Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

It's really permanent unless one commits certain crimes or lives abroad for an extended period of time without taking certain protective steps beforehand.

if you have stayed abroad for a few years, and you wish to stay abroad and you don't mind losing the greencard, do you have to file anything to renounce it or is it enough that you just 'overstayed' abroad?

There's no requirement of a formal renunciation but from a tax liability standpoint, this sometimes make sense since you end up drawing a line in the sand.


Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact