I've been asking myself similar questions, and made a site for it at https://www.deepthoughtapp.com
I've been using this as a way to understand myself better.
Success at work does bring me happiness. But happiness is fleeting as well. There are moments of frustration at work, which bring my mood down. I believe the feeling of progress drives a lot of happiness.
- to better to deal with the frustration
- to accept accept frustration as the cost of happiness. I don't think there can be happiness without frustration.
- to understand my rhythms of highs and lows better
- look at small successes, daily successes, personal growth
- find fulfillment. What makes me fulfilled.
- Understand my motivators. The need for autonomy, mastery, and the purpose of it all.