Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login
Linus Torvalds on aliasing (yodaiken.com)
150 points by r4um 4 months ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 268 comments



I would go out of my way to avoid people who communicate like this with me. People put time and energy in making software better, at least in their own eyes, for others and then they get textually abused like this by someone who has his fame to protect himself with.

He also does no service to his own arguments by peppering them with childish swearing because things like "So standards are not some kind of holy book that has to be revered. Standards too need to be questioned." can't be said enough to some people in the industry.

If his reply were written with more tact and less swearing it would be a lot more powerful. We as an industry should demand this of each other, but also of our 'celebrity' colleagues.


When it comes to being oversensitive needy little things there is no true Scottsman.

As a northern European I find it not only comfortable that Linus runs Linux, but I would be less comfortable if it was another American smile in face pretend to be your friend but be shady as fuck attitude that you guys seem to confuse for 'professionalism'.

So let's chalk this to cultural differences. We wouldn't hire someone like you and you wouldn't hire someone like him.


What nonsense. I am Dutch and live in the Netherlands, we are very direct and take little to no heed to hierarchy.

I never said that Linus should be fake friendly. I am saying that swearing does damage to moral and the power of his arguments.

Also, Steve Jobs was a notorious asshole and he is revered in the US despite this. There are countless other examples of CEOs and managers who are more than unfriendly in the US who are looked at as examples of how one should behave to be 'professional'.

Your being 'northern European' has nothing to do with any of what we are talking about. Maybe you can chalk your reaction to your apparent false sense of superiority over friendliness and, it seems, Americans.


Swearing doesn't damage morale. Many soccer coaches and inspiring pep talks contain swear words. It's a style figure.

Tact can be very usefull in small teams where trust and coordination is important.

For large projects, with thousands of stake holders the bar to participate in a conversation should be high.

As we both say in Holland: we are not made of sugar. But go read Linus rant now and ask yourself: would this really classify as an inappropriate rant in Holland? Or are you just, parroting the default (mostly from the US) critique on Linus?

Because this whole 'Linus isn't tactfull' is a false comparision. He is more approachable than any other person in that sort of position. Since there isn't a big filter at the door based on who somebody is but there is a verbal filter at the table. Very egalitarian if you ask me. Very Dutch like.

And our directness is often referred to as rude. It would look better on you to not blindly follow in that judgement when it concerns others.

For example: >Maybe you can chalk your reaction to your apparent false sense of superiority over friendliness and, it seems, Americans

If out of the mouth of Linus would be one of those 'look at how insensitive Linus is' posts. Something with the pot and the kettle.


Swearing in general doesn't damage morale, but swearing at and verbally abusing someone does very much so. That's exactly the kind of treatment that would lead me, if I were a developer, to walk away from the project.

In fact, here's an edit which gets his point over in less words, and more clearly:

"Honestly, this looks questionable to me. [U]sing a union to do type punning is the traditional AND STANDARD way to do type punning in gcc. In fact, it is the documented way to do it for gcc. The fact is that gcc documents type punning through unions as the "right way". You may disagree with that, but using the [C] standard to push it - the same standard that came up with the completely mis-guided aliasing rules - is not a valid argument. his is why we use -fwrapv, -fno-strict-aliasing etc. The standard simply is not important, when it is in direct conflict with reality and reliable code generation.

So what's the _real_ reason for avoiding union aliasing?"

No swearing, no abuse, all points covered, less typing required. No talk of splinters.


And that's the reason PR exists. To translate text written by "knowledgeable person, who writes in not acceptable to everyone language" into "language acceptable to everyone". This also leads to no more direct contact between public and those people and the eternal cries of "we only get PR speak!!"

The chances that you get to hear things from the source and never hear things in a way you don't like is almost zero. You have to make a decision.


PR gives things a nicer wording, but they also push unjustified implications and flat-out lies. When people object to PR-speak, it's usually the latter. Or that an apology doesn't seem to actually be sorry or trying to fix anything. They're rarely objecting that the language is a bit less harsh.


Which part of my abridged version missed vital technical details or changed the fundamental meaning of what Linus said? It's not PR speak, it's treating others with dignity. Linus seems to think that isn't important. He'll be programming the Linux kernel with only AI for companions at this rate.


I didn't say people can't confront each other or even swear at each other. My point is that Linus is swearing at someone who made a contribution to a project. What sense is there in saying the following to people other than signifying that you don't respect them:

"...when you are a f*cking moron" "Andy, what is the background for trying to push this idiocy?"

Note that I only called the other swearing in his text childish and not damaging to morale. Also note that in verbal discussions I wouldn't myself shy away from swearing or graphic metaphors. I just think that when replying to pull-requests there should be some emotional self-control... something which children have less of.

> Something with the pot and the kettle.

As I said, confronting people isn't on some list of don'ts that I keep and replying to comments filled with false assumptions and accusations is not the same as replying to a pull-request.

>would this really classify as an inappropriate rant in Holland?

If I were to call my colleagues fucking morons and call their contributions idiocies I would probably at least receive some negative feedback from my boss. So yes. I find it hard to believe that calling people 'fucking morons' is an accepted practice at your job.

> And our directness is often referred to as rude. It would look better on you to not blindly follow in that judgement when it concerns others.

But blindly following some judgement of Americans being two-faced liars does look good on you? Something with pots and kettles?


I don't believe that you've had to argue this far to defend your point. Treating others as you would like to be treated is the golden rule of society.

When I play games like Rocket League, a game where you depend on your teammates, I rarely say anything if people play badly. Others will say things to me if I play badly and that sometimes makes me play even worse depending on my mood. Sometimes I play worse because they actually made me care less and sometimes I play worse on purpose because they were a real asshole and they deserve a loss.

It's pretty obvious that antagonizing and disparaging your teammates is generally a bad plan anywhere.


I probably didn't, but sometimes doing so helps you come to deeper conclusions and a better understanding of your own points.

My feeling is that people who need to be abusive of others are compensating some of their feelings about themselves. I think everybody does this though, I am no angel myself either. I just thought that people who are highly visible and in some way represent our industry, like Linus, should not be praised for being 'bad ass' when they are needlessly rude to people who are contributing. On a whole though, anyone can do what they want, and I can form an opinion based on what people do of course ;)

Yes, haha, Rocket League teammates sometimes don't excel at being good sports.


> As a northern European I find it not only comfortable that Linus runs Linux, but I would be less comfortable if it was another American smile in face pretend to be your friend but be shady as fuck attitude that you guys seem to confuse for 'professionalism'.

This is a false dichotomy.

Most of what Linus says would run foul of HN's guidelines - which I'll paraphrase here as "don't call someone an asshole before making your real point", but that doesn't mean that everyone on HN is a 'smile in face pretend to be your friend but be shady as fuck'.


> Most of what Linus says would run foul of HN's guidelines

Keep in mind that you're much more likely to see it when he explodes at someone, because that's more entertaining to read. Most of what he writes in the ordinary work of building a kernel is unobjectionable.


When somebody speaks their mind, everybody around them knows where they stand.

I doubt there is difference between about how often people resent other people around the world. But I do consider it more humane if resentment isn't hidden under the surface. It's easier to trust Linus than a tactfull politician. That should make us all think.


> It's easier to trust Linus than a tactfull politician. That should make us all think.

I can kinda see where you're going with this, ie. the idea that knowing what someone is thinking means you can trust them... but I disagree.

To my mind verbal abuse doesn't mean they're speaking their mind, it means they've lost control.

Based on these blow-ups I'd certainly question trusting Torvalds in any high stakes situation that required tact under pressure... which I would expect to happen frequently when running a country.


> I'd certainly question trusting Torvalds in any high stakes situation that required tact under pressure...

