When it has been reviewed merged into the mainline linux kernel, then it can be considered stable.

AFAIK Jason does use wireguard for himself now, but is cautious to recommend that to everyone.

The last submission to the linux kernel is here: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1808.3/00619.html

While merging wireguard should not be a problem, its own crypto library called 'zinc' has bigger open points of discussion.

>AFAIK Jason does use wireguard for himself now, but is cautious to recommend that to everyone.

For me this means he's appropriately cautious for working in security-minded applications like this. A lot of VPN providers would probably release something like an alpha release.

Merging into mainline doesn't mean things are stable. There's a few experimental options available when compiling the kernel.

Btrfs has been in the kernel for years.

I'm not sure if this was meant as a jab or accurate, but btrfs is a good example. The core of it is stable, but there are a few features which are unstable/experimental, yet still included.

Registration is open for Startup School 2019. Classes start July 22nd.