|Hey HN community!|
We're Bernat, Tim, and Rajiv, founders of Tandem (https://tandem.chat).
Tandem is a desktop app designed to give distributed teams the immediacy and flow of in-person communication. You can see who's online this second and talk/video/screenshare in one click.
What's unique about us is you can see what app your colleagues are working in (e.g. VS Code, Google Docs, Figma), which gives you a surprisingly clear sense of whether you can interrupt them or not. In fact, we've found it makes you feel like you're sitting around a table, without being overly invasive.
We started building Tandem when two of us had kids and started working from home more. We tried a bunch of different tools - Zoom, Discord, Slack, Hangouts, etc. - but hated the friction in all of them.
We felt slower, less collaborative, and more alone when we worked remotely. We built a one-click calling prototype, added video and screenshare, and this eventually became Tandem.
Some details on how instant calls work:
- You can click on someone and talk immediately, but they will be on mute until they accept.
- All calls start as voice, but can be upgraded to video and screenshare.
- Customizable rooms are a nice way to invite teammates to talk when they're free.
Some details on app presence:
- Your teammates will be able to see which work app you're currently in (only for a select set of integrated apps) - this gives everyone a sense of being together, and helps you know when a teammate is interruptible.
- You can go into Focus Mode if you don't want to be bothered, in which case your app will not be shown.
Pricing: 14 day free trial, then $10 / active user / month
We are doing a beta program where, if you can hop on a short feedback call every-other week, we extend the free trial indefinitely! This has helped us stay in touch with the people using it, and constantly improve.
We are constantly improving the app, so tell us what you think. With your help, we can make remote work more collaborative and social!
-Bernat, Rajiv, and Tim