Huh? When are kernel developers in high stakes situations that require tact? He doesn't host peace talks for a living. He manages Linux. He needs to be trusted for high stakes situations requiring technical clarity and technical decision making. And between our phones, our internet services and our banking infrastructure, basically everybody in modern society depends on the linux kernel working correctly.

> To my mind verbal abuse doesn't mean they're speaking their mind, it means they've lost control.

What? I just don't see it that way at all. If he'd lost control the criticism would be less technically grounded, and he wouldn't have merged the patch anyway. To me, Torvald's temper clearly expresses the value of "make the kernel good, don't make it be bad". Blowing up like this is an expensive social signal - it shows that to him the kernel being good is so important that he's willing to risk losing face and support to do so. I agree with other commenters that there are probably better ways he could get his point across; but how he expresses himself is completely authentic and aligned with his value of technical competence.

And that buys a lot of trust in my eyes.

And I don't think its just me. Trump does the same thing, and I suspect the "I can trust him because he gets angry" vibe helped him get elected. (For better or worse.)


> Huh? When are kernel developers in high stakes situations that require tact?

Parent commenter made a comparison between Torvalds and politicians. I was exploring that comparison.

> If he'd lost control the criticism would be less technically grounded, and he wouldn't have merged the patch anyway.

Losing control in one way doesn't mean losing control in all ways. Saying someone has "lost control" doesn't automatically mean that they've shat themselves, for example.


One circumstance where insults might be justified is where one party has ignored valid objections to his position.

I mention this here because kristianic made the valid point that you have set up a false dichotomy, and you replied with a statement that keeps it going. Is the habit of not paying attention to the actual issues also part of your superior Northern European culture, and, in fact, is it perhaps a reason why insults are apparently such an important part of it?


I see someone chose to down-vote without commenting - presumably not one of those self-described straight-talking Northern Europeans?


Having lived in Europe for two years now, that’s a very common perception of US Americans


You'd be surprised to see how many comments are removed from HN by the mods each day. What you see here is not what HN users actually are.


I have dead comments turned on and it’s not too bad. Unless they have a super-delete power the ratio isn’t bad at all.


I have showdead on, it's really not that bad.


He didn't call anyone an asshole. His insults were reserved for the arguments and the standard itself.


Do you feel that your views are cultural and not unique to yourself? Maybe I should look into moving because I am tired of smiling dummies.

That being said, I feel that if I were in a managerial position here in the Bay Area I would probably adopt a smile and softer language because that's what people are used to. The challenge is being genuine while putting people at ease so that they can do their best work.


Northern European checking in here. I feel super uncomfortable with this communication style. Don't think this is reflective of cultural differences, so much as it is personal preference.


If only us silly Americans talked so "honestly" with our wives:

"Why did you cook this? Are you fucking stupid?"

I'm in the military, and if you can't control what you say, you shouldn't be respected.


In military terms Linus is the president of his world (the Linux kernel).

In the military with all the hierarchy this wouldn't happen because no small private would be arrogant enough to throw their opinion in the top generals and president face without being asked.

The whole point of the rudeness is that it does give space for people to voice their opinion irregardless of their rank. Only at the risk of being somewhat insulted.


The point is that swearing is not equal to honesty. It's just additional emotional metadata.


[flagged]


When did we start equating swearing with honesty? It would be strange to hear a prosecutor tell a witness, "You're not swearing - I need you to stop lying".

If anything, swearing clouds what you really mean. "Is he saying 'fuck' because he thinks the policy was unfairly applied, or because it was misunderstood? I don't know bro, but at least he's being honest".


This is not aimed at you specifically, but I find this decorum policing off punting. Like the U.S. military may be able to control what they say, but some of the things it has actually done are less than nice.

I don't care that Linus swears, he hasn't invaded anyone or harmed anyone as far as I know. I don't care that Trump swears, I care about the stupid stuff he actually does.

Linus may swear, but he also protects us from bad code and I value that, because in the end, words don't do anything, actions do.


I didn't bring the military up to say that it's an authority on proper conduct.

Rather, I'm saying that EVEN in the military, with some of the most insensitive people around, swearing indicates lack of self-control and situational awareness.


Sure, swearing may indicate lack of self-control, but the lack of swearing does not indicate self-control, nor does the presence of swearing indicate lack of self-control.

I once saw a doc about the alarming levels of rape in the U.S. military. Some of these guys were pretty high rank, so I guess they fooled everyone that they possessed self-control, (perhaps they didn't swear), but in reality they clearly lacked self-control. I only bring up this example to explain my point, I know there are many officers who don't swear and don't lack self-control, but my point is that the lack of swearing doesn't really prove anything, nor does the presence of swearing.


This may be getting into semantics, but isn't it entirely possible that we have a class of military rapists engaging in rape as a very deliberate and controlled form of power play? Their superior self-control put into wicked use?


You haven't spent much time with the military have you? Swearing is a delicate and beautiful art form, more expressive and nuanced that the dry words of HN.


Eight years, which included serving as a PSG then joining the dark side.

Obviously swearing is a big thing, but not when leading. You'll have exceptions with some of the line units of course, but that's a culture that won't change.

If I saw one of my squad leaders cursing at someone for doing something dumb, then I'd know that supposed leader just failed that Soldier. At ease those emotions, get your point across, and hold them accountable. If you can't do that without throwing a hissy fit, take off those stripes.


There is a difference between swearing and having, as you put it, a hissy fit. Not all swearing is demeaning behaviour, and plenty of people lose their shit without swearing (oops I said shit).


As another Northern European I disassociate myself from your comment.

Yes, there are cultural differences between the US and Europe.

No, that doesn't mean that Europe agrees with your opinion on what constitutes acceptable behaviour in the software community. You do not speak for us.


I dunno, man, I grew up in the states and moved to Northern Europe, and I definitely see what he means.

It's quite refreshing, even.


There is no true Northern European.


There's an honest scottsman though. Ha.

I'm sure the difference is due to lattitude. A little bit of getting heated is ill advised in the scorching sun.


While Linus may be right, why is it that we always find only "Linus ranting out against people" threads that trend? In a positive way, why don't we have "Linus gets ranted against" posts? Is it because Linus is always right? Or is it because nobody speaks up against Linus? Or is it because Linus isn't actively coding much since git days? Or is it just because it happens but doesn't get as much visibility?

I'm just asking this to see if this culture is one way or goes both ways...


Since even the people complaining about it are eating it up like donuts. They just don't want to admit it turns them on.

The honest reaction to any post like this is to just report it because the only entertainment factor is the drama.


>I'm just asking this to see if this culture is one way or goes both ways...

That won't tell you anything about LKML culture, either.

If you want a better sense of lkml than social media hot takes can deliver, go lurk it for a month.


Cultural differences? Look, we're not famous for our hospitality up here, but we are polite.


by someone who has his fame to protect himself with.

He never needed any protection; Linus always wrote like this. Back in the argument with Tanenbaum in '92, when he was a nobody, he already wrote stuff like "your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse for some of the brain-damages of minix. I can only hope (and assume) that Amoeba doesn't suck like minix does."


So he got his start by being toxic toward what has become the most-deployed OS in the world.

https://mobile.linuxtoday.com/security/minix-the-most-popula...


Linus has answered that question about the way he communicates.

His idea is that he wants to make his feelings as clear as possible. He mentioned a case where some guy attempted suicide after working months on a kernel patch that he rejected. He blames himself for not being clear enough about what he felt about the idea before work has started.

When you say "People put time and energy in making software better, at least in their own eyes, for others and then they get textually abused". That's actually the whole point. Linus doesn't want you to put time and energy in what he perceives as a lost cause.

Not saying that what he does is good or bad, just saying what I think his rationale for using harsh language is.


My wife works in mental health, dealing with people at the very lowest ebb. You'd think the therapists' internal meetings would be full of carefully worded and graded polite discussion, but just yesterday she told me about a meeting where the lead therapist said to one particular member of the group, 'If you don't do X right, we're fucked. You are fucking us up!'

I don't know if that's good or not, but it's not just in software that harsh words are used. And their stridency makes clear that this is an exceptionally significant point. I imagine that Linus's many more blandly worded emails don't result in this level of attention, so you wouldn't even be aware of his points there.


Presumably your wife is dealing with complex issues where there are real conflicts that require real words, unlike this situation. This is a non-conflict that Torvalds turned into one.

In this case, Torvalds is swearing at someone who agrees with him (see Andy Shevchenko's response) because he hasn't bothered to seek clarification before calling it "pure and utter garbage".


I think people's ideas of what's a real conflict can vary. I don't know what Linus's motivation was, probably you know better than me. Is it possible he's trying to engender a culture where Andy pushes back harder on these rationales, rather than just being polite? Quoting Andy:

   Yeah, there were few reasons why I decide to make that patch (OK, it seems I staked on not the best reason).


If Torvalds is trying to engender a culture by being the only one swearing then I'd be very curious where he learned that technique and how he was measuring its success over the many years he's exhibited that behaviour. Occam's Razor suggests that the more likely cause is that he's just an angry man who can't (or doesn't want to) moderate his behaviour.

I don't want to assume too much about your wife's job or personality, but I'd also assume she would swear in a way that was reciprocal with those under therapy, based on a communication style they had established together... as opposed to her swearing at them while they were being perfectly polite.


I was explicitly not talking about the therapy, but the management of the therapy. That's a key distinction here.


In what way? Sorry, not sure what point you're making here.


Can the maintenance of the Linux kernel be considered a success?


Your implication, that this aspect of Torvalds' interpersonal style is vindicated by Linux' success, is a classic Halo effect. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.


I'm answering your question: maybe that's how he measures its success.


So your suggestion here is that Torvalds has some monthly 'Linux success' metrics and varies the amount and style of swearing based on those.

It'd certainly make a good sitcom.


Still, in your quote the emphasis was on the deed, not the person. "You are doing this wrong" <-- the deed

"we're fucked" <-- feared consequence

"You are fucking us up!" <-- your actions are harming the group.

Not "you are a fuck" and no shunning from the group.

I don't care for the tone, and all the dark patterns could be there too in the meeting, but your single quote on its own is not evidence of dysfunction.


I am not against swearing and I do it as well. I find swearing at people who contribute to code off putting though.


I don't see him swearing at people. I see him swearing at the contribution - at least in this example. There are many instances of him swearing at people and I think he does himself and Linux in general a disservice, but that one? I fail to see the problem.


I can't stand when you're expected to wrap every sentence in some sugar coated fake 'niceness' just to not step on somebody's toes. If I have a certain way of expressing myself... Well that's how it is.


It doesn't have to be about sugar coating. Just try to take some of the emotions out of the conversation and stick to stating the facts, and you can easily come across as much less offensive.


>> If I have a certain way of expressing myself... Well that's how it is.

You shouldn't sell yourself short. Changing the way you communicate is a huge but worthwhile challenge.

In a different time, I would have been mean to you over your comment instead of offering supportive words. It took as much effort to be nice as it used to take to be mean.


I hope I can add a “me too” without stepping on the rules too much. In truth I’m still learning but it’s been worth it.


I didn't say that he should write:

'Hey, great that you took the time to contribute, here are a few suggestions though.'

I am talking about things like: 'If you think xyz, then you are a fucking moron'.


Linus T. would probably be shadow banned if he commented here under a pseudonym... HN's moderation is a little extreme.


It's not constructive, but at least explicitly so. Avoiding swear words wouldn't change the fact, rather the insult would creep hidden in fluff.

The constructive part, not destructive, is in the alternatives proposed. So, plus minus zero in my mind, the emotional aspect is just a grab for attention, and ...


To me, this rant seems more directed at C standards people than the guy he sent it to. That doesn't excuse his vitriol, but I hope people will read between the lines.

Sometimes people forget that C was created for writing operating systems. They get in their mind that C is all about high-performance, and that making it competitive with FORTRAN is the way to go. I understand that, but it's not what C was created for. If the world's most famous C programmer and OS guru wants to have strong opinions on the direction of the language, I say allow it.


>C was created for writing operating systems

That doesn't properly justify C's minefield around aliasing and type punning in general. It's UB galore. Thing is, whenever you're writing low level code that's tied to hardware in my experience you very often end up having to pun your types to match hardware constraints, and at this point the C standard basically says "lol good luck with that bro".

I'm not a programming language expert but IMO at the very least C should make reading from a different union member than was last written to "implementation defined" instead of UB (with suitable constraints if the sizes of the members differ I suppose). In effect that's mostly how compilers deal with that anyway.

So I agree with Linus that the C standard is really unhelpful in these situation, although his childish anger is unnecessary and counter-productive.


Maybe I suck at reading the standard, but it seems that type punning via unions is defined in C99:

"If the member used to access the contents of a union object is not the same as the member last used to store a value in the object, the appropriate part of the object representation of the value is reinterpreted as an object representation in the new type as described in 6.2.6 (a process sometimes called "type punning")."


> childish anger

The whole world needs betrization soonest ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_from_the_Stars )


>at the very least C should make reading from a different union member than was last written to "implementation defined"

That's how it is :) The standard even describes union behavior as "type punning".

I don't know if C++ allows it though.


Don’t think c++ allows it. Last time I checked, if you use any modern compiler, and do a memcpy, and check the assembly, it does the right thing.


Yes, that's the "approved" way of doing type punning. Any decent compiler will immediately optimize that down to nothing.


Type punning through a union is allowed, buy you have to be careful so the compiler can see the union.

union { int i; float f; } u;

You can't safely call a function with pointers to the members like func(&u.i, &u.f), because when func was compiled, the compiler couldn't know that the arguments are pointers to union members.

This sort of thing scares me, because what the compiler can "see" isn't well defined. Is it ok if func is in the same file? Probably not. How about if I don't send the pointers to an other function and just use them locally? Probably ok, but I wouldn't trust it. If you want to type pun with a union, make sure to always access the members through the union, not with direct pointers.

The only method of type punning I 100% trust is memcpy, and if you get lucky the compiler might optimize away the overhead for you.


Assuming we're talking C, not C++, the compiler doesn't need to know that the arguments are pointers to union members, because the union members are all aligned with the union itself and have the same address. So &u.f is not some magic special pointer, it's the address of a float. So is (float *)&u. The example in the standard I think you're referring to relates to a special guarantee made about unions of structs that have a common initial sequence, that their common initial sequence can be read from either union member (AFAIK a guarantee not otherwise made about structs that share a common initial sequence).

If your func(&u.i &u.f) example fails it may be because the standard is picky about pointers of different types to the same memory. I have no idea whether it is, because I've never had to do anything like your example.


The compiler and standard are both full of contradictory, useless, and counter-productive rules on aliasing. But both gcc and clang now support _may_alias_ and -fno-strict-aliasing without which they would have made the language completely unusable.


The func can be implemented like this:

    float func(int *i, float *f) {
      *i = 42;
      return *f;
    }
Since the compiler assumes that the pointers i and f do not alias, it has a right to generate the code that is equivalent to:

    float func(int *i, float *f) {
      float result = *f;
      *i = 42;
      return result;
    }
But this will change the result of the function. So in practice if you want to do type punning using unions, the compiler must know about it.


Sure, by not accessing the members through the union type you lose the information the compiler needs to relax strict aliasing assumptions for union access. It's a potential footgun, but IMO only with careful aiming. It's also not strictly related to union member pointers but applies generally to aliased pointers.


You're right, apparently it changed in C99 so my knowledge is pretty out of date. Thank you for pointing it out.


The problem is in how the gcc (and to some extent clang) maintainers read the standard.

If the C standard says: the following construct is undefined, then as a compiler writer you have two options: you try to figure out what is sensible in this context, or you do something crazy that conforms to a literal interpretation.

For operating system code, you want the compiler to something sensible. Life is already hard enough. In just about all cases where the C standard introduces undefined behaviour, there is an obvious interpretation that makes sense to most C programmers.

If you want to get the highest possible score in a benchmark, you write a compiler that drops code left and right if you can prove that the code invoked undefined behaviour.

Unfortunately, compiler writers, in particular the maintainers of gcc, seem to care more about this ratrace than to write a good compiler for compiling operating system code.


> If the C standard says: the following construct is undefined, then as a compiler writer you have two options: you try to figure out what is sensible in this context, or you do something crazy that conforms to a literal interpretation.

Not exactly. Rather, the compiler is not constrained by any particular behavior of the construct which is said to be undefined. So if there is an optimization that changes the meaning of the undefined construct, it's all fair game, because the construct was not defined in the first place.


That's exactly the problem. Somewhere a programmer working on a compiler is coding an optimization that make a program run faster, but gives a different result from what the writer of the program intended.

That's only useful if you only care about the total run time of the program and not about what it is trying to achieve.


Yes. From the article: " The standard simply is not important, when it is in direct conflict with reality and reliable code generation."


His rant seems directed against the _argument_ that standards should be followed without question.


Except "strong opinions" is not what happened here. He's being verbally abusive.

I think it'd be helpful to be able to talk about this behaviour without needing to suger-coat it as "opinions".

There are far less damaging ways to say exactly the same things as Tovalds says, and someone with his position in the community should know better.

Punch up if you like, not down.


I think he's not really ranting at the guy submitting the patch. He's ranting at the the c standard committee and the compiler maintainers with their optimization fetish[1]. While at the same time redrawing a line in the sand.

[1] It's an open secret that most of the optimizations introduced in the last ten years provide no real benefit while making programs harder to reason about and trust. While at the same time the gcc backend is a trashfire. Hint, Microsoft's VC compiler produces better assembly code without any of these 'optimizations'


Notice that after his rant, he still tested the code, and merged it: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/6/5/774


Well he did start the rant with "I have no problem with the code, it's just the rationale that I disagree with." And from what I've seen, Linus is nothing if not pragmatic. Good code is good code regardless of the rationale.


Did he get some follow up from the author of the changes?


I think that's here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/6/6/88


Which shows how pointless the rant was.


I have no problem with the rant, just question its emotional source (presumably negative emotion from other areas of his personal life)


If you have invested 20+ years of your life into a particular project, and you have someone doing something that you consider potentially harmful to it, could that not be enough to react angrily?

I don't see why it would need to be negative emotion sourced from another area of his life that is leaking out here.

You presumably have to be pretty emotionally invested in something to work on it that long as a hobby and only later as a job.


It's important to bear in mind that Linux isn't written in standard C - it's written in a dialect of C implemented by recent-ish versions of GCC (there is a particular minimum GCC version supported), with certain compiler switches.

There's nothing wrong with this - it's an important enough project to be able to make those kinds of demands.


Android kernels are built with Clang. So really it's just missing support for MSVC, for obvious reasons.


For now, at least [1][2]. See the rest of that thread.. llvm guys really don't want asm goto, and kernel really wants it.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/14/724 [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/14/157


Well, yeah, that's what the other commentators here misunderstand. Sure the kernel is C, but a non-optional part is assembly in various forms that obviously is not standardized between compilers. So it takes effort to support kernel building. Google paid up and made that happen.


Clang was made to support GCC extensions and be as close to a drop-in replacement for GCC as possible. Linux misses support for MSVC, Intel C Compiler, XL C and basically every other C Compiler ever written except for these 2.


Clang doesn't support every GCC extension, though. For example, nested functions is something that it doesn't do.


Yup. And that one is a deal-breaker for me.

Nested functions is exactly how you would write it in assembly.

Does anyone know why clang won't support them? "Blocks" are fucking stupid.


Because throwing a trampoline on an executable stack is a hack and a glaring exploitation vector.

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2015-September/04503...


Straw man.

GCC doesn't use a trampoline for the following code:

    long f1 (void) { long i = 0; void f2(void) { i++; } f2(); return i; }
    int main() { return f1(); }
So maybe David Chisnall doesn't know what he's talking about? Or maybe he's talking about a specific use case further up the thread. I'm not going to speculate.

But to edify on my "Blocks" are fucking stupid throwaway, in clang you can do this:

    long f1 (void) { __block long i = 0; void (^f2)(void) = ^{ i++; }; f2(); return i; }
    int main() { return f1(); }
which is close enough I could almost paper over the syntax differences with macros, but clang produces unnecessary allocations(!) which are completely unacceptable for my targets and make clang unworkable for me -- even if I could stomach the dogshit assembly that clang produces during testing and continue to use gcc on the packaging server.

Surely clang could simply disallow passing the address of the nested function, if it's trying to protect people from themselves?


And Borland Turbo C, don't forget it.


MSVC doesn't support all of C99 anyway.


There's no such (real, usable) language as 'standard C'.


Nothing is really written in "standard C".


Swearing and profanity is an art form. Habitual swearing is bad style just like habitual use of smileys and LOL's.

If Linus would habitually curse in the kernel list, it would have no emphasis effect and it would be a really bad style. Linus using cursing in a rant equals [for wider distribution] and it works perfectly. I can't remember a single discussion linked to HN that didn't start from cursing. It provided the opportunity for people to be offended. For technical people it's a challenge (like a glove slap).

Example:

* his opinion about hardening: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/21/356

* previous message that collected the attention: "Those security people are f*cking morons." https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/17/767


> The fact is that gcc documents type punning through unions as the "right way". You may disagree with that, but putting some theoretical standards language over the explicit and long-time documentation of the main compiler we use is pure and utter bullshit.

this was the whole point of the rant.



Linus has done some (okay, lots of) wonderful stuff. However, his attitude here is pretty extreme. Being incredibly rude, then proceeding to merge said pull request. If Linus is willing to merge the PR, then it can't be that bad. Surely there was a more tactful way to approach this, even for Linus.


>Linus has done some (okay, lots of) wonderful stuff. However, his attitude here is pretty extreme. Being incredibly rude, then proceeding to merge said pull request.

He already writes that he's OK with the code ("can live with it") -- he's against the reasoning that accompanies it.


Good code or not, if he doesn't agree with the reason to merge it, why merge it?


Because the code is OK, but the _rationals_ in the commit message (union aliasing is bad) are not.

This is for history. If someone, later, say: "We should use union aliasing to fix this", someone would argue "No, we shouldn't because we already states _there_ that union aliasing is bad".

You can't consider a such amount of code like the kernel one without its commit history.

Here Linus explain why union aliasing is not "bad" per see, but considered "bad" because the C standard say so and he clearly explain standards are not holy book and compiler implementation is as important (something he always states).


But if he doesn't agree with the commit message, then asking for an altered PR with a different commit message is surely the way to go. Having to trawl the mailing list for maybe-happened-discussions seems like a stupid way to organize things. Maybe I just don't know how they structure the kernel development and documentation.


Presumably, there was a follow-up discussion.


He explicitly says the changes are fine. It's the argument that they should be merged 'because standards' that he's objecting to.


Why should he NOT being rude? Has anyone ever answered him in the same way? Has anyone ever publicly explained him that while being a sociopathic nerd he still must comply to some basic rules of conduct like we all do. The guy is willingly putting on and supporting the public image he's got and, obviously, loving it. I know, that he's smart and what not, but why should it be an excuse for being an asshole? I just realised that he reminds me of Taleb.


>Why should he NOT being rude? Has anyone ever answered him in the same way?

Several, but no one that mattered enough with respect to Linux for his opinion to matter in return.

His OS, his rules. Others can always fork it if they have an issue with that.

It seems to have worked fine as a gatekeeping technique for the last 25+ years, even if it hurts some feelings. Linus goes for an in-the-trenches, rough camaraderie, approach, rather than a "professional soft spoken cubicle workers" approach.


Linus goes for an in-the-trenches, rough camaraderie, approach

He's an outright toxic and abusive person. Characterizing a lack of toxic, abusive behavior as "professional soft spoken cubicle workers approach" is disingenuous.


Well, if he was "outright toxic", then he would have had negative effects on the kernel development. Which I don't see happening.

So what people mean with that is not that he actually has a toxic effect, but that they dislike his tone.


This is a malformed argument.

Having a 'toxic' personality does not mean he will produce bad code. Two completely different things.


I didn't say that "toxic = he'll produce bad code".

I said that the claim of those saying he's language is toxic is that his language poisons the Linux kernel community development.

And yet, I counter-argue, I see it doing just fine, and going from strength to strength, over the last 25 years. If there's any toxicity effect, I wont see it affecting much, if anything.

I could accept that it might have led some people who could have otherwise contributed away. But I don't see this having any substantial effect on Linux's development.

Perhaps it's even beneficial (since the outcome and results from Linux's development team is better than from any other Unix-like OSS OS, with their supposedly not toxic leaders).

If that freedom of language is all it takes to keep Linus happy, and stewarding the project as well as he has done all these decades, then so be it...


> Has anyone ever publicly explained him that while being a sociopathic nerd he still must comply to some basic rules of conduct like we all do[?]

Yes.

Back in 2014 several DebConf attendees publicly confronted Torvalds, quoting some of the outrageous things he's written to/at people and making him explain himself. It makes for some rather cringy moments and there is no evidence it had any meaningful impact on him. You may watch it all here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmHRSeA2c8


Taleb sees swearing as a form of signaling when you have acquired a certain "power" that gives you independence from others. He defends that by publicly swearing and being rude you are actually proving your competence.

See excerpt here: https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/892370148476190720


Am I the only one understanding that finding funny ways to rant is one of Linus' favourites hobbies? And so that he is not doing that to hurt people, but to entertain? He makes that particularly clear by attending gatherings about pirates' language, etc. Stop try to change him, because without this humorous spice his release notes would be way too boring.


Come on, this is wonderfully blunt!

> In fact, I'll take real toilet paper over standards any day, because at least that way I won't have splinters and ink up my arse.


You can be blunt without being rude. Most of the post is just rudeness.


Rudeness is a cultural variable.

An Englishman saying "that's interesting" can be more rude than someone else saying "get lost"


Linus Torvals says something technical and full of insights while keeping control over emotions - crickets nobody cares.

Linus Torvals adds some insults into the above or simple does not even attempts to keep control over his emotional side - half people jump up and down happy like a fourteen years old. Wow, look, he used insult! The other half suddenly turns into prude "I never swear nor insult anyone" Victorian aristocrats - despite having tweet feeds full of, and I am quoting here, "fucks".


first thing I do when I see a Linus email: ctrl+f "braindamage".

never disappoints.


I search for "garbage" or "trash"


Sometimes, "braindead".



Can someone ELI5 what the issue is with type punning and union aliasing?


Suppose you want to look at the bits of a floating point number, as though it were an integer. The type punning way to do that would be to access a double in memory through an integer pointer:

    double d = 3.14;
    int64_t *p = (int64_t *) &d; // !!!
    int64_t n = *p;
The union aliasing way would be to makeset the double field in a union and read the integer field back:

    typedef union {
        double d;
        int64_t n;
    } int_or_double;

    int_or_double u;
    u.d = 3.14
    int64_t n = u.n
According to the standard, the union aliasing approach is allowed, but the type punning one is undefined behavior.

---------

The standard team decided to forbid type punning to allow compilers to implement more optimizations. They still allow union aliasing because they felt there should still be a way to do low-level type casts if for those that absolutely want to.


No, type punning via unions is a gcc extension.

The standard only allows reading a value as the type it was written with or as char, and an access as char is only good for copying. If a char access used different bit order, that would be OK according to the standard because you couldn't tell unless you violated the standard.

It seems every compiler will tolerate a memcpy for type punning, even though this isn't required.


C99 and C11 allow type punning via unions (although apparently that only gets mentioned in a footnote)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11639947/


Does this mean that memcpy() is really more of a language construct than a library function, since it cannot be implemented correctly in fully defined standard C?


Yes. Check here for a discussion: https://blog.regehr.org/archives/959


Everything defined in the standard is in principle a language construct: whether it is builtin in the compiler or an actual function is an implementation detail. For many compilers, memcpy is both: they have builtin handling for it but fall back to the library implementation when there is no optimization opportunities.

Having said that, it is possible to implement memcopy in standard C: char pointers have an explicit special exemption to the aliasing rule so you are allowed to inspect objects as array of chars.


memcpy is legal and fine. To borrow the example from above:

  double d = 3.14;
  uint64_t i;
  memcpy(&i, &d, sizeof(d));
is perfectly kosher.


> is perfectly kosher

Aren't exact-bitwidth integer types optional even with C99 (let alone preceding versions of standard)?


They are optional, but only in the sense that if you can't exactly represent e.g. uint64_t, there can't be a uint64_t type. So the example above is kosher in the sense that it's standards compliant, even if it isn't perfectly portable (for reasons unrelated to memset type punning; that you're using uint64_t in the first place).

If an implementation can't represent uint64_t exactly, it can still have a uint_least64_t type of whatever width works.


I certainly agree with what you said as you said it. However, as usual, it is the implementation that kills it.

a) I believe sizeof (double) * 8 == 64 is not enforced by the standard either. One could argue that it is hard to find anything else these days, but (for a contrived example) I believe nothing prevents you from making your own port of GCC for some purpose, and make 'double' be 'float'. (From my memories, it is even far enough from rocket science.)

b) It already happened to me personally, to work with code where people have implemented their own uintXX types (because of the lack of the standard ones), and then over time these became narrower/vider.

So if we would like to have it portable, I think, nothing beats:

union { double d; char cc [sizeof (double)]; };

and there we are, back to what is in the standard.


I mostly agree, but with b) IMO the problem was that you worked in an environment that was already not concerned with the standard. I'm not sure if it's OK by the standard for a user to define types named e.g. int32_t that don't comply to the standard restrictions.

sizeof (double) can be guaranteed to be 8 if __STDC_IEC_559__ is defined, so checking that is an additional hurdle if you want to use memcpy for punning. That said, I think it can be assumed that you're writing non-portable code for a specific set of platforms already if you are punning floats to integers, because the representation is implementation dependent in the first place. Probably you also know the environments in which it will be compiled as well, so the example is a bit contrived.

Very much agree that unions are the easiest and standard way to do type punning. There's so many misconceptions about this somehow being unclear in the standard. Sure, it does reflect poorly on the quality of the standard that Linux contributors don't understand it and that Linus Torvalds actively ignores it, but if you know what you're looking for it's often not that hard to find a definite answer.


AFAIK even using union for the above purpose can be seen as "undefined behavior" when reading standard, and that's why the standard is especially wrong, as it makes some typical desired (and needed) outcomes impossible to implement, and at the moment clang still has problems even with the union variant whereas gcc allows you to use union by passing the compiler switch which effectively has the semantics "we promise we won't listen to the standard in this case."

That's why Linus writes:

"So the commit message that talks about how horrible union aliasing is is pushing a story that is simply wrong."

The commit message with which he disagreed obviously explicitly wrote something like (paraphrasing) "using union is undefined behavior by standard, so we are changing the code to not use it" etc.

Linus also wrote: "I'm not talking about the changes themselves - I can live with them. But the _rationale_ is pure and utter garbage, and dangerously so."

The rationale was (note, I don't have exact quote, I'm paraphrasing, if somebody has the original please give a link) that using unions for that is bad as per standard. Which is what the standard says but which is for practical purposes simply wrong. The standard is wrong an should not be followed, that was main Linus' argument.


What part of the standard should I read to come to the conclusion that type punning with unions is undefined behavior? C99 and C11 both explicitly mention that it's not, but maybe you're talking C89/C90?

IMO there are 4 highly relevant paragraphs in C99:

6.2.6.1: When a value is stored in an object of structure or union type, including in a member object, the bytes of the object representation that correspond to any padding bytes take unspecified values.

6.2.6.1: When a value is stored in a member of an object of union type, the bytes of the object representation that do not correspond to that member but do correspond to other members take unspecified values

6.5.2.3 DR283) If the member used to access the contents of a union object is not the same as the member last used to store a value in the object, the appropriate part of the object representation of the value is reinterpreted as an object representation in the new type as described in 6.2.6 (a process sometimes called "type punning").

6.7.2.1: A pointer to a union object, suitably converted, points to each of its members (or if a member is a bit-field, then to the unit in which it resides), and vice versa.

None of this implies that unions can't be used for type punning. What it does imply is that reading from a larger member of the union than you last wrote to will leave you with an unspecified value.


I think the clang and gcc contributors consider all this in combination with “strict aliasing” and “type” consistency attitude effectively if you just wrote a double to a union member, you can’t expect that reading integer from the same union has any meaning at all so they optimized that away “per standard”. To come to that, it’s not what is explicitly written when you do a keyword search for “union” but what is not said that it “must work” in spite of other “must work” and “undefined” standard statements. But ask them for the details, I’m just following the topic and have no active involvement.


> if you just wrote a double to a union member, you can’t expect that reading integer from the same union has any meaning at all so they optimized that away “per standard”.

gcc 4.9.2 for sure does not (-O3 -fstrict-aliasing). Not sure what clang does, but I'd be surprised if it ignores the standard. The standard makes it pretty clear what meaning it will have. Sure, gcc and clang maintainers may seem to read the standards like a lawyer looking to void a contract, but in this case it is actually very clear what they should do.

> what is not said that it “must work” in spite of other “must work” and “undefined” standard statements.

The standard makes it clear how to deal with the semantics: "In the abstract machine, all expressions are evaluated as specified by the semantics. An actual implementation need not evaluate part of an expression if it can deduce that its value is not used and that no needed side effects are produced (including any caused by calling a function or accessing a volatile object)." Only constraints directly use "shall"/"shall not" type language, but the expressions should still be evaluated as specified by the semantics.


Googling I've found for example this:

GNU extensions to standard C++ (and to C90) do explicitly allow type-punning with unions. Other compilers that don't support GNU extensions may also support union type-punning, but it's not part of the base language standard.

Also, apparently in C99 one relevant statement was:

“The value of a union member other than the last one stored into [is unspecified]

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25664848/unions-and-type...

Note: In case it's not obvious, I, personally, believe that, at least, using unions for type-punning has to exist and should be explicitly supported in the standards too. And that the compiler contributors should not produce practically unusable results even when some standard is wrong (for common use) or unclear. But the quotes like the above give a hint on which basis some try to cling to bad approaches in this special case. In other cases it's probably even harder to avoid unwanted results.


Several compiler optimizations center around proving which variables don't change. Allowing type punning makes it harder for the compiler to do this.


Make this construct legal behavior without making it 10x slower than clang/gcc are today:

  void wat(uint16_t *x, uint16_t *y) {
    *x = *y;
  }

  uint64_t a[100] = { 0 };
  wat((uint16_t *)&a[0], (uint16_t *)(((char *)&a[0]) + 1));

When you think you've figured that one out, try this one:

  uint16_t heh = 0xFFFF;
  extern uint16_t doesAnything(uint16_t *, uint16_t *);
  void wat(uint16_t *x, uint16_t *y) {
    *x = *y + doesAnything(&heh, y);
  }

  uint64_t a[2] = { 0 };
  wat((uint16_t *)&a[0], (uint16_t *)(((char *)&a[0]) + 1));


Missing the point. Linus was talking about union aliasing.


How well do they know each other? Is it possible Rafael (the contributor) wasn't as upset by this as an outside observer?

Linus is obviously being harsh, his words are also preserved publicly as a part of the contribution. He's arguing against the logical fallacy. Had he not swore: would we discuss this?


I'm in no way offended by Torvalds' typical expletive-laden rants. But they do strike me as a terrible way to communicate.

These outbursts seem to happen every few weeks, and have long seized to surprise. IF anything actually bad ever comes up, he has no further escalation available to raise awareness.

It also reminds me of these choleric bosses screaming at someone every day: it's almost always a sign that they're insecure, sociopaths, or can't handle their responsibilities.


This is the actual reason his manner of communication is poor - swearing and generally blunt language like this should be reserved for shaking people into action, whether it's due to their otherwise ambivalent attitude or the severity of the situation. By making a big fuss for every moderate concern he has, he leaves few options open for when the situation demands that people spring into action.


I never take these "what Linus just said" posts for their face value. To me, it sounds as a half-staged, half-talking-to-buddies, mostly good-natured grudges, for some reason I cannot explain. (That said, I am not contributing to kernel, my very first post to some kernel list got a much worse response for no good reason (not from Linus). It was enough.)

But I work in customer support of highly technical products, and I visit various companies very often. By now, I can figure this type of persons from the first communication -- not the ones who does it the way Linus does it (see above), but the real a&^%$%^$les -- owning some inner knowledge unavailable to others, just because they happened to be here from the bigbang and haven't evolved since. Boy, is this "rough but just and truthful" attitude counter-productive to projects! I haven't seen any exception to that yet.


I never really understood why people complain about Linus personality. If you don't like it go somewhere else nobody is forcing you to code for Linux.

Fork it and make your own.


Linus shows this behavior more rarely rather than often (about once a month) and usually in the direction of people he knows can take a bit of a rant.


Yeh, I get the impression he does it with people he would have a beer with.


> Fork it and make your own

Even Google couldn't pull that off with Android.


Another question is would Linux become what it's become if everyone would really have just forked it?


Another question is would Linux become what it's become if only nice polite guys were allowed to code it?


That's irrelevant, nobody's talking about allowing or not allowing to participate, but accepting help while insulting the helpers, seems disgusting to me and I really find it weird that some people readily accept that while demanding respect and politeness in other situations. Double standards – that's what it is.


I don't see him here "insulting the helpers". He's saying the argument for this change is bad, he's saying a bunch of things in the C standard are bad, but there's nothing personal there.


Then you do not understand the whole point of asking this question. Its speculative whether the counterfactual "Linus is nice to everyone"-Kernel would be better or worse. Both options are possible. Like everywhere in capitalism, just being nice and doing the right thing must not always select you as a winner...


> ... if everyone would really have just forked it?

well, if you can keep pace with it, why not ?



That's less "fork Linux" (which Google found to be unmaintainable, not to mention non-ideal from a licensing standpoint) and more "screw you guys, we're making our own kernel with blackjack and hookers".


Right, but why does an adult have to behave like a spoiled little princess anyway?


It's actually like a rough drill sergeant.

"Spoiled little princesses" are those that can't take some strong words and need hugs and smiles...


It's also people who throw fits with little provocation when they don't like things, which sounds fitting to me. Seriously, the thing gets merged anyway but he has to "express himself"


I found your post aggressive. Will you please change it to appease me?


I see what you're doing, and it doesn't make any sense. I just said I didn't like a pointless display of emotion, and so you do a "satirical" emotional appeal?


Funny, that people adore when Linus does it, but dislike when somebody else does that to Linus... Okay, whatever.


Can't say much changed over the years https://lkml.org/lkml/2003/2/26/158


I work with a codebase that implements a sort of OO inheritance in C. It looks like this:

    #define BASE_FIELDS int a; int b; int c;

    struct Base {
        BASE_FIELDS
    };

    struct Derived1 {
        BASE_FIELDS
        int d; int e;
    };

    struct Derived2 {
        BASE_FIELDS
        int f; int g;
    };
Then, it has lots of code that accesses Derived objects through a `Base*`, with ->a and so on.

Is this against the standard C aliasing rules? If so, how would this need to be rewritten to conform to the standard?


It is against the rules. To fix that, you'd need to put a field of type 'struct Base' in the derived struct(s) rather than just copying its fields.

edit: If you want to keep the existing syntax and can use GCC extensions, it should be legal to use an unnamed union:

    struct Derived1 {
        union {
            struct Base base;
            struct {
                int a; int b; int c;
            };
        };
        int d; int e;
    };
edit2: or, with -fms-extensions, just

    struct Derived1 {
        struct Base;
        int d; int e;
    };


Putting a field of type 'struct Base' adds extra padding in my case, unfortunately.


I believe there is a way to disable field alignment on a case-by-case basis. I could be wrong, though.


Yes, there's the GCC extension __attribute__((packed)), or #pragma pack, an extension supported by both GCC-style compilers and MSVC.


That is well-defined.

"One special guarantee is made in order to simplify the use of unions: if a union contains several structures that share a common initial sequence (see below), and if the union object currently contains one of these structures, it is permitted to inspect the common initial part of any of them anywhere that a declaration of the complete type of the union is visible. Two structures share a common initial sequence if corresponding members have compatible types (and, for bit-fields, the same widths) for a sequence of one or more initial members."


This does technically require that a union of those structs exists, even though it is not used. I don't know of any compiler for which this actually makes a difference though.


Ah, I misunderstood the context, you are right to clarify this.


I checked and we actually have a give union for everything. I didn't mention it because I accidentally got rid of it when simplifying my question (the original is full of macros).

Looks like we are in the clear! :)


originally fields (or rather structure offsets) in C were GLOBAL and could be used with any struct pointer, the Unix V6/V7 kernels used this to good effect, because of this unions weren't really needed (you just used a different field name from a different structure)


> In fact, I'll take real toilet paper over standards any day, because at least that way I won't have splinters and ink up my arse.

So Linus, made my day!


Kind of sad that a person as intelligent as him can get to his age and still not realise that talking to people that way is at best highly ineffective and at worst will make them actively hostile towards you. That's not to mention rude and mean-spirited.


I just don't see it. He is frustrated with the standard being wrong, no personal insult or anything.



> In fact, I'll take real toilet paper over standards any day

You can print the Standard on the real toilet paper and have the best of both worlds. Read before wipe!


I also wouldn't like being addressed like that and if I was I probably would quit working with him, but he gave a very clear explanation why he became more direct in dealing with people. And unless one lives that same experience in his own shoes it's not easy to make an opinion.


It is people that matter; all software is only made to serve people. One person can be the holder of a solution to an important problem, so that person must be able to express his ideas even when they go against the common wisdom.


plot twist: Linus actually merged it! :)

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/6/5/774


I sometimes wonder what the world of computing, or even the world in general, would look like today if Linus Torvalds hadn't existed, or happened to have not gotten into computers.


Better security in general maybe? The mainline kernel community is known for its conservatism on introducing security mitigation that may affect development in other ways. In comparison, BSD is more security-minded (M* Money per Linus). Although much has been changed after KSPP.


Except BSD even being older than Linux never really took off either in Desktop space or Servers.


Thanks AT&T suit and the MIT licensing, lots of companies use BSD derived OSes without giving anything back.

Linux only took off thanks to SGI, IBM, HP, Cray seeing value reducing costs from their own in-house systems to something else.


Agree with your points about the suit and Licensing.

> Linux only took off thanks to SGI, IBM, HP, Cray seeing value reducing costs from their own in-house systems to something else.

This seems unfair, Linux took off because it constantly kept getting improved and has more and more developers contributing to it. It didn't only take off because it was cheap, but it kept on improving. Also, the Elitist mindsets of some BSD devs and community go back to harm it. Try contributing to OpenBSD or FreeBSD and compare it with how approachable and relatively easy it is to contribute to Linux is.

Also, it's the fault of BSD's to not adopt or change to a better License at getting contributions back to its mainstream.

I also have major objections to calling anything more secure. No software is secure, each one of them has bugs. Some are discovered because more and more people use it. It's not like BSDs never had any CVEs ever.


It is not unfair, because the majority of "developers contributing to it" are on those company payrolls, 8h a day during a full week.

It would be just another BSD or Minix if it would be only university students and weekend coders working on it, and we would all keep using Solaris, Aix, HP-UX, Tru64, Ultrix....

As for security issues, it helps that Linus is against disclosing security bugs as such.


> It is not unfair, because the majority of "developers contributing to it" are on those company payrolls, 8h a day during a full week.

This is overwhelmingly true now, but it wasn't always.


Which is the reason why Linux moved beyond yet another UNIX clone hobby project.

I still remember how it was when I was getting distributions via Walnut Creek CDROMs.

As per Wikipedia, IBM, Compaq and Oracle started contributing in some form around 1998.

I guess we could look at commits history to see when IBM and friends actually started to provide features.


> It is not unfair, because the majority of "developers contributing to it" are on those company payrolls, 8h a day during a full week. Why don't the devs at those company contribute to BSD then? Care to reflect on this?


MIT license, they don't need to.

How much code do you think they got back from Sony, Apple, companies selling routers with BSD on them?

Even Google prefers to build their own OS from scratch with MIT license (Fuchsia) than keep on using Linux for that effort. They already reduced GPL use to the bare minimum on Android by removing gcc.

Then there was the whole suit which made most companies loose interest to be involved with BSD.


FreeBSD uses BSD License, no? Or am I missing something here? https://www.freebsd.org/internal/software-license.html


BSD and MIT licenses are almost interchangeable regarding requirements to the code.

They even appear as MIT/BSD in many projects.


Citations/Examples, please? I always thought these are different.


Simple Google search.

https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/217/what-are-...

Relevant part:

"o what both the 2-clause BSD license and the MIT license have in common are:

    Permits use
    Permits redistribution
    Permits redistribution with modification
    Provision to retain the copyright notice and warranty disclaimer
In addition the MIT license also explicitly allows:

    merging
    publishing
    sublicensing
    selling
However, all these freedoms are implied by the BSD license, because all these activities can be considered "use" and/or "redistribution" of the software.

The practical differences between the 2-clause BSD license and the MIT license are marginal. Which one to pick is mostly up to personal taste. Especially considering that both licenses are considered compatible, so you can take code under one license and use it in a project under the other, as long as you keep the license text around."

Yocto has files with such dual license.

https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-openembedded/blob/fido/m...


What are you talking about? BSD sees plenty of use, for its support of zfs, dtrace, and jails alone.

Unless you're heavily invested in the Linux kernel and Linux-only tech, I'd advise to keep your software running on the BSDs as well as Linux to avoid monocultures in your own best interest. The strength of F/OSS is in giving you choice, eg. by providing two (or more) interchangeable, excellent O/S's and compiler suites.


I am talking about comparable usage. Do not get me wrong. And it's best for everyone if BSD succeeds because then we have a choice. My pet peeve is that it is incredibly difficult to contribute to BSDs (say OpenBSD) compared to Linux. F/OSS project runs on community contributions and thrives solely on basis of that. I hope they open the process up more so that more and more users contribute to it.

Also, essentials things like graphics drivers etc, work properly so that the devs like us start using it as a daily driver and contribute to it's usage.


Windows NT. Linux not only killed off the existing commercial Unix's it also stopped Microsoft's takeover of the server space.


Microsoft wouldn't have bought GitHub :-)


Someone else would have.


They very well may have, but is there any compelling evidence that leads one to such a conclusion? (Or, were you referring to the purchase of GitHub...in which case, ignore my comment.)


(BSD :-))


Theo de Raadt has this potential on the alternative timeline.


Doesn't C have something better than that type punning via union to achieve the same effect? I understand Linus reasoning, but still it's an ugly hack.


See other comments, some variant of "type punning via union is not allowed according to the C standard" is what made Linus responding like that. Moreover, even using union for that is a compiler switch in gcc, to avoid compiler following "the standard." Linus points that following the standard is definitely wrong thing to do:

"When documented gcc behavior says one thing, and the standard might be unclear, we really don't care one whit about the lack of clarity in some standard."

I think the union thing was at least initially implemented as not functioning at all in clang, where developers "followed the standard."


Type punning to char* is explicitly allowed. (But going from char* to any other type is not...)


Also you're only allowed to read that char


And void *, obviously.


union wasn't designed for the type punning in the first place. It's just historically used for type punning.

For modern compiler, just use memcpy and compiler can optimize away the memcpy and produce the exactly same code.

But the kernel developers has some issues on trusting compiler generated code.


This guy writes like an angsty teenager. I find it hard to take him seriously.


I Wish I could write like that.


When people can't find fault in the technical argument, they start attacking other things like. > Oh! He is so rude, He insults so much.

If you have a better argument to counter his logic, please post that, it would be more useful for everyone involved. Posting pretty useless comments here is pretty lame.


Wait, so according to you it's OK to be as rude as you wish, as long as you are technically correct?

I think most people couldn't care less who's right or wrong in this discussion. They are simply reacting to the discourse.

Personally, I'm far from convinced that there even is an objective right or wrong in this question. It's probably just a matter of taste and/or perspective.

I find Linus behavior rude because in discussions like this he seems to have little to no understanding of other perspectives than his own.

Either that or he is deliberately provoking this other fellow to get him off his high horses.

In either case, it's not exactly accepted public discourse.

He has said himself that he needs to do this to drive his point across, and given the medium and audience I can agree that the political challenge of running the project must be huge.

But surely there must be a more diplomatic way to the same end?


> Wait, so according to you it's OK to be as rude as you wish, as long as you are technically correct? I never said that. My argument is that people/culture are different. What is considered offensive/rude in some culture is considered normal in other cultures.

> Personally, I'm far from convinced that there even is an objective right or wrong in this question. It's probably just a matter of taste and/or perspective.

This is not always true. Sometimes there is only one correct/pragmatic way of doing something. And if someone asserts that it's nothing wrong.

> I find Linus behavior rude because in discussions like this he seems to have little to no understanding of other perspectives than his own.

You can't say this is the case always. I have read a lot of the discussions like these. A lot of times, he writes a pragmatic and valid explanation of his dislike about a certain topic.

> In either case, it's not exactly accepted public discourse.

Again, you are assuming all cultures and societies are alike, they are not. There is a vast wide world with different thinking and a culture other than the Silicon Valley bubble. It's time people stop generalizing everything under the sun.


I'll critique his prose on efficiency grounds. He wastes many words making a point.


Let's stop policing speech, alright? You can use as many words as you want to express your views. I personally would not use the same words he might use, but let's not be hypocrites and say that none of us have written an angry or frustrated response to something that we think is stupid and just plain wrong.


I posit that there is no policing here. By what definition is there policing?

Speech is a topic of discussion just like anything else under the sun.

(And also: People here have no authority or power to police anything.)


I did use as many words as I wanted.

You can take as many steps as you want to get to the mailbox too. And you'll be taking more steps if you detour to go sniff dog shit. Going in a straight line solves two problems - it's faster and it smells better.


Here is a slightly more readable version that's not white-on-white, half-pixel-thick text: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/6/5/769


Reading on a 400dpi 300nits screen in a slightly dark room, the lkml link hurts the eyes significantly more.

Reading on a shitty 96dpi 100nits screen from 2004 in a bright room, the lkml link is the more readable one.

Another situation of the eternal issue of "we need a web standard for specifying relative contrast", not "make everything blinding #000 on #fff".


By the CSS2 standard, #000 and #FFF are sRGB colours, with #000 targeting 0.2cd/m^2, and #FFF targeting 80cd/m^2, with adjustments for ambient light level.

With CSS4, you can choose other colour-spaces instead.

The web standard is there, but so long as 99% of users have setups which emit 300+cd/m^2 and say they're emitting 80, you can't do much with it.

The push toward HDR displays gives us another chance to 'get it right' wrt calibration, but a quick google search of 'HDR washed out' demonstrates why it's an uphill battle to get consumer displays to be honest.


Yeah, it's a major issue — and with CSS there's also no easy way to set HDR colors either.

Hell most displays nowadays don't even do sRGB, which was defined as the colorspace and contrast of an average 1990 CRT.


Also useful would be a standard way to normalize the apparent size and weight of different fonts so the fallbacks won't look like shit. Apparently my problem is more with the Courier font bundled with Ubuntu, as replacing Courier on that page with just about any other font makes it somewhat readable (still a "disabled" gray, but at least visible).


Or perhaps do not specify any dumb colours, let the browser do its job of presenting things.

Oh wait, you know you can switch CSS to default layout? Perhaps the browser could use an option to still apply layout but ignore formatting and colours.


The problem is that browsers are generally really terrible at presenting text in a readable and good-looking way. Compare http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/ and http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/ - most people would agree that the second is significantly easier to read.

I really wish browsers' default formatting could be trusted to be as readable as possible, but alas.


i really wish a person many software engineers idolize or at least obviously respect and pay attention to, myself being excluded from these camps, didn’t communicate like a child.

it’s an embarrassment for the field.


Children communicate like that?


yes.


I think we are at the point where someone just needs to put up a Linus swearing email tracker with analytics and shit and stop posting these threads. We have to come to the realization that the discussion on this is:

a) useless- doesn't change anything b) the publicity is affecting the other side more

So basically Linus is Trump


I really love that he is the way he is. Smart and honest. Nothing like Trump.


Not sure what the word "smart" means but he is surely pragmatic and based on such emails looks like he gets easily frustrated.


He gets frustrated with people that are supposed to be experts but that don't match up to that in practice (in his eyes at least)


Nobody is expert and everybody makes mistakes. He should probably lower his expectations.


You don't write Kernel and maintaining quality by keeping low expectations.


"Smart and honest" is literally the justification Trump voters would usually employ.


Oh, that's cute. The mere fact that you say that makes it clear you have no idea who Trump is.


A celebrity who speaks with a highly authoritative voice whether they have any idea what they're talking about or not. Sounds about right.


Do you have a link to where Linus talks in a highly authoritative voice when he has yesn't idea what he's talking about? All the cases I've seen where he's talking in an authoritative voice have been about topics he's an expert in.


I mean, just google anytime he talks about security or licensing. And, frankly, people more expert on, say, C, than Torvalds, are dime a dozen. Okay, a large heap of dimes, but still. They just tend to swear less, and in the OP you can see them defering to him to deescalate the situation.


It's not interesting to argue about who's "more expert". If Linus is just "slightly expert", that's very far away from having no idea what he's talking about. My claim wasn't that Linus was the "expertest" C programmer in the world.

I'm neither an expert in security nor in licensing, most of the things I've heard him say about either sounds pretty reasonable. Could you link to an example where he talks out of his ass, and explain why what he's saying is stupid? Both licensing and security strikes me as the kind of thing the author of the world's most used FOSS kernel has thought a lot about.


Linus invented Linux and git. He very much is qualified to talk about his oppinion on aliasig rules. Frankly, anyone who has worked in C is. But, if we're going to play the call to authortiy game: who the fuck are you and what have you done?

More

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: