- There is not evidence that these devices record and transmit without an activation word triggering this behavior
- However, there is nothing to stop companies from breaking this assumption
- Some people think the risk of one of these companies flipping a switch and recording everything is negligible
- Some people think the risk of one of these companies flipping a switch and recording everything is warrants serious concern
- These two groups will not agree, and that's fine :)
The advantage of a stationary device is you don't have to charge it. It is always connected.
The disadvantage is you don't have to charge it. It is always connected so the engineers don't have to make trade offs they'd have to make on a battery operated phone.
I was running into issues with my phone’s alarm not being loud enough (either off or in a pocket, wrong room, etc) — with the Home, its always there.
The other ‘smart’ features are handy, but I’m not using those very much. When the price is right I will get some lights, though.
Does everybody need one of these? No. Is it any better than a phone? Yes, only because it’s exactly where I want it at all times.