3 Things To Know For Your First Remote Job.
And it is really just three things.
- Know your timezones
- Map your day in blocks of time
- Know your tools (chat, documentation etc.)
Well that might work for some type of jobs, I know for mine that I need a little more. "Map your day in blocks of time" would be all cool when there are no timezones to worry about. Cool when you can claim you do meetings just 3 hours a day, I know I can not with members all over the globe.
What I needed to find out the hard way, and find myself explaining to new team members is:
- Setup your cam so that your background is clean (no roommates / family members entering the picture unintentional)
- Get a SUPERB headphone with an EXCELLENT microphone
- Turn your mic to MUTE when you are not talking
- No, interruptions in a conversation do not work like when face to face, specifically not with more then 2 remote people in the meeting
- Wear "professional" clothing (even if it just the shirt)
- Do not eat or drink while in a meeting
- Your cool click clack keyboard makes a lot of noise
- We hear your mother scream in the background
- Practice makes perfect: do take some time to setup your cam / mic / background / whatever in a one on one session with a more experienced colleague.