Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

According to TFA, no, but they are nearly certain it was accidental. Top candidates include faulty electrical wiring and cigarette butts.



Given the prevalence of construction-initiated fires and the risk of fire in that space, I'm really surprised they even allowed smoking there.


They didn't; it was strictly forbidden. But, also according to TFA, they nonetheless found cigarette butts on the scaffolding.


Sometimes people break rules.


Almost invariably they break rules, that’s why sane systems have redundancies and contingencies for “what do we do when meatsack A fails to follow the rules?”.

Sometimes the answer is nothing (the result of the rule break may be minor) other times not.




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: