Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

When you say "weird definition", do you mean it's a strange concept, or a strange name for that concept?

Edit: Or do you mean that "polynomial progression" has an existing definition, and this definition is equivalent, but is a strange way of stating it? Or do you mean the definition as stated in the article is wrong / differs from the standard definition?

I'd expect polynomial to follow definition of polynome:

x^n + c where n, c are fixed and x goes 0,1,2,... with the progression

instead of

n^x + c

..the latter I'd call exponential progression

Possibly that it doesn't seem to warrant an entirely new name? that "shifted geometric progression" or something might as well do.

See my other response to rini17 for more info.

But yeah, seems to me these "shifted geometric progressions" are actually just a special case of a more general concept of a "polynomial progression".

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact