Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

J1 is for internships. It is known to be exploited in white-collar work such as programming though. What this means is that you can get paid the normal sum and are treated (unless a shitty workplace) equally despite the visa implications.

You have a year or two (if I recall) of time to apply for a J1 once you have graduated. You don't study while on a J1.

And yes, J1 can be approved from 3 to 18 months. It's not a long time, but depending on what your goals are (if 95 in your name stands for year of birth, you are young, maybe just to experience the valley) then it might suit you.

I know people who have got H1Bs, O1s and L1s after J1. I'm not sure what the process is like, but AFAIK it includes some lawyering because J1 is a non-intent visa.

edit: I forgot to mention that the two year home residency requirement does not apply to you if you pay for your trip yourself. Only if you use government funding during your stay will you be applicable. Although I've heard that residents of certain countries can have the ban waived if needed. Not sure is that right though.

And to clarify, I'm no lawyer, but someone who was on J1 in the valley a year ago.

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact