Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

If your GP can't offer you a referral, honestly the best you can really do is just pick a psychiatrist or psychologist nearby who accepts your insurance. Either can diagnose you if there is something to be diagnosed. Both can offer therapy, only psychiatrists can proscribe medication.

If you end up doing therapy and don't feel like it's working with that professional after a few sessions, they should be able to refer you to other psych* or therapists. In this case there's no hard feelings, most psych professionals will be the first to tell you that not all patients will click with all therapists.

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact