Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login

Hi Peter!

I am an software engineer in a French startup that will be participating in an accelerator in the US for a couple of months.

I am from an african country so I need a visa to travel to the US. Also, I am en employee, not a co-founder, and I don't have any shares or stock in the company. Also, I will continue being employed and paid by the French company.

What visa should I apply for ?

I did a lot of research and I think I should apply for a B1 visa. But since it is not supposed to cover "productive work", I am not sure 100%.

The B-1 is probably the best option but you are right, you are not allowed to engage in productive work while in the U.S. in B-1 status. I would recommend that you consult with the incubator's immigration attorney because these can be tough/problematic visa applications.

Thanks for your helpful answer.

Does that mean that I should not be doing any programming during my stay in the US ? I am the only software developer working on the product, so that may be a little inconvenient for us.

This is something that you should speak about with an attorney because while you don't want to cross any lines, the specifics really do matter.

Guidelines | FAQ | Support | API | Security | Lists | Bookmarklet | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact