There are only three reasons I've been drawn into some projects:
1) A bug occurs and needs to be fixed
2) An external dependency breaks something
- Write tests and/or have high confidence in code/infrastructure behavior (using tools you know really well helps). Avoid cognitive complexity in code constructs aggressively.
- Limit integration w/ 3rd parties EXCEPT the ones that reduce your goal of zero-maintenance.
- Create interfaces/tooling which make automating tasks easy.
- Get notified when things break