Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

Having looked into compensation law in the US, my understanding (I’m not a lawyer but play one on HN) is that housing accommodations are generally considered taxable income. However, the way you’re describing it means it could work. They would need to live in your house, and also work in your house with you. They would accept that arrangement in your hiring docs. You would need to be able to demonstrate benefit by having them live on the property.

I think this gets tricky if you live and work in two different areas, so it’s probably best suited for remote work or new projects.

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact