Now, if you really want to make it more enticing, some things that would move the needle for me other than comparable salaries (although more cash is #1):
- Larger equity that automatically ups if it will be diluted, and the moment any shares vest I can sell them in the private market.
- Transparent cap table.
- If the founders take cash off the table, I can as well, and no preference for founders.
- 10 years after leaving to exercise my shares. I don’t want to have a 3 month trigger that handcuffs me to prevent a giant cap gains bill on “paper money” when the fair market value is way higher.
- Reasonable working hours.
- Flexible work from home policy.
But overall, go raise more and start offering more cash, because I assume 95% of startups are total failures.