Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

I can't believe that there isn't a simple service to transfer data between my cellphone and my computer without going through the internet. iTunes is terribly bloated, MTP is a mess, and Bluetooth is slow and frustrating.

Back in my hacker day I used to have an SSH server open on my cellphone and use it to transfer files back and forth with my computer. Why isn't there a mainstream service like that?






I recently switched back to iOS after years on Android, and on this point I've been very impressed with Airdrop. Dead simple UI, very quick transfer speeds, uses WiFi or Bluetooth as available. It's just a shame that it's limited to Apple devices.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Google simply wants to maximize the use of their servers here (independent of what users want/need):

1. P2P doesn’t give Google all that juicy mineable data that they get when everything you do makes round trips through their servers.

2. This would also implicitly encourage Android users to rely more on services like Google Drive/Docs for all files, which is good for them.

Edit: Apparently it is disputed that iOS has superior P2P file transfer support vs Android (see reply below), so perhaps all this is a moot point. I was assuming the truth of the parent post, and didn’t realize it was contentious; and since I’m not an Android or iOS expert, I can’t really argue that topic either way.


In addition to NUMEROUS 3rd party tools, Google already provides a tool exactly like AirDrop for Android.

It's a feature of the Files app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.and... which has over 100M installs.

Look at the 3rd screenshot.

ENCRYPTED FILE SHARING

Files’s offline file sharing is secured with WPA2 encryption, providing a more secure file transfer. Files app uses Bluetooth to set up encrypted and direct fast wifi connection, so that you can transfer app APK or large files in seconds, send videos or pictures to your friends. Safe and secure.

SHARE FILES OFFLINE

Share your pictures, videos, documents, or apps with others nearby who also have the app. With fast speed up to 480 Mbps, it’s fast, free, and it works without the internet, so it doesn’t cost mobile data. Just pair up your phone with anyone nearby who has Files app.


Does Files actually allow transfer with desktops or laptops? It sounds like it only transfers between Android devices.

Apparently only Android - Android (and maybe ChromeOS, since that can run Android apps)

You can only share files "with others nearby who also have the app".

It's not really necessary on a desktop or laptop., Unlike an iPhone, all you have to do to transfer to a desktop is plug in a USB cable. After that, you select to share your storage with the PC on your android phone and you can operate on it as if it were a USB drive or a digital camera. On an iPhone you have to install iTunes, log on, jump through a bunch of hoops, and then you only get access to a fraction of the phone's filesystem anyway.

Google Files doesn't work with location services turned off. Because, you know, that's oh so critical for transferring data over the internet.

Interesting! Also, is this free/open source?

Isn’t it because it’s limited to apple devices that it works so nicely? Even some times before recent updates they’ve made, ive had airdrop work improperly where my old MacBook Air wouldnt show up, etc etc. it would be a nightmare to get that working across android and pc devices

Just to be clear, Wifi network doesn't need to be available. If I remember correctly, initial connection setup is done through Bluetooth, then one device invisibly sets up an adhoc wifi connection to the other to transfer. The two devices don't have to be attached to a Wifi network. Quite spiffy.

Agreed. And app hand-off (for the small number of apps that use it, basically only Safari for me) is fantastic as a "task transfer" tool as well.

I also use copy/paste between my Mac and iPhone quite a lot, which is a Handoff feature

What about https://syncthing.net/?

EDIT: I know you said without going through the internet. Syncthing can be configured to only transfer over specific networks (e.g. home LAN/WI-FI)


I've been using it for (almost) everything and it has always work perfectly:

I keep my phone's picture in sync with my personal computers ("send only" so I can remove old photos when my SD card is getting full).

I sync a "media" folder where I dump all the music and video I download with the youtube-dl CLI (a "yt" alias makes sure the files are stored in the right directory with some custom parameters).

I sync my KeepassXC databases (work and personal), between my personal Linux laptop, my Android phone and my work MacbookPro. Databases can be merged in a single click if there's any conflict (happens very rarely). I love the Android secure autofill service and fingerprint quick unlock

I use a "temp" folder to drag'n drop stuff between computers so I can file it properly on the right device. On Android, I prefer to use the Syncthing "sharing intent" to make any file/media available on my other devices in just a tap.

