Which ones do you take? How long have you been taking them for?
Old HN post from 2015: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9242379
- On good days, it would help with a sort of focus where I sit down and the day just whizzes by. I could often get a lot of grunt work done, or deep dives that don't require a lot of outside thinking.
- I'm pretty reserved, and I felt more chatty when taking.
- Works well as an appetite suppressant. I already have trouble gaining weight, so this is obviously bad. And along with the coffee I drink, it just wrecks my stomach.
- Maybe I'm misremembering/misattributing, but my mood seemed worse
- I'd often feel either spaced out or rushed. This usually means my entire day is shot, given the drug's half-life
Unless you're going to personally verify the composition of the pills you receive, you're taking mystery pills from a person/company that's already knowingly breaking the law. For what -- coding productivity? If you feel you need medication, consult a professional.
Over the long term, nothing beats it.
But there are performance enhancers in pure performance and also in spiritual/mental aspects that can make you see problems in different ways.
Best of the former is adderall, a good one of the latter is shroom microdose.
How is L-Theanine?
I haven’t taken anything insane, but the biggest thing I have noticed is being able to be more consistently productive. Your sleep metrics dictate your day’s performance.
Coffee + L-Theanine is beginner friendly and very good.
For improved performance also avoid inflammation. Vitamin C, Fish Oil, and NAC can be taken throughout the day for a noticeable cognitive boost. Avoiding sugars and artificial things is very helpful.
For information on all sorts of things, Leo and Longevity has great blog articles and YouTube channel.
70% DHA fish oil (long time)
D3+MK4 (long time)
Micro magnesium (years on and off, I swear taking magnesium makes my muscles twitch more than they already do)
Phenylpiracetam maybe once every 1-2 weeks for acute effects (2-3 years)