Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login

Is "graf" an actual term for a paragraph? Or is this some new Californian thing I haven't noticed?

Google [graf hed lede]. I use them, as I think many other people do, because they're very easy to type, and you knew what it meant without being told.

"Tk" also another great journalism shortcut; it's like "XXX" in code --- easy to search for and fix later.

I'm in Chicago.

Interesting, I'd never heard of anything like this. Thanks!

It's long-time journalistic slang for paragraph.

I pretty much only see it in editorial communication in my day job -- rarely do I see it something like a comment on a site like YC. Sort of feel like it's distracting, but whatever, not a big deal, I guess some people like the sound of it.

Applications are open for YC Winter 2018

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | DMCA | Apply to YC | Contact