I also have installed Syncthing on my Android TV, and occasionally drop HD movies that I download on my phone over P2P (I have a pretty fast connection, so it's easier for me to choose a move from my phone, while in commute, have it download in a few seconds, and either stream it to my TV via Chromecast or open it from the synced folder through Kodi)

This really is a dream setup.


I love it as well, but my one gripe with the Android app is that it does not support read/write sync on external storage (SD cards). This means, in my case, that I have to share photos from my phone in a read-only fashion. It's not a deal-breaker by any means, but it's annoying, because if I want to add photos to my collection that were obtained elsewhere (e.g. my underwater camera), I have to transfer those files to my phone first in order for them to properly propagate to all my other devices.

Here is the related issue: https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android/issues/29


I would suspect that if you reconfigure your SDCard to be internal storage then it will work again. This is a limit of Android permissions that happened a couple of major versions ago (I use a different tool for file transfer and I remember when it stopped being able to transfer files to external storage).

I suggest to use https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.catfriend1.syncth... and setup the synced folder on the SD Card as a subdirectory of the app data folder. It's worked well with an old phone (until I replace it with one that no SD card but 128+ GB of storage)

Syncthing is in dire need of an iOS client. There's an unofficial one, but it was unmaintained and didn't sync with recent versions of Syncthing last I checked.

Is it a technical limitation, insufficient developers, or a license issue? IIRC GPL doesn't work with the store.

I believe just insufficient developers. It seems like they're open to someone taking it on: https://forum.syncthing.net/t/on-syncthing-ios-port-again/89...


I feel like there must be some iOS limitations as well. Dropbox can't even sync files in the background, so if I take a bunch of photos, I have to leave it running and touch the screen every couple of minutes in order to get all the photos uploaded. I feel like Dropbox apps are generally pretty good, and this was way janky, and had to be an iOS limitation, but I'm not 100% sure.

iOS apps (including Dropbox) can sync data in the background, but it's a bit janky. You have to give the app permission to access location services. It'll upload a bit of data in the background every time your phone location changes.

I use syncthing for all my personal file syncing. It is so useful and secure to boot!

>I can't believe that there isn't a simple service to transfer data between my cellphone and my computer without going through the internet.

KDE Connect, https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect#What_is_KDE_Connect.3F i've been using it for years


I've been using this, but I just switched to the Sway for my WM and I'm unsure of how to use KDEConnect with Sway. Any ideas?

I've been using sway for a few weeks as well. I just used it once to share a file from my phone, and here's what I did:

    export $(dbus-launch)
    kdeconnect-cli -l
    *then I sent the file from the phone*
It could be launched on start; there's also appindicator-kdeconnect that should work with a tray icon, as well, AFAIK.

It's supposedly UI agnostic and just requires QT5. Probably you can build it from source, and it will open as a normal app, in its own tile.

A number of Android File Managers these days (Amaze comes to mind) include a toggle option to turn your phone into an FTP Server. You would then just pull it up on your computer via ftp://192.168.X.X and put an optional user/pass over it. I've used that for many years if I need to quickly transfer some documents or songs between devices.

Not technically internet so much as intranet.


And on the flipside, I've used AndFTP to connect to my laptop from Android 2.0 through 8.1 - it supports sftp and a few other protocols.

This is my preferred method. I use SolidExplorer to start the ftp server and use an alias to access via lftp.

Resilio sync [1] is a great service I've used to transfer files using P2P technology. It still uses the Internet, but avoids any intervening parties.

If you're using Android, you could just use USB transfer using Android File Transfer [2]. Super easy, super fast.

[1] https://www.resilio.com/individuals/ [2] https://www.android.com/filetransfer/


If both computers are on the same LAN, Resilio Sync shouldn't hit the internet at all.

KDE connect works without internet access. I haven't used it on Windows, but it works fine for me on Ubuntu.

If you use Apple devices, it's called AirDrop and works surprisingly well. I use it a lot, between computers, phones, and ipads, within the family and sometimes with other people, too.

Just make sure your Mac's firewall is not blocking bluetooth.

Does local wifi count? I use KDE Connect for sending files over wifi and a bunch of other things.

You may also want to check Syncthing, which others have also recommended.


I love KDE Connect, particularly the run command function. I wrote a list of some useful commands in the kde userbase wiki [0] some time ago.

[0] https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_Connect/Tutorials/Useful_comman...


I just use iCloud Drive. Files on my desktop and in my documents folder get automatically synced to my phone and vice versa. It's extremely easy and painless. I often find myself on my phone, saving a file to my iCloud desktop, and finding the file on my desktop the next time I open the lid of my laptop.

>without going through the internet

Tangentially related - I've always thought it's dumb that I can't just plug my iPhone in to any PC and have it show up as a removable storage device.

I'm sure people who know more than me will give me a list of great reasons why it's not straightforward to implement...

But it doesn't change the fact that I have this incredible device (iPhone X) with 256gb of blindingly fast NAND flash storage, of which I am only utilizing 30gb, yet I still have to tote around a f*ing stupid little plastic USB dongle if I want to copy some files around.


> I'm sure people who know more than me will give me a list of great reasons why it's not straightforward to implement...

Nah, Android phones have done this forever, it's not technical difficulties stopping it from working. It's The Apple Way. They don't want you using your phone that way, or something.


Android phones don't do this anymore, for the technical reason that allowing a computer to mount a filesystem directly requires that the phone unmount it. Mass storage expects a block device, so there's no wrapper that one could provide that would make this work with the native filesystems of the phone.

What could be done is to dedicate a file on the phone as block storage, and expose that as a mass storage device. This would suffer from the same problem (of the phone not being able to access it at the same time), but if it's dedicated "flash drive emulation" space then perhaps this behavior won't be as surprising to the user.


Android phones show up as MTP devices, which are basically file-level storage instead of block-level storage. Most OS's (besides MacOS) will display this with the same interface as a USB mass storage device.

MTP is super buggy tho. Sometimes I can get it to work, sometimes I can't. Thought it was the fault of GNU/Linux on the desktop, but I've heard similar stories from Windows users. Most people I've spoken to are just annoyed about MTP.

As a possible explanation for this issue, I think that if you use the internet to share data, it's more likely that Google makes money from some of the interactions (either via ads in the app or via play store tax or idk because the service is hosted in GCP or whatever) than if you used an internet-free method, so Google doesn't prioritize bugfixes that would hurt their revenue. Edit: would love to be proven wrong though!


MTP is a horrible protocol which renders the abstraction very leaky in my experience, to the extent that it's inaccurate to refer to it as "removable storage" and expect to behave in similarly sane fashion to a proper flash drive. For example, there's no support for modifying a file in-place - the entire file must be read out, modified, and then written back. These kinds of restrictions render it slow and unreliable.

Wikipedia tells the sordid story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol#Compar...


> MTP is a horrible protocol which renders the abstraction very leaky in my experience

Nevertheless, it's still removable storage that can take the place of the most common use case of portable flash drives: moving files around from one computer to another. Which is explicitly what we were originally talking about.

Pointing out that it doesn't work for some other use case that you yourself brought up doesn't make any sense. That's not what everyone else was talking about.


I'm not going to debate you in three places at once, that's just obnoxious and clutters the thread.

Ultimately this is an argument about the precise semantics of "removable storage". I don't regard an MTP device as "removable storage" - it's another computer that one speaks to using a special protocol, with severe limitations. So is an iPhone - with special, protocol-speaking software, you can certainly put arbitrary files on it. I interpreted the parent to mean that they wanted to plug the phone in to "any PC" and have it Just Work. MTP isn't so great at that, especially from my perspective as a Linux user, where MTP support is no more built-in than iOS-protocol support. From this standpoint, "removable storage" == "USB mass storage".

On the other hand, it sounds like whatever Apple provides is much worse even than MTP, and less well supported in general.


> Ultimately this is an argument about the precise semantics of "removable storage". I don't regard an MTP device as "removable storage"

This is absurd. You don't get to tell someone, "you're wrong", then later when it's pointed out that the original assertion was actually true, then say, "oh, I meant that you're wrong as long as we're using my version of the word, the one that's very different from the one everyone else was using."

Sorry, but that's blatantly disingenuous. The original context was very clear. If you really meant, "well it sort of works as removable storage in one sense, but not in this other sense" you should've just said that to begin with.


Well, I'm sorry to have upset you, and I hope that the precise technical situation is now clear to anyone reading this thread.

> Android phones don't do this anymore

They don't? Since when? I still have a Pixel 1 but it's running Android P, so the latest major version of Android, and this still works fine.


> allowing a computer to mount a filesystem directly requires that the phone unmount it

I don't think that's true. My S8 storage is mounted and accessible from my computer right now while at the same time playing music from the same storage. I can still take pictures/write to the storage.


As mass storage, or MTP? The distinction is why I qualified with "mount a filesystem directly". MTP doesn't do that.

You said "Android phones don't do that anymore", "that" referring to "have it show up as a removable storage device".

Pointing out that the protocol used is leaky or bad in some technical way doesn't change that Android phones do in fact show up as removable storage devices when connected to (at least Windows) PC's. Your original assertion was incorrect.

samcday even said they just wanted to copy some files around. You don't need to be able to modify files in-place from the PC to accomplish this.


UMS (USB Mass Storage) is a protocol. MTP is a different protocol.

Android devices don't support UMS anymore.


Argh! I just went through this with a friend's iPhone when he asked spur of the moment to have a video on his iPhone displayed on some monitors for a presentation. The monitors are driven by a Win10 computer. My first thought was to transfer the file from the iPhone with Bluetooth to the computer, but apparently an iPhone can't be paired in that manner. So lame. The video was too big to email, so I used send.firefox.com and uploaded the video to it, and then downloaded the video to the computer. Thanks to the iPhone's protective wall that little stunt cost my friend 200MB of cellular data. The computer didn't have iTunes, and there was no Lightning cable available so direct hardwired transfer wasn't an option either.

Not having a cable is hardly the same issue, iPhones let you easily share images and videos but not all files.

Beyond AirDrop which only works between like devices, how else can files on an iPhone be transferred to another device without iTunes, and without using a 3rd party? I'm not being adversarial, I really want to know.

I’m a little confused, you don’t want to use 3rd party apps (like a Microsoft app to interact with nearby MS stuff) AND you don’t want to use Apple 1st party apps?

It sounds like the only thing that would’ve satisfied you would’ve been for iOS to natively understand whatever the Microsoft system is for broadcasting videos? I agree it would be delightful if Apple and Microsoft could agree on a “I’m a short term drop-point” “send to any nearby open drop-point” API, but the absence of this doesn’t seem likely to be either Microsoft’s or Apple’s fault.

The Apple way to do this would’ve been to send an iCloud email. Apple Mail would’ve uploaded the file to a server, and a short-lived link would’ve been created, to avoid SMTP size limits.

Pretty much exactly what you ended up doing but manually via Firefox Send.


I don't understand your confusion. What I would like to see is the iPhone to support the use of its native Bluetooth radio to connect to another device with a Bluetooth radio and implement the native Bluetooth file transfer protocol. Why would I want to use a 3rd party app/program which incurs a data charge to download, and possibly an account setup which means information leakage.

> The Apple way to do this would’ve been to send an iCloud email

Since iOS 12 they also have a "copy iCloud link" share option that gives you a Dropbox-style file download page.


> Nah, Android phones have done this forever

Your only option today is MTP on Android, and it stinks.

At one time, Android did support showing up as a mass storage device. I know when I first got a G1, then the phone I had after that - both you could plug in, and they appeared as a mass storage device. Just like a USB thumb drive.

I don't recall if you could use the file system at the same time on both sides; I doubt it, though. This was never a problem for me. It just worked - just like a thumb drive.

Then something changed; I don't recall which Android version, but they gradually phased out the phone appearing as a USB drive, and started to phase in MTP. I recall MTP being absolute POS on Linux, barely workable everywhere else, and where it did work, it was slow.

It's gotten better over the years on all platforms, but it still isn't anything like it should be.

My theory on why they switched was to keep people from easily side-loading APKs, and backing them up easily, etc. I think it was all part of the battle to keep people from really owning their phones, keep them from rooting them, etc. The ever and ongoing battle in which nobody really wins, everything is left as rubble, and the results are futile, because if they lock things down completely, the people that want things open will just leave to create their own devices, and they don't really gain much.

As an aside - that's a direction I've been thinking about pursuing. There are now some relatively cheap 4G modules out there, and some open-source "phone" operating systems for the Raspberry Pi and other embedded controllers (with varying levels of "working-ness"). I'm just getting tired of not really owning my own phone, and I want to do something about it.

My current phone is an S7 (TMobile version) - and they've made it hard as heck to actually root; it seems like every time they come out with a way to do it, Samsung/T-Mobile updates to prevent it. I'm just tired of the whole cat-mouse thing; I want things completely open, even if it means I have to write my own apps.


> My theory on why they switched was to keep people from easily side-loading APKs, and backing them up easily, etc. I think it was all part of the battle to keep people from really owning their phones, keep them from rooting them, etc.

Or, more realistically, by having file access mediated by the phone, you can:

* have the filesystem available to multiple systems at once. If it's mounted as USB mass storage then it must stop being visible to the phone itself. That's not great, especially if there are apps etc. there. To not have apps there, you'd need to partition. That sucks. So, also...

* you can use any filesystem you want. You're not restricted to things like VFAT. By not being USB mass storage, you can run BtrFS if you're so inclined and not have Windows get upset when you plug it in.

* the phone is able to restrict what is seen by the computer. This is a security benefit. I don't want someone slurping my TOTP key database because I foolishly leave my phone unlocked somewhere.

Also, you can still root phones just fine if you buy one that isn't user-hostile.

So, there are solid technical reasons for the change that make things better for a large number of users (who, amongst your average user these days, really wants to plug their phone in to the computer to move files around? I'd estimate vanishingly few.)

> My current phone is an S7 (TMobile version) - and they've made it hard as heck to actually root; it seems like every time they come out with a way to do it, Samsung/T-Mobile updates to prevent it.

Well of course they do. a) they are use hostile, so they don't give you a path. b) because there's no official path, any method that does exist must be a security vulnerability. Do you want to have a vulnerable device?

Don't buy user hostile stuff and then complain that it doesn't let you do what you want.


> My theory on why they switched was to keep people from easily side-loading APKs, and backing them up easily, etc.

I bet it was simply to prevent having to implement FAT32 or some feature related to FAT and pay royalties to MS for that, like long filename support or similar.


Android and iOS user. I"m not defending it per say because the frustration of a real shell existing (I've jailbroken iOS and used it) but no access to it is real.

The argument from apple is even if you put a warning label on on a setting "allow filesystem access over SSH" for example, if you give users unmanaged file or other systems access, it will be exploited and in reality, what most users (or at least my mother and father) want is to just use their phone and never think about it.

It's fair not to like it and it may be wrong, but to imply that apple did it just to frustrate power users is either misinformed or dishonest.

Lastly there's a cool ios project https://github.com/tbodt/ish that gives you an emulated shell. Works pretty well.


this is an artificial apple restriction. other vendors allow you to do exactly this

Other vendors used to allow you to do this back when internal storage was vfat formatted but it's not been an option these days because Windows and Macs wouldn't have the file system drivers to read the storage.

This is why MTP was created. However MTP is - in my experience - complete garbage and creates as many problems as it solves.


Mounting MTP is transparent to the user on non-apple OSes as well. You can drag and drop files as you could when it was when mounting the VFAT block device. Its only on MacOS that this isn't handled gracefully.

So yeah, apple is only mobile you cant do this on at all, and apple is only desktop OS you cant access other phones that permit it on (without installing some 3rd party tool).

As an aside, I write this as an apple user (iphone, ipad, watch, macbook pro), and Im feeling quite infuriated thinking back on this.


I've used MTP and my experience is it that it leaves a lot to be desired regardless of the platform. My wife's Samsung phone never worked right with her Windows 7 laptop. Neither my Huawei nor the HTC handset I had before worked properly with any of my Linux machines either.

I get the point of MTP is that is't supposed to be a transparent (to the user) interface but my experience is it falls short by a long way of achieving this in practice.


Yeah, I agree - MTP is abominable on every device Ive used too.

I regularly do this to offload pictures and movies. I have even used my iPhone as a large USB drive.

But, they don’t let you access to full file system for some reason.


How do you do this on your iPhone? I, and others, are of the opinion that this cant be done.

Access to images and videos is read-only. So it can't be used like a USB drive.

Unrestricted access would probably mean that someone could take your phone and access your data.

Instead, there are these 3 ways to share files between your phone and other machines: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301


Apple used to let you do this exactly with the iPod.

Besides AirDrop there is "Copy and Paste across devices" https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25168?locale=en_US

Does that transfer the data over iCloud (via the internet), or over Bluetooth and local WiFi? The page is kind of ambiguous since it mentions all 3.

> copy text, images, photos, and videos on one Apple device and then paste the content on another Apple device

So not so much for my Linux box or my Android phone, then. As usual with Apple's shiny crap it "all just works" as long as you're only playing inside the walled tarpit.


SMB over local network would be my default, I recall an app for using SMB with Android back as far as the 2.x days.

We have tons of protocols for transferring files over networks, there's no reason for them to go to the public Internet, nor for them to be mobile phone specific.



In the Apple ecosystem, there's AirDrop which uses either Bluetooth or Wifi. You can quickly share files between any iOS and Mac devices very simply.

AirDroid is pretty handy on Android; file transfer, browsing your phone's files/images, sending SMS from your desktop browser (although Messages now does that native) etc. Much to my surprise, there's also an iOS version - https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1194539178

There is. It's called dukto (http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11), and works on mac, linux, windows and android. It will use zeroconf to automatically find all duktos on the local network, and let you send stuff to them in a blink.

Proprietary but free as in beer.


Dukto is great!

You didn't say whether you are on iOS or Android, but if you are on iOS airdrop works very well.

It does - just so long as you and anyone else you might want to share with are paid up into the Apple walled garden.

I do have an iPhone and I love AirDrop for sharing photos with the few friends who also have an iPhone but it's not even an option for me with a Linux laptop.


You might be interested in KDE Connect, which provides (among other things) essentially a thin wrapper around SSHFS. It's the most convenient method of computer<->phone transfer I've found.

What I'd like to see is an app that runs a webserver on my phone to share a slideshow of pictures or videos to a browser on the lan. I haven't found this and I'm thinking about writing one.

Try resilio sync, uses lan or Internet depending on what is available. Sync the images folder with your computer with a few clicks.

This runs the web server on a computer, but allows two-way file transfer from phones: https://github.com/claudiodangelis/qr-filetransfer

Check out https://github.com/claudiodangelis/qr-filetransfer for computers and phones on the same LAN.

Works great, and I'm planning on integrating that functionality into my project which transfers files between laptops using only wireless cards, no LAN required. https://github.com/spieglt/flyingcarpet


"I can't believe that there isn't a simple service to transfer data between my cellphone and my computer without going through the internet."

The correct way to do this is to configure your phone to emulate USB mass storage and then connect with a USB cable.

Your phone looks like a thumb drive. It's the easiest workflow in the world.

Unfortunately, this workflow is off limits because of some licensing requirement from MS for fat32 (or something) which is why neither android nor ios has this very basic, simple feature.


I use Syncthing, personally. It usually works pretty great, the only real issues I've seen are with locked down internet connections (the sort which also seem to meter or block VPNs).

I often first try MTP and when it is acting up again, I'm using adb pull / adb push to do it. Once set up, adb turns on automatically and all you need to do is to invoke the commands on the computer. If USB is unavailable, adb works via the network as well, provided the phone's IP is reachable. However, you need to know the ip address. The only problem really is figuring out the paths, but at least it works and overall I'm wasting less time than with MTP usage.

I seem to remember that there was an app on android that allowed you to access your files via a webserver you could turn off and on. I used that a lot before I got nextcloud.

I'm a bit confused, in what sense is accessing an SSH server not going through the internet? Was the phone connected to the same LAN as the desktop via Wifi?

That was my assumption.

Your comment took me a little by surprise actually because there's no actual need for the internet in SSH and in fact I probably do 90% of my SSHing on local networks. But I guess your usage differs significantly?


For desktops, yes, but my default assumption for a phone is that it's on a mobile network

I don't think that is a fair assumption because it's very common for people to set up WiFi on their phone. In fact you'll often find some platforms will not download OS updates or warn you against downloading larger "apps" when not connected via WiFi.

A mobile network is still mostly a fallback "if there's nothing better available", and IIRC all current smartphones prefer a WiFi link over a mobile one (if one is up). Perhaps with 5G, we might get to the point where WiFi is too much hassle to set up...

That's the usual arrangement, yes: phone - WiFi AP - ethernet switch - desktop; no internet needed. SSH is not some only-works-in-the-cloud magic, just a TCP/IP service; as long as you can access the server, it is cloud-agnostic.

I do use this arrangement with split DNS: inside the local LAN, the desktop's DNS resolves to the desktop directly; outside, it resolves to the gateway's external port, whence it's NATed to the desktop. SSH from anywhere :)


When pushing files from phone to computer, I setup my Pixel to use AndFTP. The ubiquitous "Share" button offers AndFTP as an option and lists preconfigured destination SSH servers. I upload photos this way to a distinct account (which gets scooped up later by a more privileged script).

What I'm really looking for is a Share button enabled app that can POST arbitrary files to a customizable URL.


Syncthing is fantastic for this (and file transfers between computers over LAN and/or internet), unless you happen to have an iOS phone.

It's because the whole app ecosystem is proprietary and the open source packages aren't as polished. I remember when it was a huge pain to use Bonjour.

It seems like this should be a solved problem but maybe it takes a Mozilla or some other larger entity to push the marketing and the customer support and development to really solve the problem of transferring large files securely.


I'm on Android, and Syncthing is pretty seamless once configured. I just configure my cellphone, my laptop and my desktop to sync a specific directory in both directions.

It's decentralized, end-to-end encrypted and does local discovery of devices on a LAN so it will also works offline.

As long as one device lives and is synced, I have a copy of the files.


There are plenty of cross-platform local file transfer tools available but they all require manual setup and some knowledge of networking. If "without going through the internet" is a requirement, I don't think an easier and secure tool could be made better than what's already available.

What about Dukto [0]?

IMO if something doesn't require the internet connection, it is more likely to be called "software", not a "service".

[0] http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11


You can literally do that; termux will run sshd quite happily. I'm pretty sure there are sftp servers in the app store as well, but I don't really trust them.

I run the reverse; my laptop runs sshd and then I ssh/scp/rsync from termux on my phone. But either way works.


On iOS having a file manager web server is a common workaround, some apps like VLC even have their own. The only issue is that the server stops if you switch apps. There's also iMazing which uses the iTunes protocol and is pretty good, but unfortunately is paid.

With macOS and iOS, Airdrop, as others have stated. For other platform combinations, there is NitroShare[1] which works in almost the same way.

[1]: https://nitroshare.net


SimpleSSHD is a simple ad-free open-source SSH server for your Android phone (available on Google Play). It's very useful. It only supports public-key based authentication, so you can't use a password, however.

> It only supports public-key based authentication, so you can't use a password, however.

If there's any chance of this thing being exposed to a public network (like, say, a cell network), I'd say that's a very good thing!


termux + woof

woof -i <ip_address> -p <port> <filename>

termux: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux&hl=....

woof: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/woof.html

Edit:

1. Allows directory upload/download (tar/gzip/bzip2 compressed)

2. Local file server (doesn't go over the internet)

3. Allows upload form (-U option)

4. Allows file to be served <count> number of times (-c option)


To add to the options (for Android phones):

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.primftpd/


You run a simple HTTP server on your computer, then download your files over Wi-Fi using your phone's browser. Works nicely.

    cd my/directory && python3 -m http.server 80

There are a few around...I use File Explorer which can actually start an FTP server from my phone (iPhone) that my PC can connect to over LAN. It also can be a client to a remote FTP/file share.

Plugging in a USB cable still works fine. I think the problem is if its too easy then people will be copying files off of each others phones without permission.

> Plugging in a USB cable still works fine.

That uses MTP which the OP already discounted as being "a mess". Frankly my experience matches his and thus I actively avoid MTP whenever I can.

> I think the problem is if its too easy then people will be copying files off of each others phones without permission.

You usually need to unlock the phone to use MTP. If an attacker has access to unlock your phone then it makes no difference if they copying the files via USB, Dropbox, email or whatever - your attacker already has the permission they need to do so.


You can try WebTorrent (P2P) based solutions, maybe https://btorrent.xyz could help.


there is https://snapdrop.net/ but it didnt work for me

KDE connect?

Airdroid

Dozens of responses, and not one mention of Dropbox. Works perfectly for this exact purpose on Android.

You missed the "without going through the internet" part.

It does have a LAN sync mode...but it's supplemental at best. Plus, the clients need to bootstrap and authorize through the Internet first.



Applications are open for YC Summer 2019

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: