|Thesis: Sites that do well on hacker news will tend to be sites with high quality content.|
Tools: Hacker News Big Query, python, Google CSE
1. Using HN Big Query, get all unique domains with more than 3 stories with more than 50 points (query link ). Sort by percentage of such stories to total number of stories.
By doing that, at the top you will get sites like blog.geoffralston.com that have 3 out of 3 submitted stories get more than 50 points (100% !). Or lucumr.pocoo.org had 46 out of 124 total stories reach 50+ points! Talking about good writing.
We cut the list at 2,500 sites , where the popular to submitted ratio is still at enviable 12%.
2. Add to this list all sites that had exactly one submission and that only submission ever from that domain had 300+ points on HN. I call them unexplored one hit wonders and thesis is that there are probably other gems on the domain just not ssubmitted yet. 
3. Now we have about 3,000 sites total. We will use Google CSE engine which allows up to 2,000 sites through annotations . We have to clean the data now.
- Check if the domain still resolves. Sadly about 400 these high quality sites do not anymore.
- Check for redirects
For example this site is no longer on its old address:
https://david.weebly.com ... 302 Found (0.153)
http://www.david.blog/ ... 200 OK (0.0676)
- Check for all other sorts of weird errors
This took most of the day :) I used modified version of 
4. Manually clean the list from news sites that made it on (nytimes, usatoday...)
5. If you want to check if your site is on the list, check . If you are on the list congrats!
5. Finally, here is the end result:
Search cream of the crop of HN submitted sites!
Let me know if you find this useful!