the future is here. In just 12 short years we made it to version 0.21.

At this point bitcoin is like an economic black hole. Most technology allows us to do more with less. So far, bitcoin doesn't follow that pattern. The higher the price, the more resources are needed to secure the network.


> Wow, the future is here. In just 12 short years we made it to version 0.21.

I guess the next major release is going to blow your mind.


There’s a new release every six months regardless.

Doesn't Algorand and Ethereum solve these issues already? The transaction fees on Bitcoin essentially just make it a savings account. Does Bitcoin actually have potential for smart contracts?

Bitcoin currently consumes over 0.1% of the entire energy of the planet.

Bitcoin currently emits as much carbon as the entire country of Sweden.

Bitcoin currently creates 10000 tons of electronic waste and associated pollution a year.

Bitcoin is currently enabling a massive epidemic of ransomware, which is not only crippling businesses but also critically important societal services.

At this point, it is neither ethical nor moral to use bitcoin, or do anything that helps it thrive.

Bitcoin is a crime against humanity, and must be destroyed as soon as possible.


What societal services are being crippled by ransomware that's so called enabled by Bitcoin?

Please understand there's a difference between what the technology provides and what it's being used for. Malicious people using the technology is true of many many technologies. I keep getting phishing calls every other day to give my SSN, does that mean the social security program should be canceled for this very reason?


> What societal services are being crippled by ransomware that's so called enabled by Bitcoin?

https://threatpost.com/ransomware-hits-hospitals-hardest/162...

> Please understand there's a difference between what the technology provides and what it's being used for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_purpose_of_a_system_is_wha...


> I keep getting phishing calls every other day to give my SSN, does that mean the social security program should be canceled for this very reason?

No, but according to some people's logic it's a reason to ban telephone calls.


A person could reasonably argue that it's a good reason to ban untraceable phone calls, which is actually being worked on. Likewise, a person could reasonably argue that truly anonymous money shouldn't exist. I'm not actually convinced of this, but it's a coherent position to hold.

> Bitcoin currently consumes over 0.1% of the entire energy of the planet

bitcoin doesn't consume any energy at all, you have a severe misunderstanding of what PoW is and how it works.


I was rather under the impression that using btc requires mining btc which uses a rather lot of energy. What am I missing?

If btc required switzerland's worth of energy to mine a block - how on earth did satoshi mine blocks in 2009 all alone by himself?

the answer is that bitcoin doesn't require any amount of energy beyond a single computer to churn out blocks. all the energy usually attributed to being "used" by bitcoin is in fact energy purchased by users to acquire and/or maintain certain level of security of their financial assets.

bitcoin is simply an instrument through which security of financial assets can be expressed in form of pure energy, which is completely transparent and can't be faked. that security comes for a price and as long as users are willing to pay this much money for that amount of security - miners will continue producing it, consuming energy in the process.


Nothing. This is just one more sociopathic bitcoiner excuse.

You know, I'm pretty sure you're only getting downvoted because of the name calling; if you didn't call people sociopaths your actual concerns would be better received.

You can play word games all day long, but the fact remains: without blockchains the world would use considerably less energy. Whether you call that energy usage "consumption" or "requirement" or what not is just pedantic nitpicking.


That's deliberately misleading. It's impossible to mine bitcoin without burning up cpu time which means energy. And every year it gets harder, by design (to control the volume of new btc).

But of course you know that. I wonder why the trollish comments.


> impossible to mine bitcoin without burning up cpu time which means energy.

i'm sure you would agree that amount of energy required to find signatures at 0 difficulty is negligible

> And every year it gets harder, by design (to control the volume of new btc).

no, it doesn't get harder "by design", it gets harder because bitcoin is an instrument that has created a market where financial security can be purchased in form of energy, so it gets harder because that kind of security has value on the market and users keep purchasing it.

> But of course you know that. I wonder why the trollish comments.

turns out you were wrong in your assumptions, yet you proceeded to call me a troll. how about not doing that in future?


I do not. You seem to have a severe case of trying to rationalise incredible destructive waste with pointless semantic arguments. I would recommend you stop that, and open your eyes to reality, where Bitcoin is causing massive, massive harm to society and you are helping.

I think you're virtue signalling concerns about the environment in a situation where those concerns don't even apply. Bitcoin is an idea that opens a market for financial security expressed in form of energy expenditure. That kind of security apparently has value on the market and so while users are willing to purchase it - energy will be spent. If for whatever reason bitcoin ceases to exist, this kind of energy expenditure will just migrate into different system because idea is out of the bag.

So get off your high horse and do something that actually helps the environment rather than fighting windmills.


Complete and utter libertarian nonsense and rubbish. Sociopathic rationalisation of dumb greed.

Great argument, as always, from people like you, enjoy your irrelevance :)

100% accurate. There's no counter-argument to be made to what you said, because it was in fact complete gibberish that only make sense in libertarian fantasy land. In reality, none of what you said even means anything.

Replace "bitcoin" with "the panicked response to COVID", inflate the numbers significantly, and you may be onto something.

Garbage.

Every time a chain hardforks like this, they basically create a new currency and everyone starts calling the new currency "Bitcoin", "Ethereum" etc. While in theory it is not.

What would happen if a Bitcoin fund like Grayscale would say that their customers are only entitled to the "original" Bitcoins in the fund. So investors would be left with pretty much worthless stuff?

What would happen if they don't, but the original coins keep being traded at say 10% of the value of the new ones. Who pockets those 10%?


The ETC/ETH split was an actual fork resulting in two chains, but Segwit and Taproot don't cause chain splits so it's not a similar situation.

If somebody like Grayscale decided to outright scam their own investors (why?) there are a hundred excuses they could invent to justify it; they don't need to blame a protocol upgrade.

Segwit was activated years ago. There were some conspiracy theories about Segwit UTXOs being worth less than legacy UTXOs but AFAIK they were totally unfounded. So far Bitcoin is Bitcoin and I don't see any reason why that would change.


> Every time a chain hardforks

I may be mistaken, but I don't think taproot is a hard fork.


I would guess that Grayscale and others have thought of that, and have written it into their contracts with customers. I'd also bet they're the ones who pocket the proceeds from any forks.


I decided to look this up. "If a permanent fork, similar to Ethereum, were to occur to bitcoin, the Trust would hold equal amounts of the original and the new bitcoin as a result. In consultation with the Index Provider, the Sponsor would select a Bitcoin Network (and therefore a single version of bitcoin). The Sponsor would simultaneously isolate the bitcoin on the Bitcoin Network that it did not select to segregate it from the Trust’s Bitcoin Holdings. The Sponsor’s intention would be to distribute to its Shareholders the bitcoin on the Bitcoin Network that it did not select. Therefore, the Trust would only hold one version of bitcoin. It is uncertain whether the value of the distribution of the bitcoin on the Bitcoin Network that the Sponsor did not select would equal the change in the value of the Shares. Consequently, a permanent fork could materially and adversely affect the value of the Shares." Pretty loose policy. https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1588489/000119312517...

I don’t get why this is downvoted. It is technically true and raises an interesting legal issue.

Edit: Isn’t this also what happened on some exchanges with the previous big forks?


It's being downvoted because it's inapplicable to this situation... there isn't any hardfork here. The change is fully compatible.

The question he's trying to bring up is an interesting one, but this is the wrong thread to bring it up on.

On this subject-- Checkout Archer v. Coinbase, where coinbase kept a large amount of a users forked coins and prevailed in court.


I didn’t downvote, but I think the comment has a factually inaccurate premise: this isn’t a hard fork.

After activation of Taproot, coins can be spend in ways they could not before. How is that not a hard fork?

> coins can be spend in ways they could not before.

No, after activation of Taproot, coins can be spend in fewer ways than they could before. The new 'taproot outputs' will look like "anyone can spend" transactions to old nodes. It is only new nodes that will enforce the new rules on these transactions.


For Segwit (a soft fork in the past), it was done by making the new transactions look like they have unsecured "pay to anybody" outputs, as far as the not-upgraded bitcoin clients are concerned. The new bitcoin clients would however be aware of extra data (the "segregated witness") and use that for additional validation. This way all of the new stuff would still be valid for the not-upgraded clients.

To make future soft forks easier, the Segwit data has a version byte, and unknown future versions are also considered as "anyone can spend". So taproot only had to increment the version from 0 to 1 to work as a soft fork.


That might make a Segwit transaction in a block look legit to a node.

But what happens if a miner interprets a Segwit transaction as "pay to anybody" and creates a block that violates the "additional validation" performed by newer miner/node software?


> But what happens if a miner interprets a Segwit transaction as "pay to anybody" and creates a block that violates the "additional validation"

They don't because segwit (or taproot, for that matter) script is flagged using input-space that the old software knows is "from the future" so that it knows it doesn't know how to validate it. As a result, they won't relay it, won't mine it, and won't display it in their wallets until confirmed. But if someone else puts it in a block they'll accept it.

If someone goes and lobotomizes their own software so that it'll mine stuff it knows it doesn't understand, then they could produce an invalid block. But anyone that is upgraded just ignores their block like it never happened.

This is why the activation of such things is normally triggered by a super-majority of hashpower being upgraded: It's for the benefit of parties that haven't upgraded so that even if there are some bad-data-maniacs out there pulling expensive stunts, their invalid blocks are quickly left behind and even non-upgraded nodes won't see many confirmations before the bad block is removed. (And upgraded nodes won't see any at all, of course.)

In the case of taproot 90% of the hashrate has to signal support during any one of several two week signaling periods to trigger activation. If that doesn't happen, people will figure out why and try again (potentially with different activation criteria).


    anyone that is upgraded just
    ignores their block
Yes, but everyone who is not upgraded does not. So there will be two chains that hold value. One run by a network of pre-taproot software and one run by a network of post-taproot software.

> So there will be two chains that hold value.

Nah, because the post-taproot software will have more hashpower (due to how it activates), the taproot enabled blocks are acceptable to old nodes, and Bitcoin follows the valid chain with the most hashpower.

Bitcoin has introduced changes like this a good dozen times in the past, it doesn't create two separate chains in practice.

The only way it can create two separate chains is if the unupgraded side has a super majority hashpower, one of them modifies their software to mine something invalid under the new 'future' rules... and no humans intervene to prevent that outcome (e.g. by getting hashpower to move). In practice this doesn't happen because the activation is triggered by 90% hashpower indicating that it will enforce. (and won't turn active until November, giving people plenty of time to upgrade)


Does the old software really have to be modified to "mine something invalid under the new 'future' rules"? Isn't it possible to simply craft a transaction that is invalid according to the new software but valid according to the old software?

The definition of valid is different in different contexts.

To old nodes taproot transactions are valid when they've been included in a block, but are invalid when they are relayed on the network.

This is accomplished by taking all the parts of the transaction that are reserved for future extensions and making their use invalid for the purpose of relay, mining selection, or wallet display in advance.

So you can make a transaction that is invalid to new nodes, but valid-in-blocks to old but it'll still be invalid to them for other uses. It's sufficient that new stuff be considered valid in blocks by old nodes for the system to still come to consensus, since only the blocks are included in consensus.

[Thanks for all the questions, BTW, it's been an interesting discussion.]


Tricky. I agree that the sum of these circumstances make it somewhat hard to say if something like taproot creates a new currency or not. As long as the longest chain is the one with taproot transactions, then probably not.

Then that block is rejected by the upgraded clients and miners.

That is exactly my point. This creates a chain that is valid with the pre-taproot software and invalid with the post-taproot software.

Both will hold value.

And my question is how funds like Grayscale (And 21shares, exchanges, etc) will handle this.


All the nodes (even the old ones) run on the rule that the longest chain (the one with more work) is the valid one so the chain with the one invalid block won’t be longest because no one will build on it. As a result even the old nodes which don’t know the new rules won’t accept the blocks based on the longest chain rule.

This is not possible with a miner activated soft fork, because the upgraded fork will have the longest chain. This is guaranteed by the activation process, which requires a supermajority of miners to agree.

This longest chain is valid for both upgraded and not-upgraded participants. So that's the consensus that everybody follows.


Fwiw none of that is specific to segwit, all prior bitcoin upgrades in the past were structurally similar. Back in 2012 P2SH, for example, effectively replaced the whole script system (with a copy of itself nested inside a hash).

The easiest way to think about it is a soft fork is backwards compatible while a hard fork is not.

Taproot is backwards compatible in that non-taproot nodes will just ignore things they don't understand without affecting consensus.


Because this release is a soft fork basically to vote on whether or not to upgrade “the” BTC network. If 90% agree, I think it’s disingenuous to call it a fork rather than an upgrade.

I think this is a systematic issue with Hacker News, Reddit etc.

While low quality comments are easy to spot, low quality votes are not.

I often think HN should have the requirement to explain a downvote. I would think that downvotes like these have low quality explanations like "Shut up, idiot!". So these low quality votes could be dealt with and the voters future votes could be discounted.


You're being downvoted here because this isn't a compatibility breaking change. No hardfork. So the questions you raise aren't likely to be implicated here.

I don't think that is true. I don't think miners and nodes can keep running the old software and not run into problems. Look through this thread to see my reasoning:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27021878


Not sure you realize who you're debating regarding the mechanics of Bitcoin forks...

It's all cool. It only turns silly when instead of discussing they flip to "you don't understand how Bitcoin works". :)

For every person that won't take my word for it there are probably 100 people here reading and learning something they didn't know.


I have seen you doing this for years (here and on reddit) and I have to say it's amazing and thank you.

You're always very calm and communicate quite clearly even with aggressive people suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect that probably don't deserve it.

But like you say, there are a lot more people reading the interactions so your efforts aren't wasted.


One of the problems of online communications.

Everyone has an equal voice, but certainly not all voices are equal.

Hopefully the GP comment spends 10 seconds trying to work out if you are correct.



Doesn't apply, nullc is backing up their arguments with actual technical explanations, not just saying "Just trust me, don't you know who I am?"

Not criticizing nullc's arguments (which I agree with), but rather the acolyte trying to tell the disagreeing party off thereby actually ruining it for everyone.

Did you find my reply there and here https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27022013 informative?



Guidelines | FAQ | Lists | API | Security | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: