Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login
2020 Game (2020game.io)
247 points by BerislavLopac 3 days ago | hide | past | favorite | 75 comments





The 503s are a part of the game, similar to when you try to go to your favorite spots but they're closed because of covid.

Putting 503 as the intro screen really ups the difficulty.

[flagged]


I think you forgot to finish your thought:

- The site is hosted on Yandex

- Yandex is owned by the FSB

- Therefore, visiting the site is unsafe because..? The FSB will embed an exploit in it in attempts to hack you? Because you will divulge private information(beyond playing the game) to the FSB? It's unclear what the threat you are trying to combat is.

This is besides the point(I am ready to believe for the sake of argument that Yandex is indeed owned by the FSB), but the wikipedia page you linked doesn't seem to support your argument. It seems like Yandex is trying to thread the needle between legal law enforcement requests and the safety and privacy of their users. Here's the full quote you ellipsed:

> In June 2019, RBC News reported that Yandex had refused a request by the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) under the Yarovaya law to surrender encryption keys that could decrypt the private data of its e-mail service and cloud storage users. The company argued that it was possible to comply with the relevant law without compromising its users' privacy.[82] Maxim Akimov, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia, said that the government will take action to relieve FSB pressure on the company.[83] Alexander Zharov, head of the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media, subsequently said that Yandex and the FSB had reached an agreement where the company would provide the required data without handing over the encryption keys.[84]


> I think you forgot to finish your thought

Oh, YEAH!

On December 31, 2020 the Russian government approved a list of Russian programs that must be preinstalled on all mobile devices and computers imported into Russia, including next software:

- Yandex (as search engine), Yandex.Browser (as default browser), Yandex.Maps, Yandex.Disk;

- Mail.Ru, Mail.Ru News;

- ICQ (owned by Mail.Ru);

- VK (VKontakte), OK (OdnoKlasniki);

- Gosuslugi (for communicating with official governmental Portal of state services of Russian Federation);

- MyOffice Documents;

- Kaspersky Antivirus.

This regulation comes into force on April 1, 2021.[0]

Enjoy!

NOTE: For security reasons, keep uMatrix & uBlock Origin turned ON while visiting reference link!

[0] http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/00012021010600...

[PDF] http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/File/GetFile/000120210106001...


They are just doing what Google is doing IMHO

Google is private corporation which produces own device & own operating system for them (aka "Android"). Google is not government of USA. US citizens may not buy Google device with preinstalled Google apps.

Russian government does not produces own devices even own operating system, but want preinstall apps developed by russian devs (controlled by FSB RF) on all devices produced by other countries. Russian citizens would not be able to buy any device without preinstalled apps required by Russian government since April 1, 2021.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯


True, I guess it's a bad move on both Google and Russia, if what you're saying is true.

> For security reasons, keep uMatrix & uBlock Origin turned ON while visiting reference link!

All it takes to protect oneself against the FSB is turning on uBlock? Really?

Some may remember what a Google team (Project Zero) discovered in China in 2019: the government used several official and private web sites to exploit 0-day vulnerabilities in iphones so that they could track the Uighur people. Apple later confirmed the hacking campaign.

> the Russian government approved a list of Russian programs that must be preinstalled …

Maybe the malicious intent that is heavily suggested here exists, but this list needs some explanation, which I found online.

By the end of 2019, the Russian government decided to promote the Russian software by pre-installing the most popular of them on every device sold. Russian companies were to submit their candidacy, and the government promised it would select the application with the most users during 2020.


By that argument most links should be removed from the frontage since we learned of PRISM.

> since we learned of PRISM

Lets not speculate there.

I provided proof screenshot and you may check it itself (BUT keep uMatrix & uBlock Origin turned ON!) that there is Yandex counter bundled on "2020 Game" site.

Any proofs that "2020 Game" site has something from PRISM?


No. But every second site linked here has Google Analytics embedded which is a product for the same purpose and for which equivalent evidence exists as you have presented. I'm not saying Google Analytics does anything nefarious but neither have you shown any evidence that Yandex Counter does.

> No.

So, lets not speculate.


Please apply your own advice to your own original comment.

Saying that company A cooperated with bad entity B in the past does not in any form show that website C using product D of company A does any dangerous thing to your device.


This is so creative, love the attention to detail throughout the whole game. The toilet paper depleting while quarantining was my favorite part.

You can donate to the creator of the game here: https://donorbox.org/2020-game

It took him 6 months!


In that specific part did you saw, in the end, some books going away too? Very good indeed :-)

wow, nearly $7k. Amazing how much a simple but topical game can gather in popularity and funds.

That's nothing for a game like this, taking 6 months.

It's a LOT from a donate button. Donate buttons generate barely any revenue at all, generally speaking. This game must have either got lucky with the crowd that's playing it, or has literally millions of players already.

Oh sure, for donations that's a lot. A good rule of thumb is asking for donations returns 1-10% compared to selling software for a fixed price. So the game perhaps could have brought $70-700k. Highly dependent on the type of software industry though.

Hmmm; I've started it on PC and it says "Please rotate your device" and it won't let me continue :-/

... I know I'm in a minority for not looking at the world through 2" stamp, but still :-P

Edit: Few F5's brought it up... interesting failure mode I suppose!

Edit2: OK, I suppose this counts as political, but I feel for historical accuracy and in the spirit of the game, both Trump & Biden should've raised their hands in victory after passing the flag :-D


The music is nice, but I can’t get past the second tree before everything freezes and becomes unresponsive. Tried on my desktop (Mac Pro, Safari/Brave) and mobile (iPhone, MobileSafari), both are freezing up in the same place.

EDIT: I made it to the start of 2020! I’ll be revisiting this later when it is hopefully not struggling under load so much, seems promising and well made.


Update: I completed it, and it is beautifully put together. Hats off to the dev.

Really nice and good looking game. But I have a lot of issues loading resources in Firefox on Linux, 5 retries to make it load.

Once loaded, it looks awesome. Great work to whoever did this!


I'm struggling with this in Firefox on Windows 10 too.

Same here. Took a couple of reloads. I'm glad I persevered, the game is very nice indeed!

Had to reload it a couple times to get it to work - seems like it might be getting hugged to death, and for good reason!

I agree. A few times an image didn't load, and it was replaced by a small square. The problem is that it was an object and I had to jump over that object, but the small square was too small and I couldn't jump. It solved after reloading, but I had to restart from the beginning.

(Fun small game. It's worth reloading a few times to try it.)


Anyone having problem launching this on Safari? Just blue screen and errors in console...

Same result using chrome on Android. A couple refresh cycles got it there.

Could play to the end in Firefox without issues.

(Well, can't close the info screen after opening it, only way I could get rid of it was reloading the page which resets progress. Other than that worked fine)


Tried to load it a bunch of times, finally managed to get it all on the fifth reload or something.

Played it. Loved it. Donated beer money at the end.

Love the style and effort put in to this, very creative! The saving of the koala bear was poignant, and I lost it at the toilet paper references – hilarious! I hope the author is energized and gets enough money through donations to spend a bit more time on filling this out with even more detail.


Gets stuck immediately when the 2019 text appears

Same here. This was on the second load. On the first load, I just saw a blue screen. Seeing lots of 503 errors in the console.

Blue screen.

    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level6.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level6.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/audio.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/audio.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/animations.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/animations.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level0.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level0.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level1.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level2.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level2.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level3.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level3.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level4.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level5.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level5.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/level7.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Loading module from “https://2020game.io/js/levels/outro.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/html”). 2020game.io
    Loading failed for the module with source “https://2020game.io/js/levels/outro.js”. 2020game.io:117:1
    Some cookies are misusing the recommended “SameSite“ attribute 11
    Request to access cookie or storage on “<URL>” was blocked because it came from a tracker and content blocking is enabled. 2

The mime type being html might mean the server is overloaded and it returned a generic 5xx html error page.

Bingo!

I also got the BSOD in both firefox and edge.

Same. Maybe it's a feature of 2020

Aaaaand another site hugged to death by HN :)

Froze for me after saving the Koala :/

Same for me, on Firefox 84. Looking at the console, it seems to be coming from the Phaser audio library ('t is undefined', stack trace to a minified file).

t is undefined has been the bane in my work Sentries (error log) in 2020 as well, so it's eerily accurate.

That was pretty cool, and at just the right length.. Thank you and good luck with making games!

Crashes after the loading indicator, the console is full of 503 errors (Chromium on Linux).

Sidenote: I really like how this stops playing sounds when I change the tabs. It'd be nice to have browser setting that does it.

Heh, this this is pretty cool. Donated a couple $. Hope the dev is able to pursue his passion!

Good one. Survived 2020. But man the music is so loud and abrupt at the start.

Nice to see this working well on Safari. Web games posted on HN sometimes don’t.

It got to "Stock Market Crash" and then crashed. Was that a joke?

Really fun, unfortunately it froze during second covid phase.

A few bugs, but I like the humour. The Tik Tok bit was funny.

Worked until the end for me. Nice little retrospective game.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you!

seems that someonw had fun learning haxeflixel. Title should be changed to "Show HN" probably as it brings nothing to HN apart of showing.

I'm not an expert, but I agree that this is probably not cutting edge technology. But the theme is original and the graphics cue and that makes it interesting.

(If you know how to use haxeflixel you can write a few demos / blog post about it. If they are interesting you can get a few upvotes here.)

The "Show HN" must only be used when the author is the submitter. I checked the names, but I didn't do a full internet search to verify their identities. They look like different persons. (Sometimes the author appear later after noticing the traffic peak.)

Games are not the main topic here, but if the game has some tweak that makes it interesting it may get traction here.

From the guidelines:

> anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity

It's not very specific, but it is not very specific on purpose.


Not that relevant but it seems to be a game made with Phaser not HaxeFlixel.

Yeah, my 503 errors clearly say Phaser. Actually makes me a little worried about the Phaser game I'm working on, if this could happen to it.

I don't think these are related to Phaser but indicate too much stress on the server. 503 is service unavailable and probably caused by being on HN frontpage.

Many of the comments above yours appear to disagree.

Fun little game, unfortunately crashed for me after the vaccine part, maybe that's a sign?

Had the exact experience. Was great while it lasted :)

That is pretty cool

Crashed a few times, like the actual 2020

Nice work Max!

Next level: vaccines

"Best played on desktop"

"Please rotate your device"

Which is it?


They aren't mutually exclusive, are they? It doesn't say only plays on desktop, just that the best experience is on desktop. For what it's worth, it played just fine on my phone, once fully loaded.

Technically you're correct, but rotating your desktop can be a bit problematic.

Haha fair enough! I didn’t think that the message showed on desktop, but if it does that’s hilarious.

The worst part about Covid isn't the virus itself but the stupidity that surrounds it.

This is a great post. Not the text of course, but it's implications. See, the people you think are stupid actually agree with you on this point -- and very likely see you as stupid. Statically, both of you rarely engage the other, but when you do it's to belittle, not to engage and learn. ...and who can blame you - you both think the other is a moron!

2020 saw unprecedented partisanship; if we all continue to insult and dismiss each other, what does the future hold? Unless we can learn to look past our biases and see each other as human beings, it won't be pretty.


You are attempting to lecture me about something I am very much aware of.

That's makes no sense... Why do you do it? Are you trying to speed up the revolution?

The death and illness is pretty bad.

So much so that we can make jokes about the virus while a pandemic is still ongoing.



Guidelines | FAQ | Lists | API | Security | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: