Hacker News new | comments | show | ask | jobs | submit login
Chess boxing (wikipedia.org)
219 points by MilnerRoute 35 days ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 110 comments



During the peak of my athleticism, another high level athlete friend and I got very interested in Chess boxing, but he was a FAR better chess player than I and I was a far better martial artist than he.

We ended up settling on playing Scrabble-apples (non-referral link: https://www.amazon.com/Parker-Brothers-4979-Scrabble-Apple/d...), sort of a "each player builds their own scrabble crossword in front of them" game. Whenever you run out of tiles in your hand, you say "Peel!" and everyone draws an additional tile from the bag.

We put the bag at the bottom of a snow covered, forested hill.

2+ hours of snowy hill sprints combined with trying to make words out of scrabble tiles later... I fully appreciate how difficult it is to transition back and forth between brain and body heavy activities.


There were days when I had time to exercise for 2-3 hours straight, and I figured I would save time by trying to write some code or invent some app in my head while doing jumping jacks and other workouts. After a few hundred of them, I couldn't concentrate on anything but the counting and making sure my form was okay, and after a while even that took a lot of effort to focus on.


That's the exact reason that I enjoy going to the gym and exercising, especially intervals and other high intensity exercise without long breaks. It's a great way to shut off from work and other things in life for a while.

At least for a while, none of that matters, because you're more concerned about your immediate situation.

It's the same reason that I enjoy hiking and hunting. No point in worrying about your bills or relationships or work when you're 12 hours walk from the road, and 4 hours drive back home.

It's a much healthier form of escapism than drugs or alcohol.


You have given me new motivation and a plan of attack on kicking off my gaming and media compulsion. Thanks!


There was a great moment recently in Alice Isn't Dead. I wanted to chop it down, but I can't do it justice that way:

There’s this saying, right, wherever you go there you are. And it’s true, there’s no destination far enough that your own faults won’t follow. But what I think the saying misses is that other cliché: it’s not the destination, it’s the journey. Because while it’s you who leaves a place, and you who arrives in a place, right? It isn’t necessarily you in between. The you who sits on the road is a different you, one with far less responsibilities. One whose choices have been narrowed down to which exit to stop at, what music to listen to for the next 100 miles. It’s freeing, being taken out of yourself and replaced by this road version. And yes, it’s tiring when you arrive and your worn out, stressed self has to step back into her place, but those moments in between? Those are worth it. Those road hours are the one bit of freedom we get, and the reason we feel like that is because they take away most of our freedom. Sometimes the less options we have, the more free we feel.

I used to be pretty skeptical about the various "constant connectivity is making us miserable!" stories, because my relationship with the various boogeymen listed didn't match the descriptions. I don't compulsively check email, refresh instagram for new likes, or generally let apps send push notifications at all.

These days, I think those stories have real merit, except they're too narrow in their view of the problem. For me, the itch isn't "I should check Facebook", it's the simple knowledge that at any time I could pay bills, order a gift, read a textbook, or otherwise get things done. It used to be that if you were at work or the bank, that's what you were doing; now you can cash a check from the office or finish work from the line at the bank. Even while you're being productive, there's no narrowing of scope to relax your thoughts.

There are lots of tricks to help that, but nothing has ever beaten hiking and climbing for simply forcing me into the present.


I fine rowing on Ergs particularly hard work as cardio goes. There's no momentum stroke to stroke, so every single one requires full effort. When I did this at uni, my strategy for coping was to spend the entire time doing mental maths / projections for how much any drop in rate would impact my final time (and conversely how much could be gained by an increase if kept up until the end).

It's not hard maths, but it was the perfect distraction from the problem of dealing with how little effort I had left vs what I wanted to achieve. Trying to think on abstract problems was more than I could achieve. Not thinking about anything but my next stroke wasn't enough. It was (and remains) the perfect strategy for me.


Scrabble-apples sounds like a clone of Bananagrams, even down to yelling "peel!" I wonder which came first...


Bananagrams (2006) is before Scrabble Apple (2009). Scrabble Apples is Hasbro so likely a re-licensed reskin (BGG doesn't list it as such though)

BGG also says that Bananagrams is a re-implementation of Pick Two! (1993).[0]

[0]: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4975/pick-two


Ugh I think I meant bananagrams?


CCP Games holds an event every year in Iceland called Fanfest where they invite players for EVE Online out to hangout with devs, drink, party, learn about upcoming EVE Online changes, etc.

I bring this up because most years they do something crazy for one of the nights. Back in 2011 they did a chessboxing match.

Here was there promo/announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBWBmYfqVQ

And the actual match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJy2kIWtyvQ

It was pretty crazy. It's one thing to know whats going to happen, but when blood actually started being drawn it just went to a whole new level.


CCP also have the best recruiting video ever made :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q


I went to see one of the championship finals a few years ago, and it is excellent fun. There are two built-in moments which are bound to be awesome: (1) when the box round is over, tension is through the roof, and the boxers are sat down around a chess board with classical music on, and (2) when two steps before a chess mate, the about-to-lose guy has three minutes to beat out all the smart from the opponent. Best spectator sport I can imagine, can only recommend to see one.


> (2) when two steps before a chess mate, the about-to-lose guy has three minutes to beat out all the smart from the opponent.

LMAO... I hadn't thought of that angle... This may have single-handedly convinced me that this the best spectator sport ever


I can confirm this sport is excellent from a spectator standpoint. I also went to see some championship (I think) fights in London a few years ago and having never seen it before I was very skeptical. After the event however, I raved about it to anyone willing to listen – still do, evidently!


The Wu-Tang Clan Classic: Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJk0p-98Xzc


On a related note, RZA is big fan of chess. Doesn't surprise me to see the Wu-Tang clan have a chess themed song.

In a 2007 interview [2] he says that, based on Josh Waitzkin's appraisal, his (unofficial) ELO rating would be around ~1400 ELO

[1] https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/07/arts/music/07clan.html [2] http://www.uschess.org/content/view/7924/349/

Edit: Updated with source


Funny how the song predates the sport by 10 years.


The song is predated by the Kung-fu movie "The Mystery of Chess Boxing" by 14 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of_Chessboxing


Thanks for posting this, because if you didn't I would. That said, here's a remix.

https://soundcloud.com/wugazi/03-another-chessboxin-argument


When I saw the title I immediately thought "The game of chess is like a sword-fight, you must think first before you move." ; )


This is cute, but with what we now know about CTE, I can't help but find boxing, football, etc disgusting.

I'm not just being a pretentious nerd, I actually like sports and I used to love watching boxing / MMA.

It is so so so much worse than what we thought. Dave Mirra, Chris Benoit, Aaron Hernandez, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chron...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/footba...


Boxing at amateur level does not produce any noticeable changes in the brain: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2034739/

Please find boxing enjoyable again. ;)


Considering that we now know that repeated subconcussive hits over time can result in CTE later in life, and that even amateur boxers during sparring will suffer many of those, my priors are strongly in the other direction. It’s going to take many more studies coming to the same conclusion to convince me otherwise.

Part of my priors is my exposure to amateur MMA, and training and sparring with people who fought amateur MMA. You take a lot of hits in sparring, and some of them are hard enough to disorient you, even thought it’s not a concussion.


As a follow on, if the hit is hard enough to disorient you, it is likely doing damage. If I understand correctly, most of the accumulated damage in CTE comes from subclinical impacts.


> This is cute, but with what we now know about CTE, I can't help but find boxing, American football (handegg), etc disgusting. FTFY

Seriously the rest of the world calls 'Soccer': 'football'


"Unqualified, the word football is understood to refer to whichever form of football is the most popular in the regional context in which the word appears."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

...though association football does not have a concussion problem the way American football does. I'm not aware whether Australian or rugby football have concussion issues as well.


Soccer does have brain trauma issues, from people bouncing the ball off their head. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/1...


HN isn't "regional" though.


I feel like I could have written your comment.


Even without the long-term damage associated with CTE, there is limited intellectual value to any sport that involves hitting others in the head.


What do you mean by "intellectual value"?

I find it interesting to watch combat sports, because it's like an experiment in human physique and psychology that reveals of what kind of self defense is actually effective and how humans function under extreme conditions. For me, that is valuable even if I never got in a fight for the rest of my life.


God forbid someone not spend their life minmaxing for "intellectual value" (whatever that means).


Without going to boxing I never would have developed the discipline and endurance necessary for my university degree. How's that for intellectual value?


Likewise (MMA in my case).

Learning to fight generalizes beyond actual fighting.


There is such thing as value that is non-intellectual.


I'm not looking forward to the day a computer beats a human at this.


It is already winning half of the battle.


I'm pretty sure if you shoved a heavy enough server rack containing deep blue into the ring, you would have a hard time knocking it out. In fact, you'd likely hurt yourself in the process


5-10 years.


An operating theory of chessboxing i have heard is that it's really, really hard to play chess very well at all once you've been punched in the head. As such, chessboxing is essentially boxing, with extended breaks between rounds, during which the contenders happen to play chess.


In the words of David Mitchell (paraphrased) Mike Tyson would be a very good chess boxer given that after the first boxing round, his opponent would be unconscious.


In the words of Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."


And AFAIK, that's the reason why the first round is a chess round.


Tyson vs Kasparov. I think it would be easier for Tyson to avoid mate in 1 round of chess than for kasparov to avoid a knockout in one round of boxing


But if you can defend in the ring, and find the quick win on the board...


I thought I might be good at chessboxing until I saw the champion. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84863-World-Chess-...


.... of course the champ is Russian.

Seriously, the only way this sport could be more Russian would be if they somehow added a vodka-drinking contest round.


Somebody seriously needs to write a strategy article on drunken chess boxing.


And you have to play the chess round while squatting.


That's pretty racist, just so you know.


I’m sick of that label/epithet getting tossed around. No it isn’t. Racism is a prejudiced attitude towards individuals on the basis of their ethnic or national origin. The comment demonstrates none of that.

Seriously, is the world really a better place if we can’t laugh at one another and especially ourselves?

Moreover, it sounds to me like the commenter is showing a decent level of respect (or sportsmanlike admiration) towards Russians in general.


Well, he's the heavy weight champion though (formerly light heavyweight, but heavy nevertheless). They, too, have weight divisions in the sport.


So nobody here sees nothing wrong trying to hit somebody as hard as you can in their face? And encouraging the youth to be good at it?

Personally when I see a boxing match and see somebody hit in the face it hurts me. I think that's called empathy. Getting used to boxing means you get used to seeing violence and it doesn't hurt so much any more. Then when the moment comes for you to hit someone in the face I guess it just feels like good sport. No?


I play chess and have boxed and done martial arts, although never together in the same ring.

I found chess more destructive than boxing — it serves little to no cardiovascular benefit, and can be hugely addictive. (Bullet chess and competition play can readily take over your life, and I've seen careers and relationships destroyed by it.)

The fittest people I've ever met have been boxers. Yes, the risk of head trauma and eye injury during fights is higher than even MMA (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26327287 ), and every fighter must weigh the risks of that with what they gain from the sport.

> Getting used to boxing means you get used to seeing violence and it

> doesn't hurt so much any more.

(1): Getting hit still hurts.

(2): Seeing people getting hit outside the ring hurts more, because you're more aware of what they're going through.

(3): I've seen boxing (and martial arts) restore respect in people and their communities; kids transformed from roaming the streets to training at the gym every day (not always in the ring; many days just working out).

It is easy to see two people knocking the crap out of each other in a ring and assume those exchanged blows embody everything the sport has to offer, but like many contact sports there are more positive side-effects than bloodied faces and the normalisation of savagery.


Right getting hit still hurts, but seeing somebody else get hit does not hurt so bad, once you start paying to go to see a boxing match. I'm not REALLY against boxing let people do what they want to do. But I think the viewpoint that it idolizes knocking other people out is worth bringing into the discussion. Ali was the greatest but even he suffered brain damage because of boxing I believe. And then Tyson was the greatest but he was violent even outside the ring.


Do you think Tyson was violent outside the ring because of boxing? I think due to his upbringing and history before boxing, I don't think it is the boxing to blame.


Tyson was robbing houses with shotguns before he'd ever entered a boxing gym.


The most common comments I hear from people who have become proficient at various types of violence are:

They experience less desire to assert themselves physically because they understand who they are and feel more secure in themselves.

They understand that you can’t really tell who is and isn’t worth getting into an altercation with just by looking at a person. There are a lot of very unassuming people who are quite good at handling themselves physically.

Out of continually confronting contained (often consensual) violence they develop a deep respect for what people, both themselves and others, are capable of. The idea of casually entering into real violence without good reason is not taken lightly.


My favorite part of [good] boxing gyms is that anyone who comes in there expecting to do violence quickly gets paired with the most seasoned opponents who put them back in line. These violent types then either never show up again, or get the hint and start playing nice.

Personally I like boxing because there's something incredibly confidence building about knowing that you can handle getting punched in the face and keep going. Very empowering.

It's a lot less unpleasant than most people imagine.


I wouldn't necessarily equate boxing with violence. They're relying on training, discipline and rules, not trying to kill each other.

Actually if it came down to trying to do real violence, I think a lot of boxers wouldn't be any more prepared mentally than anyone else. It's orthogonal, in other words. On the other hand the physical training lends some advantages in defending oneself (but also in grocery-carrying, train-catching and everything else).

I also wouldn't equate offensive hitting and defensive hitting. When it comes to defensive, what you say is true: "when the moment comes for you to hit someone in the face," it helps to be mentally prepared for it. That moment may arrive by someone else's decision.

Finally when it comes to self-defense, hitting someone in the face specifically (unless it's an eye gouge or something) is really not a good thing to do without padded boxing gloves on. Faces are bony!


In fact, competitive chess requires adapting a very merciless mindset and swapping empathy for "killer instinct".

In one interview - with Peter Thiel, by the way - current WC Magnus Carlsen was asked about Josh Waitzkin. (Waitzkin is a fairly well known and highly talented chess player, whose biography inspired the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". He's left chess for martial arts since.)

Carlsen half-jokingly said Waitzkin hadn't succeeded in high level chess due to his insufficient killer instinct, which apparently made him settle for a "more peaceful" sport :) https://youtu.be/ZBnSU-LX1ss?t=1h2m

Or to quote former world champion Karpov, "Botvinnik, Korchnoi and Kasparov had to hate the opponent to play successfully" (Botvinnik and Kasparov = other WCs, Korchnoi was a close contender for the title).

Is that something we should be encouraging the youth to be good at? ;)


You are right chess can be harmful too. Those wasted hours studying and memorizing start-games and end-games and then as you say the hatred. Maybe it's good mental exercise but you might better use your time studying mathematics physics science or engineering and that way help yourself and others better.


Well I'm not exactly saying that (it sure might be, like anything that can consume your life)...

My tongue-in-cheek point was along the lines that just because a discipline doesn't involve punching someone in the face - unlike boxing, called out for it by the parent comment - doesn't necessarily mean it's not a brutal sport... in psychological dimension, obviously.


this is more than a little condescending towards boxers. thank goodness we have the blessed empath to show us the error of our ways.


hallowed be his name, let his gentle nature guide us to a more gooder future


> Getting used to boxing means you get used to seeing violence and it doesn't hurt so much any more.

I practiced thai boxing for many years and it may sound odd, but I don't really see boxing as a violent sport, no more than let say soccer. I've never hit anyone (other than on a ring) and never will, and I hate violence as much as most people. In the context of boxing I see hitting as a technical move.

Besides the occasional bruises, rare broken ribs or black eyes, I've never injured myself. Most of the time, you practice with control and with various protections, wary of your partner level.

Competitions are more violent, but even there, there's a gradation. Fighters are matched by skills and weight, depending on their level use protections (helmet, shin guards), and the referee is there to stop the match if needed.


I also don't think boxing is especially 'violent' but people do get hurt. I used to box competitively on a college team (NCBA) and almost every fighter on the team above ~140lbs had had at least one concussion, with the frequency of concussion increasing with the weight of the fighter. The coaches took every precaution with headgear and sparring only with 20oz gloves, and official fights had doctors ringside, but the rate of concussions was still insane. The personality changes can be drastic in the short/long term and several teammates mentioned failing exams days after their fight. I really miss it but won't ever compete again because I'm afraid of the long-term risks. The ironic thing is, getting hit in the body always hurt less for me than a head-shot.


Headgear makes head trauma more likely by increasing the size of the target


That's true. I've also heard that it increases trauma by making a hit hurt less, because the fighter is able to keep going instead of being bothered by more superficial issues (e.g. cuts/bleeding).


That is essentially why boxers wear gloves. In no-gloves boxing, the head is rarely a target because it hurts the hands so bad. But the audience likes to see knockouts, sp gloves come on. I find it distasteful to design a sport around giving a person a knock on the head hard enough that their brain releases control over their body for a while.


Doesn't hurt that much if you punch correctly (and they don't teach that in boxing classes because you always wear gloves), but very dangerous if you don't punch correctly (as in broken wrist, meaning the fight is over for you - not a good idea in a real fight - and anyway you will be handicapped for several weeks).

But then, open-palm strikes are very effective and virtually riskless for the attacker. If you are good at it, you can at the same time strike the opponent's chin and put your fingers in his eyes, but here we are obviously way out of sport's territory and way into aggressive self-defense / violent street fight.


Isn't thai-boxing like Karate or fencing where you stop before you actually hurt the opponent, having shown that you could do it? Whereas in boxing there is no such conception of stopping before you actually hit.

Does boxing cause brain damage? This article says: "Almost certainly": https://www.livescience.com/1519-boxing-brain-damage.html


No, Thai boxing or Muay Thai is not a point fighting sport. There are knock outs. Kicks, knees, and elbows are allowed.

There's also forms of karate that allow full contact.


I boxed twice as an amateur, and got stopped in my second fight after my eye closed up (southpaw got a thumb in my eye is my excuse).

But I look at Thai Boxing matches with flying knees, elbows, etc and that recent video where a fighter footswept someone and then kneed them in the head on the way down and I think "Fuck that."


While muay thai does have point scoring, it is more like boxing where you score points for landing a damaging technique and do not stop on a point being scored. Funnily enough punches often do not score unless they cause considerable movement of the opponent as they are seen as less damaging than a kick, knee or elbow.

One area that is different to a lot of other sports is that fights aren't stopped for bleeding often as it is very common for thai style elbows to open gashes on the face. A lot of experienced fighters will have scarring around the eyes from getting cut with elbows.

That said in the west fights are split into 3 classes (4 if you include novice fights) C which has no elbows or knees to the head, B which has no elbows to the head and A which uses All legal thai techniques


For avoiding unnecessary brain damage, Turing's run-around-the-house chess sounds like a better idea to me, though I'm not sure whether many people have played it or what the rules really are. (Is there also a clock?)


The violence that is conducted by people who mutually agree to inflict it upon each other has nothing to do with the violence that is conducted upon those who have made no choice in the matter.

Perhaps empathy isn't so useful if you're lacking objectivity. Or perhaps failing to understand why people do the thing they dos means you don't have as much empathy as you think.


I enjoy watching boxing, but understand your point. However, the purpose of hitting someone in the face isn't to procure pain but to make the opponent lose consciousness (actually it's a lot more painful getting hit on a forearm). In a boxing match there's no hatred for the opponent, although some boxers need this to boost their performance, and no desire to injury or harm; it's just like fencing with hands in place of swords.

In many ways, boxing is one of the less violent sports around, both for those who practice and those who watch. I'm more of a football (soccer) fan than a boxing one, but if I had kids I'd rather bring them to a boxing match than to the stadium where they would grow learning that faking a foul can bring a penalty and the victory.


(Speaking as someone who sees contact martial arts as a perfectly (mentally-) healthy activity ...)

I've known several amateur fighters, and they all report that the decision to actually attack their opponent in anger is the hardest step for most people making the transition from training for fitness to actual competitive fighting.

Two of those people were exceptions, though: one was a junior lawyer whose approach to her first fight earned her the nickname "Basher", and the second a cleaned-up ex-gang member who used to fight for fun in bars.

I've often wondered whether Basher was merely applying the same mindset she learned as a lawyer to the ring.


> Personally when I see a boxing match and see somebody hit in the face it hurts me. I think that's called empathy.

It's also empathy to see someone hit someone well and feel the flush of success.

I'm not athletic, and have never been good at sports, but the very few times that I've done them and done well it has been exhilarating in a way intellectual pursuits never have been.


I went from not knowing anything about Chess Boxing-to-seeing it multiple times today. I came across this: Chess Boxing's role in empowering young women in India.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/womensadvancement/articles/2018/0...


The most important thing about chess boxing is that it was inspired by an awesome sci-fi comic by an even more awesome artist: Enki Bilal. If you haven't already, you should read his comics, at least the Nikopol Trilogy.


I totally agree with you, awesome comics! I was so surprised to see in the first lines of the Wikipedia page that "Chessboxing was invented by Dutch performance artist Iepe Rubingh.". I find this attribution quite controversial, even if Enki Bilal is cited later in the article. A better wording could have been "Chessboxing was invented by Dutch performance artist Iepe Rubingh, inspired by French artist Enki Bilal’s comics."


Indeed what Rubingh did was implementing Enki Bilal's idea in real life competitions.

The idea of the sport itself is explicit in the Nikopol comics: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&q=enki+bilal+ch...


I've seen a few chessboxing matches. The thing about boxing is that it's very rare to end by KO (especially at the level of your typical chess-boxer), so it would normally be decided on points. However, because it's speed chess they're playing, and adrenaline is high, it's fairly hard to get all the way to the final round without a checkmate.

So every single match I've seen has been won by the better chess player, and the boxing has just been an interesting diversion.


But surely if you duff the other player up enough it messes with their chess game.


Anyway, an opponent necessarily runs out of time before all the rounds are over.


I saw this in London as few years ago. During the chess rounds the competitors wore headphones and a commentator came into the ring and explained what were good moves, which were mistakes. Really helped novice like me.

Someone had also had a banner which read "Take his queen, punch his spleen"


I like playing chess and working out. So I combined chess and workouts. There are several variations,

* Do X crunches every 2 or 3 moves.

* Do X pushups/pullups/situps/skipping/etc every 2 or 3 moves.

Disclaimer: I am also creator or a chess variation halfchess.com


What a great game! I lost of course. I like that it makes the next game easier, and that you can play with eight or ten pieces.

Did you try with six?


I won fairly easily. The engine is quite weak, it falls for basic tactics (is it custom made?). But, obviously, I assume that's not the point... it's just fun to play :) For a chess player it feels kind of like 2048. Plus, I guess, good exercise for some endgame training.


No I didn't try with six pieces. :-) Thanks for the like. I am working on a two player version that connects random people to play against each other for the next version.


I did some chess boxing once as part of a stag (batchelor?) party for a fellow jiu-jitsuka.

It was great fun, and folks take it seriously. We were embarrassingly bad at chess by comparison (and pretty ropey at the boxing too).


Does anyone have a chess scoresheet (bonus points for annotation!) showing the caliber of board play? I'm assuming the openings are solid but the middle game and endings start to get very odd.


World Champion chessboxers are apparently rated in the mid-1900s ELO, which is readily achievable by enthusiasts and not particularly impressive.

As a chess player, this makes sense to me. A super-elite grandmaster will win eventually against a skilled amateur, but the amateur can often find ways to stall positions or drag things out. On the other hand, an elite boxer can literally kill their opponent in seconds if the opponent is sufficiently below their level.

I can’t imagine a setup for this type of contest that doesn’t heavily weight boxing skill to making the chess component nearly superfluous (or at least effectively a tie-break). Mike Tyson against Magnus Carlson wouldn’t last five seconds longer than the first round of chess. A skilled amateur boxer vs. Magnus Carlson might take thirty seconds more than that.


You may be surprised to learn that chess does get played in prison, not by many people but those that do indulge can end up extremely good at it after a year or two (or more!!!) inside. In this other world of chess there can be betting involved too, so the stakes can be high, which is good for improving skill levels. After all, who wants to lose a game if one's mates have bet significant sums on you winning?

Chess boxing seems to be in a similar vein of getting people to play the game, reaching out to those that otherwise might not play.


“You may be surprised to learn that chess does get played in prison”

Growing up, I would have. But after moving to NYC my eyes were open d to how it isn’t “just a nerds game” and popular with a massively diverse group of people.. it’s really great to see actually.


Some of theses chess addicted inmates become really good. Bloodgood, for example became 2700+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Bloodgood


Yeah but it was a fraud.


how do you get from "possibly via manipulation" to "fraud" ?


Can't resist the chance to recommend the Japanese comic Bunburyoutou (文武両闘).

There is a free trial (in Japanese) at http://maoh.dengeki.com/try/bunburyoutou/index.html but that is geoblocked an image search using the kanji above should give you the idea.

Basically the author took the idea of chess boxing and then let his imagination run wild. For example: In one contest the fighters competed to factor a series of increasingly large numbers, with the winner getting the sum of the factors in seconds for a free attack on their opponent.


There is a Chess&Run tournament every year at Enghien-les Bains (north of Paris, France).

Each player has 10 minutes for the whole game, like in a classic blitz game, but the clock is 10 meters away.

Next one is on May the 19th.

http://www.echiquierdulac.fr/?p=2744 (in french)

Demo : http://studio.stupeflix.com/v/0thPHAyqDOpc


Frog Fractions [1] had a great history of boxing in narration form. Video form is here [2].

[1] http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/ [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlTJIJS8p0


Anecdotally, I play chess much worse when resting between sets in the gym than when I'm sitting at my desk or on my couch. After a few profoundly stupid moves while playing chess during workouts, I remembered hearing about chessboxing and it making a whole lot of sense given what had just happened to me.


This reminds me of Squashboxing: https://youtu.be/pUQ8BfBlQww

I was kinda hoping that you could punch WHILE the other player was moving pieces so you'd be incentivized to play quickly to defend.


Wasn't there some weird flash game you could play that was narrated by someone describing chess boxing?


Frog Fractions? http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/

Edit: Just replayed it to that point. It's not talking about chess boxing, just (a very incorrect history of) normal boxing.


There’s a Wu Tang Clan song called Da Mystery of Chessboxin’. Just sayin...


It’s sort of weird that they have weight classes but not IQ classes.


For a moment I thought I saw Chest Boxing




Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact

Search: