Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

I'm sorry but this reads like some mix of a sales pitch and religious preaching.

K8S doesn't eliminate the workflow for "deployments, upgrades, monitoring, etc.." it just black boxes them. It also assumes out of the gate that everything needs to be able to do HA, scale for 1,000,000 instances/s etc...

Over and over and over people show examples (I'm guilty too) of running internet scale applications on a single load balanced system with no containers, orchestration or anything.

So please stop preaching this as something for general computing applications - it's killing me cause I've got people above me, up my ass about why I haven't moved everything to Kubernetes yet.






> K8S doesn't eliminate the workflow for "deployments, upgrades, monitoring, etc.." it just black boxes them.

Kubernetes does not black box anything. At most it abstracts the computer cluster comprised of heterogeneous COTS computers, as well as the heterogeneous networks they communicate over and the OS they run on.

I'm starting to believe that the bulk of the criticism directed at Kubernetes is made up by arrogant developers who look at a sysadmin job, fail to undertand or value it, and proceed to try to pin the blame on a tool just because their ubriss doesn't allow them to acknowledge they are not competent in a different domain. After all, if they are unable to get containerized applications to deploy, configure, and run on a cluster of COTS hardware communicating over a software-defined network abstracting both intra and internet then of course the tool is the problem.


It's the exact opposite. I don't think that's stuff should be abstracted away.

> It's the exact opposite. I don't think that's stuff should be abstracted away.

Why not? The Kubernetes/serverless/DevOps people have a compelling argument--organizations can move faster when dev teams don't have to coordinate with an ops/sysadmin function to get anything done. If the ops/sysadmin/whatever team instead manages a Kubernetes cluster and devs can simply be self-service users of that cluster, then they can move faster. That's the sales pitch, and it seems reasonable (and I've seen it work in practice when our team transitioned from a traditional sysadmin/ops workflow to Fargate/DevOps). If you want to persuade me otherwise, tell me about the advantages of having an ops team assemble and gatekeep a bespoke platform and why those advantages are better than the k8s/serverless/DevOps position.


One of the things I see ignored in these discussions is the strategic timeline. Yes, dev teams can yeet out software like crazy without an ops team. But eventually you build up this giant mass of software the dev team is responsible for. Ops was never involved until one day the mgmt chain for the dev team realizes he can free up a bunch of capacity by dumping his responsibilities onto ops.

IMO, some of these practices come from businesses with huge rivers of money who can hire and retain world class talent. I’d like to see some case studies of how it works when your tiny DevOps team is spending 80% of their time managing a huge portfolio of small apps. How then do you deliver “new, shiny” business value and keep devs and business stakeholders engaged and onboard?


I approached K8s specifically from the point of Ops. It simplifies the story of supporting many applications immensely, in fact my first production deployment was done explicitly due to that reason - we have over 60 applications, we can't really reduce that number without unholy mess of rewrites that isn't certain to reduce that number at all.

Come kubernetes, and we have a way to blackbox developer excesses, push 12 factor onto it, and generally out of over 60 present apps, we have reduced our workload to really caring about maybe 5 classes of them, as they are commonalized enough that we can forget them most of the time.

At different job, we're pushing heavily towards standarized applications, to the point of Ops writing frameworks for the devs to use - thanks to k8s we get to easily leverage that, compared to spending lots and lots of time on individual cases.


I might be misunderstanding you, but this line makes me think you misunderstood the k8s/serverless/devops argument:

> your tiny DevOps team is spending 80% of their time managing a huge portfolio of small apps

In a DevOps world (the theory goes), the DevOps team supports the core infrastructure (k8s, in this case) while the dev teams own the CI pipelines, deployment, monitoring, etc. The dev teams operate their own applications (hence DevOps), the "DevOps team" just provides a platform that facilitates this model--basically tech like k8s, serverless, docker, etc free dev teams from needing to manage VMs (bin packing applications into VM images, configuring SSH, process management, centralized logging, monitoring, etc) and having the sysadmin skillset required to do so well [^1]. You can disagree with the theory if you like, but your comment didn't seem to be addressing the theory (sincere apologies and please correct me if I misunderstood your argument).

[^1] Someone will inevitably try to make the argument that appdevs should have to learn to "do it right" and learn the sysadmin skillset, but such sysadmin/appdev employees are rare/expensive and it's cheaper to have a few of them who can build out kubernetes solutions that the rest of the non-sysadmin appdevs can use much more readily.


> It also assumes out of the gate that everything needs to be able to do HA, scale for 1,000,000 instances/s etc...

k8s makes no assumptions about your workloads, it just gives you tools. And it's super useful even if you don't need to do HA or scale to a million instances.

Most production apps still need to manage deployments and rollbacks, configuration, security credentials, and a whole bunch of non-scale related things. And k8s makes a lot of that significantly more manageable.

Of course, this is overkill for a single application, but as you start adding more applications that need to be managed, the benefits really start to add up.

If you give something like GKE a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised. :-)


> K8S doesn't eliminate the workflow for "deployments, upgrades, monitoring, etc.." it just black boxes them. It also assumes out of the gate that everything needs to be able to do HA, scale for 1,000,000 instances/s etc...

What I've seen, anecdotally, is that many ops-background people don't "get" why kubernetes is such a big deal. They assert rightfully that they can already do everything, they already know how to do everything, and they can do it without the overhead (both cognitively and in terms of resource utilization) of k8s.

But, if you are writing and deploying code - especially if you're not in a terribly agile organization - k8s eases so many real pain points that "old" models have which ops teams may be only vaguely aware of. If you need a certain dependency, if you need to deploy any new software, an entire new language or approach, if you need a new service, you now have the ability to directly do it immediately.

I can't tell you what a big deal it is going to be for a developer at a random bigco to be able to run their code without waiting for ops to craft a VM with all the right bits for them.

k8s solves real problems. If you have a monolith and need to solve how to scale it, that's not where k8s shines. But with lots of small workloads, or dynamic workloads, or existing dev vs ops organizational hurdles, it can really be a game changer.




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: