IPUMS (https://www.ipums.org/) is a leader in the field of quantitative social science research and the largest disseminator of census and demographic data to the world’s academic research community. Or, to put it another way - we’re on a mission to gather, process, link and publish billions of records spanning hundreds of years and more than 100 countries so that demographers, historians, economists, environmental scientists, journalists, policymakers, and others around the globe can use the data to do amazing research and make the world a better place.
The position functions as a member of the data dissemination team and will have responsibility for design, implementation and support of software systems, including enhancing and adding new features to the IPUMS web applications and APIs as well as building standalone software systems. This position will report to the lead developer of the team. This position involves daily interaction with the rest of ISRDI IT, the ISRDI research staff, and other user communities.
* Bachelor’s degree. Two years of work experience in application/web/systems development with a related bachelor’s degree or four years of work experience in application/web/systems development with a non-related bachelor’s degree.
* API design and implementation
* Databases (relational or NoSQL)
* Containerization technologies such as Docker
* Service (or microservice) based architectures
* Developing applications in a Linux environment
* Working with and transforming large amounts of data
* The Ruby on Rails Framework
* Application server technologies such as NGINX and Passenger
* Message queues such as RabbitMQ and Kafka
* Data Analytics and B.I. experience