| ||Ask HN: Have you ever gone without a computer or phone for an extended period?|
165 points by luddite99 on June 5, 2020 | hide | past | favorite | 184 comments |
|I've been considering going "cold-turkey" and packing my laptop away for a while in order to unlearn some bad habits related to focus/distractions/procrastination, but obviously there are downsides to this for someone based in tech.|
I'm wondering if anybody in the community has ever attempted this and would like to share their experience.
A handful of questions to seed the conversation (but please don't feel obliged to answer them all):
- What did you give up? How long was this for? Was this intentional or due to external circumstances?
- What were your motivations for giving the technology up?
- Was your overall experience positive or negative? In what ways?
- Did you notice any changes in your happiness, focus or stress levels?
- Is an "all-or-nothing" approach as such unrealistic? Would a strategy of using tech "in moderation" be more suitable?
- Do you have any advice for how someone could regain focus, avoid distractions and generally use technology in a more
If you happen to know of any interesting blog posts/articles/previous discussions on the topic, please share.
Thanks in advance for your insights!
| Apply to YC