Right now, we have user pays.
I think deregulation could/will rebalance these things.
- Our emailer will get a cheaper package.
- The news sites will get pressure to lighten up - more video compression, more care about image sizes.
- Youtube will probably be forced to share ad revenue with ISPs - probably leading to more ads.
- The illicit video streamers will probably be very unhappy as their bandwidth goes way down.
- The torrenters will probably be asked to pay more.
- Maybe we get more infrastructure.
- Maybe we get monopolies busted up.
IDK, all of this is speculation. So are all the loudly trumpeted possible downsides (of which I am truly fearful as well.)
But I just want some non-hysterical even-handed exposition. Is that too much to ask?
aren't all the things you bring up solved by usage based billing in the current model? thats pretty different than selective transit.