1. Frontend was less mature to begin with
2. Frontend has a unique, definitional state management problem in the DOM
3. Actually, we can make real progress sometimes
4. Really, frontend hasn’t made strides, you’re just ignoring $x
5. Several/none of the above?
(I think real progress is possible and disillusionment with some new technologies should not prevent us from trying. But also that the DOMs unique state management problem is so overt that functional approaches almost couldn’t help but dominate.)