So I stayed an hour or two longer every couple days and each time picked one task from the checklist and wrote a Python script that would do that job for me (such as making sure some .INI file were having the right settings, or some registry settings were set, or some installer was run).
Soon enough, the script was doing enough of my work so that my time could be spent working on the script instead of mindnumbingly editing the same INI file over and over again, and eventually the script did everything. I shared it with my colleagues and soon the 40-point checklist was reduced to: 1. Run the script.
It also provided me with excellent job security and a route into later software development jobs :)
After getting tired of constantly searching github and phabricator, I built a small tool that would open git repositories, files, branches, and commits in the browser.
I wrote one to rename my 300 DBVisualizer connections so I could get to them by typing the initials of the server and database. It also put the department number on the end. I wasn't good enough to parse the XML so I just went through line by line.