May I recommend an alternative bang? "!s" (for startpage.com) is my companion.
It doesn't always work perfectly, but in theory  Startpage offers the same (edit: non-bubbled) results as big G, while retaining your privacy.
!s usually works for me. I always use !s before begrudgingly doing a !g. I have no other affiliation to Startpage or DDG. And to be fair, I think we have to simply accept Startpage's assertion that they preserve your privacy.
I'd be interested in more concrete reasons to use DDG over Startpage. First thing that comes to my mind is that with Startpage, Google still "reads" your search queries, which might leak info. What else?
1) I came to like DDG's grouping of results by site. See a result and think that page's site might have more results? Click the favicon.
2) DDG is faster now than it was a few years ago. (At least it seems that way, for me and the things I typically search for).
3) Extensive bang shortcuts: https://duckduckgo.com/bang
4) Different, non-personalized search bubble. I like the idea of non-monocultures, which I guess extends to my search results.
-1) Some time ago DDG changed to requiring the same stupid quoting behavior Big G began mandating for required search terms, replacing +.
5) might come in handy, if you're a keyboard person: you can use cursor down/up to scroll through the search results, and Return to select (go to) one.