His YouTube channel includes many videos of the development, assembly, and operation of his calculator. Watch a short demonstration at https://youtu.be/ShFkJgck6Pw
Adam Savage commissioned Marcus to build a copy. Adam unboxes his 3D-printed Curta on YouTube at https://youtu.be/j9uRckJLqLk
Ultimately, Adam has done much more to put him in his current spot than just co-host Mythbusters. He has gone to maker events, cons, and works hard to encourage others to take up the making hobby. He makes tutorials on how to create props freely available. He actively participates in the community, and makes people feel good about themselves - such as unboxing and praising creative efforts.
IMO, Adam is the quintessential example of what is possible when someone no longer has to worry about providing for food and shelter, and can do what they want. Maybe he's the 1% in that regard, but the value provided by his 1% is worth the other 99%.
Last month, I bought a lathe and mill and started teaching myself machining, with the goal of making it myself. It's going to take a long time, but it's pretty amazing making brand new Curta parts.
Last time I visited her I used it to estimate sqrt(2) to 3 digits precision. (Result is on the left side https://imgur.com/a/CoEuC)
such as "Old Calculator Web Museum" | https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15821248
I have a cheap 300USD FDM printer and even on that you can put a 0.2mm nozzle on and use 0.04mm layer height. These sizes however are already not very practical, in addition to being excruciatingly slow to print it does a very poor job of handling any geometry with overhangs in the printed object.
Even the cheaper SLA models (i.e. Wanhao D7 is ~500USD shipped from china and a kickstarter model called SparkMaker is supposedly going to be 250USD) are capable of fantastic levels of detail.
Everything produced as part of this project is being released into the public domain. Everyone should be able to inspect, visualize, or even build their own Curta calculator; it shouldn't be fated to forever be an expensive relic on eBay.
Interesting. I wonder if the Chinese might take off with the plans and start making clones, the same way you can now find surprisingly good mechanical watches on AliExpress.
Would be worth updating the title to (2015) or (2016)
You can see it in action here: